Welcome to the Top 25

WarDamnEagle#1

Fresno State & Northern Illinois are ahead of us.

Virginia Tech at #19 is very confusing.

VTech being ranked at all is ludicrous.

They're 6-1 with the only loss being to the #1 team. They have at least one win over a top 25 team.

Plus, its worth pointing out that, with very few exceptions Beamer wins 10 games a year. I know they slipped last year but he usually puts together 10 wins albeit he has never beaten a top 10 team. Our problem is and always has been inconsistency. Auburn is not a traditional power and has been all over the map. Voters are reluctant to give us anything and I think that's just fine.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know some people dont care and some do but Auburn has finally made it in the top 25, coming in at #24.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

As an (admitted) aside,

We apparently put the conference over a top

“The Southeastern Conference set a record for most schools in The Associated Press college football poll with eight ranked teams.”

“The record for most teams from one conference in a regular-season poll had been seven, done many times, including this season by the SEC. The ACC and Big Ten have also reached seven ranked teams in season.”

(Though “The SEC also had eight teams ranked in the 2011 preseason poll.”, and underlines mine)

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9819670/sec-slates-record-eight-teams-ap-top-25

A lot of SEC hate in those comments

Yes there is. I hadn't noticed that but clearly those who closely follow these rankings have worked up a serious case of SEC hatred. :Sing:

It's quite hilarious.......we can't beat anybody out of conference except for cupcakes. God help them if our STAT-man unleashes on them.

It's quite hilarious.......we can't beat anybody out of conference except for cupcakes. God help them if our STAT-man unleashes on them.

I guess all those OOC teams SEC played in the BCS NC game were ALL cupcakes.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch -

If I read this correctly, we're getting some love from relevant computers:

14. Auburn

http://andersonsports.com/football/ACF_frnk.html

28 Auburn

http://www.cfrc.com/Ratings_2013/WK_7.htm

19. Auburn

http://www.colleyrankings.com/currank.html

23. Auburn

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf&sub=FBS

Looks like Sagarin and Wolfe have not posted yet

ridiculous that the coaches have us at #28, AU came back and hung in there against LSU. We won all other games period, beat a ranked Ole Miss team. AU can beat A&M and AU could win the next 5!!

ridiculous that the coaches have us at #28, AU came back and hung in there against LSU. We won all other games period, beat a ranked Ole Miss team. AU can beat A&M and AU could win the next 5!!

I don't know why it's ridiculous. Really, we haven't beaten anyone of great note. Best win is Ole Miss and they are 3-3. Besides, expecting a big jump in the polls after pounding WCU is just unrealistic. Also, most of the coaches don't actually watch any other games, so they can't be expected to know anything about the LSU game.

They're 6-1 with the only loss being to the #1 team. They have at least one win over a top 25 team.

Plus, its worth pointing out that, with very few exceptions Beamer wins 10 games a year. I know they slipped last year but he usually puts together 10 wins albeit he has never beaten a top 10 team. Our problem is and always has been inconsistency. Auburn is not a traditional power and has been all over the map. Voters are reluctant to give us anything and I think that's just fine.

You do realize we are #13 ALL TIME in WINS....and #17 all time in Winning Percentage. Virginia Tech is below us in both categories. Virginia Tech wins 10 games because of their annual weak schedule and nothing more.

I don't know why it's ridiculous. Really, we haven't beaten anyone of great note. Best win is Ole Miss and they are 3-3. Besides, expecting a big jump in the polls after pounding WCU is just unrealistic. Also, most of the coaches don't actually watch any other games, so they can't be expected to know anything about the LSU game.

Some of the computers think our best win was Washington State

Some of the computers think our best win was Washington State

It arguably was

Ole Miss is starting to look worse by the week and Wazzu is as well

Our wins look bad in retrospect

Who has Washington, Northern Illinois, Fresno and Texas Tech beaten?

Washington - defeated Illinois on the road, Boise State, & a decent Arizona team...losses to Stanford (#5 @ the time) & Oregon (#2)

NIU - undefeated...won @ Iowa & @ Purdue, winners of 18 straight regular season games

Fresno - undefeated...beat Rutgers (who beat Arky, narrowly lost ot Louisville) and Boise State

Texas Tech - undefeated...tied for Big 12 lead @ 3-0 in conference

Those all are pretty solid credentials when you compare them with our schedule. Either way, if we win this week, we shoot way up the rankings, probably something like #16 or so.

Washington - defeated Illinois on the road, Boise State, & a decent Arizona team...losses to Stanford (#5 @ the time) & Oregon (#2)

NIU - undefeated...won @ Iowa & @ Purdue, winners of 18 straight regular season games

Fresno - undefeated...beat Rutgers (who beat Arky, narrowly lost ot Louisville) and Boise State

Texas Tech - undefeated...tied for Big 12 lead @ 3-0 in conference

Those all are pretty solid credentials when you compare them with our schedule. Either way, if we win this week, we shoot way up the rankings, probably something like #16 or so.

I would put a ranked Ole Miss team and a stronger than expected WSU team up against any of those wins.

You do realize we are #13 ALL TIME in WINS....and #17 all time in Winning Percentage. Virginia Tech is below us in both categories. Virginia Tech wins 10 games because of their annual weak schedule and nothing more.

Yeah I realize also we're coming off 8-5 and 3 - 9 seasons after wining the NC. Are you telling me Auburn has been consistent? Polls are not about what your team did 50 years ago. its about what have you done lately. Nobody in their right mind is going to rank Auburn high THIS year coming off a 3 - 9 season. Thats obvious have a look at the polls!

I'm glad to see us ranked, but it is short-lived unless we upset A&M. If we lose, then we might see a ranking again if we sweep Florida Atlantic, UT and Ark,

At this point, regardless of whether Marshall or Johnson starts, I think 8 wins is the clear minimum expectation for this team. But the weak A&M defense and Georgia's injuries are raising expectations.

I don't necessarily expect a win at Kyle Field, but great D-line play, winning the turnover battle, and strong downfield passing are the trifecta that can make it happen, and I certainly expect a very competitive game. If we do win, it would be a sign of a complete turnaround from last year, and show us to be ahead of schedule on the rebuild. It would also be a great spark for recruiting...

Yeah I realize also we're coming off 8-5 and 3 - 9 seasons after wining the NC. Are you telling me Auburn has been consistent? Polls are not about what your team did 50 years ago. its about what have you done lately. Nobody in their right mind is going to rank Auburn high THIS year coming off a 3 - 9 season. Thats obvious have a look at the polls!

Sorry. Blue -- but you said, and I quote, "Auburn is not a traditional power." Tradition goes back more than two years. And, oh yeah, that 2010 season was ok.

Auburn is a traditional power. Folks have not computed the last 3 years well. That's their problem. But to say we are not a traditional power, and to hearken back 50 years, is just plain ignorant.

I think we will continue to climb in the polls no doubt. A win at TAMU, should get us in, or come very close, to the top 10. It is not out of the question for us to be at 10-1 when bammer polutes the air when they step foot in Auburn. I would think 11-1, 12-1 could put us in the "big game". A lot would have to happen with a bit of good luck, but never rule this team out of anything!

Congrats to the coaches and players for all their hard work in reaching this accomplishment. The fact that we are even sniffing the top 25 one short year after the worse season in AU history is truly a great accomplishment! Now the really hard work begins.....staying in the top 25!!!

Archived