Bama S Clinton-Dix Reinstated by NCAA

RunInRed

Emmert is giving nicky some time to work a deal with Texas, so he can make a clean exit.

To me that's one of the biggest problems with NCAA sanctions. The coach should not get a free pass, or be allowed to move on without any punishment. He should at least have to pay out some big bucks. Pete Carroll just slithered on over to the NFL and didn't miss a beat. He was never punished at all.

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NCAA can't get to them in the NFL which is understandable. Kellly, Carroll and Tressel were penalized and likely JoPa would have got hit too if he had not passed away. There is no guarantee that a coach can escape punishment.

Emmert is giving nicky some time to work a deal with Texas, so he can make a clean exit.

To me that's one of the biggest problems with NCAA sanctions. The coach should not get a free pass, or be allowed to move on without any punishment. He should at least have to pay out some big bucks. Pete Carroll just slithered on over to the NFL and didn't miss a beat. He was never punished at all.

Don't you think that the players should be punished in some way. I wish that they could mess them up with their NFL contracts, and then maybe these players would think about what they're doing to their schools and their teammates that have done nothing to deserve punishment.

Don't you think that the players should be punished in some way. I wish that they could mess them up with their NFL contracts, and then maybe these players would think about what they're doing to their schools and their teammates that have done nothing to deserve punishment.

Now this is a rival fan that knows what he's talking about, pay attention bg03!

Not trying purposefully to be mean to a Bama fan but don't play the "innocent teammates" line here. I can almost guarantee that at least one teammate knew when Fluker got on the airplane. And at least one other player knew about Ha Ha getting a "loan" from a coach.

This will never happen unless the NCAA and the NFL get together. I believe the ONLY way it would even begin to be discussed was if the NCAA stop allowing the NFL so much access to see players in practices etc, so they only were able to evaluate players based on games and game film. The the NFL would have no reason to get involved. Even if the NFL reached an agreement to penalize players I dont know if that would even stop them at that point. Some of those NFL guys pre write their checks to the commissioner each week and act like taking money from them is no big deal. I just dont know how you could ever stop it. You might cut some of it back but not stop it. College football is a HUGE business, sprinkle is shady boosters, money hungry agents and players who never had anything growing up it just makes a recipe for this activity.

It's not that I don't. Reggie Bush was supposed to turn in his Heisman....don't know that he ever did. He was ineligible for that honor, and rightly so.

There should be consequences for all involved. I'm just not sure what you can take away from a college athlete that they don't already take. Not all of those that cheat make it to the professional level.

I will say that I do understand the serious financial pressures most of these kids face, and the fact that they are young,confused,

inexperienced,uneducated, and vulnerable to being manipulated and exploited by older people with lots of money. That's just the cold hard truth. I tend to judge those older people with money a little harsher because they are like vultures. I included coaches like Saban in that predator category because that's exactly what he is. As long as there are desperately poor, naive kids with athletic talent, you will have exploitation by coaches, boosters, agents and even parents and "guardians" like Peaches. Especially those kids who have a destitute family depending on them to make it into the NFL. Saban and those like him use these kids primarily for their own reasons, not because they actually want to help them.

As the mother of a 19 year old son, I do see things from the player's perspective as well. It's not an excuse for cheating.....I'm just saying that these kids may not see it the way we do because of their circumstances in life. To them, it's a little bigger than just football. It's a way out of poverty for their entire family. That doesn't make it OK, but I don't see anything changing because of the bigger social issues surrounding a lot of these kids. It is what it is....

Put the heavier burden on those who are supposed to have the best interest of the kids as their top priority. Then see if that will slow it down. Coaches like Pete Carroll and Saban should have to pay a significant personal fine and be banned from college campuses in every way .The same should go for those boosters . In Saban's case, bammer should be forced to take down that statue, since it portrays the biggest cheater in college football since SMU.

Not trying purposefully to be mean to a Bama fan but don't play the "innocent teammates" line here. I can almost guarantee that at least one teammate knew when Fluker got on the airplane. And at least one other player knew about Ha Ha getting a "loan" from a coach.

I'm sure someone did, but I'm talking about the players that didn't, and the ones that would come later to be on the team that is being punished because of something that a another player that is off in the NFL making big bucks did.

Look at Ohio State last year. Those players had a perfect season, but they couldn't play in a championship game(good for us)

because of what some other idiot players did. To me it's just not fair. I wish that if they find out a player did something like that before the draft, he should have to sit out a year and if after the draft, he has to give back any bonus that he received from the NFL for being in the first round, and if that comes from his agent, that only makes it better. If players were punished like this, then maybe they would try to think about someone other than themselves.

I know it has to be hard for some of these guys if their families are in dire straits and they're offered big bucks, but if they'd just be a little patient, then the family would still get the bucks, just a little later, and you haven't hurt anyone.

