Tennessee Recruiting

aupops2

Pops, do you know how they are getting away with signing 35?

If they signed 21 last year that bumps them to a possible 29 this year. Now, assuming that of last year's class of 21, 6 were early enrolees that counted back on 2012, then they are at 29+6=35 legal this year. PS: I don't KNOW what they did last year, I don't follow Tenn. recruiting that closely. But if they do sign 35 this year, that's what had to happen to make it possible.

PPS: it's also entirely possible that Tenn. can't sign 35 this year but they are ignoring that fact in order to line up a big crop of players. On signing day morning they could, as Saban has done in the past, tell some guys that thought they had a firm offer "sorry, we don't have room but if you want to walk on or take this greyshirt offer we'll talk..."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to 247, utk enrolled 23 players in 2013 with 5 EEs. In 2012, 25 enrolled with 6 EEs with room to count those 6 back to 2011.

So if they counted 5 back last year, they'd only be able to sign max of 30 in this class. It's my understanding that 5 is the max number to be counted backwards per SEC rules. I don't see how in the world they think they can sign more than 30. :gofig:

As I mentioned earlier, they think they have found a "loophole" in the rules. Butch Jones is the new "hero" on the block, so someone may have to take him down a notch or two. I really think that Mikey's analysis is the closest to the truth, though. BTW, since we are going after a couple of their commits (Lambert, McDowell,etc,.) they have started a negative recruiting campaign against us, headed by none other than Tommy Thigpen. Says he knows a lot of the things wrong with Auburn, because " I was there to witness it firsthand". Guess we can put him in the barrel with Loeffler.

As I mentioned earlier, they think they have found a "loophole" in the rules. Butch Jones is the new "hero" on the block, so someone may have to take him down a notch or two. I really think that Mikey's analysis is the closest to the truth, though. BTW, since we are going after a couple of their commits (Lambert, McDowell,etc,.) they have started a negative recruiting campaign against us, headed by none other than Tommy Thigpen. Says he knows a lot of the things wrong with Auburn, because " I was there to witness it firsthand". Guess we can put him in the barrel with Loeffler.

m'fer

Yes, here is a short writeup in Al.com about the loophole and Tennessee.

Al.com- 12/6/13:

" Is there a recruiting loophole when it comes to the oversigning rule and has Tennessee found it ?"

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/12/is_there_a_recruiting_loophole.html

Al.com- 12/6/13:

" Is there a recruiting loophole when it comes to the oversigning rule and has Tennessee found it ?"

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/12/is_there_a_recruiting_loophole.html

I wonder why the SEC office has not addressed their interpretation of the rules. Seems like you would want to clarify in order to avoid controversy.

Al.com- 12/6/13:

http://www.al.com/sp...g_loophole.html

Nowhere does that rule state that recruits can be signed "as early as August 1st." In fact, it states quite clearly that recruits may only be signed between December 1st and May 31.The only reference to August 1st is that the rule became effective on August 1st, 2011.

Even a Philadelphia lawyer can't make that rule out to say what Jones/ the UTk media are wanting it to say. If they do, indeed, sign 35 it will be because of the scenario I outlined above.

Here's a clue: The rule became effective 8/1/11. Do we really think the rest of the SEC is stupid enough to miss a significant loophole that provided a big recruiting advantage for over two full years? I don't.

According to 247, utk enrolled 23 players in 2013 with 5 EEs. In 2012, 25 enrolled with 6 EEs with room to count those 6 back to 2011.

It's my understanding that 5 is the max number to be counted backwards per SEC rules. I don't see how in the world they think they can sign more than 30. :gofig:

FWIW, I've never heard that there is any limit on numbers that can be counted back. It's controlled by how many fewer than 25 were counted on the prior year.

If 247 is correct, then they can sign 7 EE's that count back plus 25 for 2014. That's a total of 32 and the end of the story. That's it, as per the new (Effective August 1, 2011) rules. Spurrier signed 32 a couple of years ago, with the same numbers that 247 says UTk has.

It's my understanding that 5 is the max number to be counted backwards per SEC rules. I don't see how in the world they think they can sign more than 30. :gofig:/>

FWIW, I've never heard that there is any limit on numbers that can be counted back. It's controlled by how many fewer than 25 were counted on the prior year.

If 247 is correct, then they can sign 7 EE's that count back plus 25 for 2014. That's a total of 32 and the end of the story. That's it, as per the new (Effective August 1, 2011) rules. Spurrier signed 32 a couple of years ago, with the same numbers that 247 says UTk has.

You're right. I interrupted the max 5 to count back from an old al.com article which has proven to be wrong.

Either way we're in agreement that somebody's gonna be left out in the cold / asked to greyshirt. Jones isn't smarter than the rest.

Here's a link to an AJC article about UTk's efforts to escape the rules. There's is nothing new, except that beat writer Evan Woodbury keeps trying to make black be white.

A "blue shirt' cannot be a recruited athlete. If even one school anywhere offered him a scholarship, he can't do the blue shirt thing. That's nothing new. See our little walkon basketball player of last year that was on an engineering scholarship. Same deal, had he had an offer of a basketball scholarship from anywhere, we couldn't have let him play. Blue shirting has nothing to do with the recruiting of sought-after athletes.