I get on my soapbox over this, but I hate when this happns to any school.

I guess I'm the pessimist about this. I wonder if Emmert and Derrick Crawford, the NCAA enforcement person who's also a Bama grad, are working with Saban on how Saban and Bama can cover their asses before the investigation starts.

I imagine UAT has lawyered up by now. Lightfoot & Franklin are pro's at this type stuff - they know how to deal with the in's & out's of the NCAA and they know how to skirt around things to get program's off on technicalities.

It's not that I don't. Reggie Bush was supposed to turn in his Heisman....don't know that he ever did. He was ineligible for that honor, and rightly so.

There should be consequences for all involved. I'm just not sure what you can take away from a college athlete that they don't already take. Not all of those that cheat make it to the professional level.

I will say that I do understand the serious financial pressures most of these kids face, and the fact that they are young,confused,

inexperienced,uneducated, and vulnerable to being manipulated and exploited by older people with lots of money. That's just the cold hard truth. I tend to judge those older people with money a little harsher because they are like vultures. I included coaches like Saban in that predator category because that's exactly what he is. As long as there are desperately poor, naive kids with athletic talent, you will have exploitation by coaches, boosters, agents and even parents and "guardians" like Peaches. Especially those kids who have a destitute family depending on them to make it into the NFL. Saban and those like him use these kids primarily for their own reasons, not because they actually want to help them.

As the mother of a 19 year old son, I do see things from the player's perspective as well. It's not an excuse for cheating.....I'm just saying that these kids may not see it the way we do because of their circumstances in life. To them, it's a little bigger than just football. It's a way out of poverty for their entire family. That doesn't make it OK, but I don't see anything changing because of the bigger social issues surrounding a lot of these kids. It is what it is....

Put the heavier burden on those who are supposed to have the best interest of the kids as their top priority. Then see if that will slow it down. Coaches like Pete Carroll and Saban should have to pay a significant personal fine and be banned from college campuses in every way .The same should go for those boosters . In Saban's case, bammer should be forced to take down that statue, since it portrays the biggest cheater in college football since SMU.

You make some great points Belle. If you want to see exploitation in the finest sense, look no futhur than ANY college football message board's "Recruiting" section.

These talented athletes are a commodity to be courted, wooed, swayed and enticed by college football coaches. We (even us Auburn fans) love nothing more than to see our staff reel in a 5* stud for our football team. We live in a conference where every team that wants to be competitive better have a top notch recruiting staff that's is willing to act like a vulture and scoop up these studs so they can field a winning football team. The kid gets a free education, room and board, and the opportunity to show his skills on TV every fall Saturday. The school get to haul in millions upon millions in ticket sales, concessions, and the local economy gets a boom for the home games. College football is big buisness and a lot of folks are making big money off of it - the student-athletes aren't supposed to see any of that $$ unless they are lucky enough to get drafted.

Your last paragraph is comical. UAT taking down a statue & Saban getting banned from every college campus. Pffff :-\

Has the University of Alabama made any statement about any of this?

Have they made a statement about a coach going on administrative leave?

Have they made a statement about the NCAA investigating?

The NFL has only done this once to my knowledge. They suspended Terrelle Pryor for the first five games of his NFL career before he was drafted after he got tOSU in trouble and then left early. Not that it mattered anyway because Pryor was not going to start initially while he learned more about playing QB. Here is a tongue in cheek article that was written about it. http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/6874169/terrelle-pryor-suspension-nfl-ncaa-merger

While I do agree with most of what you said the "put the heavier burden on those who are suppose to have the best interest of the kid...." made me think. Well in the end isn't that their parent(s)? I mean where do these parents think their son is getting these cars, suites, etc..... from. The majority of the these parents are looking for a pay day for their kid because that means they get one also. So turning a blind eye by the parent is worse to me than a coach. I have 10year old son (11 next month), it's my responsibility as a father to do my best to keep him in line and honest. Now granted he is not at the college age yet, but I think I would be able to know what he can and can not afford when he is in college. I recently sold my truck. When the guy that bought it came to look at it, he said he really wanted it but wouldn't be able to pay me for a couple of days until he had the cash. He was worried that I was going to sell it before he could get all the cash together and wanted to give me $500 down on it. I told him the truck is yours, lets wait on exchanging any money, and I promise I will not sell it to anyone else no matter if someone offers me more money, which someone actually did. A few days later when we finalized the deal and he paid and signed the sales receipt, I told him that someone did offer me $500 more dollars if I would sell them the truck the day before. The guy that bought the truck asked why I didn't? I told him, I'm raising a son how can I expect him to be honest if I'm not honest myself.

At what point do we stop using poverty as an excuse for excepting these extra benefit? Or being devils advocate to my own question should we not let it continue so that maybe they can better themselves and their family? It would be easier to accept if there were not so many that came from nothing, got their pay day and were set for life, only to blow it all and be back were they started.

Often the NCAA puts what the call a "show cause" penalty in their sanction regarding the offending coach. Meaning, any school that tries to hire a sanctioned coach has to show a good reason why they are hiring or they are subject to penalties. Currently Pete Carrol, Jim Tressel, and Chip Kelly have "show cause" pending against them. Of course they all took NFL jobs to circumvent that penalty.

Often the NCAA puts what the call a "show cause" penalty in their sanction regarding the offending coach. Meaning, any school that tries to hire a sanctioned coach has to show a good reason why they are hiring or they are subject to penalties. Currently Pete Carrol, Jim Tressel, and Chip Kelly have "show cause" pending against them. Of course they all took NFL jobs to circumvent that penalty.

Didn't know the Chipper was in with those miscreants.

Essentially Bama has said nothing except "player suspended indefinitely" and "coach suspended".....basically said the absolute minimum...barely more than a "no comment".

To me that near silence is saying worlds about the situation. They know they have problems and as noted, are lawyered up and trying to negotiate a settlement of some kind.

Essentially Bama has said nothing except "player suspended indefinitely" and "coach suspended".....basically said the absolute minimum...barely more than a "no comment".

To me that near silence is saying worlds about the situation. They know they have problems and as noted, are lawyered up and trying to negotiate a settlement of some kind.

Have they actually said anything about the coach? The only thing that I saw was the "report" from the Tuscaloosa News. Or, is the Tuscaloosa News considered the UA Ministry of Information?

Only that HCD was suspended indefinitely and that Coach Harris was placed on Administrative Leave.

See above.

No and they don't have to make a statement even when it happens. The NCAA will not make a statement either. It is up to the school being investigated to announce any NCAA investigation. They are not required to do so.

#hotwheelz #payrolltide

For those interested, here's a picture of the Dodge Charger HaHa Clinton-Dix had his possessions stolen from (1 of 2)

BVsLhVaCcAAqgeq.jpg

Here is a side-view of the Dodge Charger Alabama's HaHa Clinton-Dix had his possessions stolen from.

BVsMKiiCEAARKnN.jpg

@Rand_Getlin

That's a nice ride! Impressive rims and custom striping!

hell...I can't afford ths that and I have a pretty damn good job and the wife works.

Your last paragraph is comical. UAT taking down a statue & Saban getting banned from every college campus. Pffff :-\

Pfff all you want !

But you/me/we, Penn State, and the rest of the nation never thunk'it it with JOE PA and he was every bit a living breathing legend... to most everyone.

Have they actually said anything about the coach? The only thing that I saw was the "report" from the Tuscaloosa News. Or, is the Tuscaloosa News considered the UA Ministry of Information?

Maybe it was just a report in the news and not directly from the school. The point is, in the past they jumped out immediately with an announcement that their Compliance Department had thoroughly studied the claims (for about a half hour) and the school has committed no violation....and it's back to business as usual.

This time.....nobody from UAT is saying anything....no indignant denials which is what we usually get..... all you hear is crickets.. That should tell us more than all the carefully crafted news items "explaining" why there is nothing to see here.

#hotwheelz #payrolltide

For those interested, here's a picture of the Dodge Charger HaHa Clinton-Dix had his possessions stolen from (1 of 2)

BVsLhVaCcAAqgeq.jpg

Here is a side-view of the Dodge Charger Alabama's HaHa Clinton-Dix had his possessions stolen from.

BVsMKiiCEAARKnN.jpg

@Rand_Getlin

hell...I can't afford ths that and I have a pretty damn good job and the wife works.

Look in the background in the top photo, Reuben Foster's red Hummer is sitting there.

#hotwheelz #payrolltide

BVsLhVaCcAAqgeq.jpg

@Rand_Getlin

Isn't he parked illegally?

Only that HCD was suspended indefinitely and that Coach Harris was placed on Administrative Leave.

See above.

No and they don't have to make a statement even when it happens. The NCAA will not make a statement either. It is up to the school being investigated to announce any NCAA investigation. They are not required to do so.

Actually, in the case of the latter, public institutions are required to fulfill requests of such information. They may delay. They may not be timely. However, IF media make official request, they must answer that request. It will be interesting to see how & when they process that request.

Actually, in the case of the latter, public institutions are required to fulfill requests of such information. They may delay. They may not be timely. However, IF media make official request, they must answer that request. It will be interesting to see how & when they process that request.

When UAT was under investigation for the textbook scandal that remained a secret for a looong time. There were a lot of msg board rumors but nothing from mainstream media. I thought some media tried to get that info from UAT but were thwarted. I could be wrong. UAT has always seemed to have their own set of laws or rules though.

Archived