The rest of Woodbury/Jones' ideas are bogus. The article contains a letter from the SEC clarifying that. After some legwork by several people here, the most Tennessee can sign is 7 early enrolees that can count back to 2013 plus this year's 25 for a total of 32. "Gray shirts" are NOT signed. Any kid told he has to gray shirt is free to sign with any other school he chooses.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-recruiting/2013/dec/09/sec-issues-statement-about-over-signing-loopholes/

Butch Jones was asked what positions he views as the most important in this class, and he answered defensive and offensive linemen. They will not give up Lambert or Blair without a fight.

• 2 weeks later...

The Right Rev, Butch Jones just "processed" three kids from the team to make some room for the 275 commits they have. All three had little or no playing time this past season.

So how many early enrolees did the Vols sign? They have seven openings that can count back to 2013 but those are use 'em or lose 'em on early signees. They can't be used in February.

So how many early enrolees did the Vols sign? They have seven openings that can count back to 2013 but those are use 'em or lose 'em on early signees. They can't be used in February.

3 JUCOs and still pending the HS EEs.

Mikey, believe it or not (because I'm not sure I do), they say that they will have 14 EEs this cycle!! You're a lot better with the math than I am, so maybe you can figure it out. I do know they are using that early financial signing as a possible loophole.

Mikey, believe it or not (because I'm not sure I do), they say that they will have 14 EEs this cycle!! You're a lot better with the math than I am, so maybe you can figure it out. I do know they are using that early financial signing as a possible loophole.

Any school can sign as many EE guys as they have slots available and that's nothing new. For example, AU could sign 28 EE's this year. BUT...Only three of those 28 could count back and the other 25 would be from this year's normal 25 limit.

In Tennessee's case, if they sign 14 EE guys, 7 will count back on 2013 because they had 7 slots left over from last year. The other 7 will count against 2014.

Another example, AU signed four EE's Wednesday but only three can count back because we had only three slots left over from last year. The fourth one counts against 2014. Again, they haven't discovered anything new. We and many others have been doing this for several years. The only difference is the extremely low number of guys Tenn. signed in '13, which left them with a large number (7) of "countback" slots.

Any school can sign as many EE guys as they have slots available and that's nothing new. For example, AU could sign 28 EE's this year. BUT...Only three of those 28 could count back and the other 25 would be from this year's normal 25 limit.

In Tennessee's case, if they sign 14 EE guys, 7 will count back on 2013 because they had 7 slots left over from last year. The other 7 will count against 2014.

Another example, AU signed four EE's Wednesday but only three can count back because we had only three slots left over from last year. The fourth one counts against 2014. Again, they haven't discovered anything new. We and many others have been doing this for several years. The only difference is the extremely low number of guys Tenn. signed in '13, which left them with a large number (7) of "countback" slots.

IMO what really matters is that the 2014 EEs get to practice in the spring....for UTk the extra practice might be the tie-breaker with their recruits....they have a lot of ground to make up against the rest of the conference and the additional practice time is valuable.

I guess at the end of the day he is doing everything he can to build the program back up what is wrong with that, well as long as he is doing it inside the lines

While I dislike the Vols, I would like to see them be competitive again.

I would like them to be competitive again, too, because at one time, they gave the gumps fits, and we don't have to play them for awhile.

I thought we played them at home in 2014.

Nope. Unless we go to a 9 game SEC schedule the return of a home and home with SEC teams not named UGA is projected every 6 years as things stand now.

• 1 month later...

How can you sign 35. I thought is was clear the absolute max would be 30. Did they find a loophole?

There is no absolute max and there is also no loophole. They signed 35 but 3 of those were 'courtesy" signatures for guys that will walk on or greyshirt. Those three can't sign financial aid papers can't count against the '14 class.

They had 32 that counted. Here's how they got there:~~~~Last year they signed only 21 and three of those counted back, meaning they signed 18 2013 guys. 18 left them 7 under the annual limit of 25.

This year they signed those 7 early enrollees that counted back on 2013 plus their full allowance of 25 for this year. 7+25=32.

Right now Auburn has signed 23 with 3 of the early enrollees counting back on 2013 for a total of 20 2014 guys. So if we don't sign any more, then next year we can sign 5 early guys plus our 25 from next year for a total of 30. A couple of years ago South Carolina signed 32 and Georgia 31, both in similar circumstances.

Normally signing that many is NOT a good thing. It means you had a crappy year the year before.

• 2 months later...

How can you sign 35. I thought is was clear the absolute max would be 30. Did they find a loophole?

There is no absolute max and there is also no loophole. They signed 35 but 3 of those were 'courtesy" signatures for guys that will walk on or greyshirt. Those three can't sign financial aid papers can't count against the '14 class.

They had 32 that counted. Here's how they got there:~~~~Last year they signed only 21 and three of those counted back, meaning they signed 18 2013 guys. 18 left them 7 under the annual limit of 25.

This year they signed those 7 early enrollees that counted back on 2013 plus their full allowance of 25 for this year. 7+25=32.

Right now Auburn has signed 23 with 3 of the early enrollees counting back on 2013 for a total of 20 2014 guys. So if we don't sign any more, then next year we can sign 5 early guys plus our 25 from next year for a total of 30. A couple of years ago South Carolina signed 32 and Georgia 31, both in similar circumstances.

Normally signing that many is NOT a good thing. It means you had a crappy year the year before.

Nice explanation Mikey. Thanks

Archived