Not the Orange Bowl, Not the Sugar ?

AustinTiger

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill...04951271040.xml

But, according to BCS coordinator Kevin Weiberg, there are scenarios that could land the Tigers in another bowl. Because the Pac-10 champion is tied to the Rose Bowl and the Big 12 champion to the Fiesta Bowl, those bowls would have their choice of teams to replace them. SEC officials say they would likely fight any attempt to move Auburn out of the Sugar Bowl.

Is this just empty talk, or is this for real?

How would SEC officials "fight this" ? They got nekkid pictures of people on the other committees? (kidding)

It would be kind of cool to play Cal. If we lost, I'd be satisfied that we had a great year, but just weren't number #1. But if we won convincingly (where USC couldn't) I'd say that'd be a great way to work outselves into a split MNC.

Of course a plain-ol-Miami-in-the-Sugar bowl scenario is probably more likely, and better for recruiting.

If AUBURN gets screwed and does not go to the Orange Bowl, the Sugar Bowl should do everything possible to get Utah!

125803[/snapback]

I agree with you! I would love to see a stellar SEC defense like yours put a big hush hush on all this Urban Meyer greatest offense in the Country talk. I am sure if you guys played them and shut them out...then all these UF fans might be singing a different song.

Good Luck the rest of the way!

I'll have to find the article, but I read today that it might be possible for Cal to get bumped out of the Rose bowl for Utah. Let me search for the link and I'll post back.

Edit

Ok, I found it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=cn...cnnsi&type=lgns

Believe me, there will be a lot of nervous souls in Berkeley, Pasadena and on Madison Avenue watching that Texas-Texas A&M game Friday. It's safe to say the scenario you described -- specifically Boise State bumping Cal out of the Rose Bowl -- never even occurred to the powers that be until this week.

"Reached at his home Sunday," Chris Dufresne wrote in the Los Angeles Times, "Pac-10 Commissioner Tom Hansen pored over the BCS rule book to confirm the possibility of this peril, paused for a moment, and sighed, 'Oh boy.'"

I had to look it up myself just to be sure, but, yes, in the at-large selection process, the rule about "non-BCS" teams being guaranteed a berth if they finish in the top six gets applied before the rule regarding teams like Cal that don't win their conference but finish third or fourth. See for yourself (look on page 5).

Personally, I think most fans would be interested to see both Utah and Boise State in a BCS bowl game. The folks at the Pac-10 and Rose Bowl, however, would be angrier than Ron Artest at an ice factory. Many of them already rue the day they ever signed on to the BCS, opening up their sacred game to outsiders. To then be told they cannot host a 10-1, top-five Cal team for the first time since 1959 because of Boise State? I'd go so far as to suggest the Rose might try to pull out of the thing altogether.

I'll have to find the article, but I read today that it might be possible for Cal to get bumped out of the Rose bowl for Utah. Let me search for the link and I'll post back.

125808[/snapback]

I'm not sure if this is the same one you saw, but it alludes to the same thing:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...s-shakeup_x.htm

125808[/snapback]

I'm not sure if this is the same one you saw, but it alludes to the same thing:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...s-shakeup_x.htm

125809[/snapback]

Actually, your article is a better one. Thanks.

Well, I'll tell ya what! Playing Miami is for the birds. That gains us absolutely NOTHING...with EVERYTHING to lose. I'd rather play Boise or someone! :angry:

Well, I'll tell ya what! Playing Miami is for the birds. That gains us absolutely NOTHING...with EVERYTHING to lose. I'd rather play Boise or someone!  :angry:

125842[/snapback]

not true....even though Miami has a couple of losses, they still have some of the best talent in the nation, and I'm sure Tuberville wouldn't mind beatin his former team. I would much rather play USC or OU but as of now it doesn't look too promising.

If AUBURN gets screwed and does not go to the Orange Bowl, the Sugar Bowl should do everything possible to get Utah!

125803[/snapback]

Utah would be a no win situation. Win and everyone will say that utah was not that good anyway. Lose and we officially suck.

IMO, Utah might be the most dangerous team in the nation. I haven't followed their season too closely, but I did see what they did to TXAM at the beginning of the season. Of course, it might be a different game altogether now. I wouldn't mind seeing an AU/Utah matchup. If we don't make it to the OB, that would put the top four unbeatens against one another. I think our D could handle Utah. They are not a wide open passing team, they can run the ball also. Our O can stay with them, IMO. Would be a good matchup.

IMO, Utah might be the most dangerous team in the nation.  I haven't followed their season too closely, but I did see what they did to TXAM at the beginning of the season.  Of course, it might be a different game altogether now.  I wouldn't mind seeing an AU/Utah matchup.  If we don't make it to the OB, that would put the top four unbeatens against one another.  I think our D could handle Utah.  They are not a wide open passing team, they can run the ball also.  Our O can stay with them, IMO.  Would be a good matchup.

125944[/snapback]

Utah hasn't proven a single thing to me until they win a bowl game against a big opponent.

All they did this year worth noting was beat unc and t a&m convincingly. I think it's safe to say that these are far from top tier teams that probably underestimated them and got outplayed.

UTAH is getting a lot of love from the media, so it would be a high profile match up. They will be in a BCS bowl game. They are unbeaten. They are from the west, so we all know they play better football than we do here in the South. OU and USC would never play them, so we could do their dirty work for them.

But in the end, playing Miami might help with recruiting. There are just too many possiblities to think about. Guess I'll just wait until someone tells me where we're going and who we're playing.

Yeah they are getting so much hype that there are what 2 teams with a loss ranked ahead of them. They haven't REALLY proven they are are a top notch team. If we were to beat them the same people who are refusing to give us respect in the polls would be saying "UTAH WASN'T THAT GOOD ANYWAY". Can't you not see this?

If we can't play in the OB, then I'd like to see AU play another undefeated team (Utah) or the next highest-ranked, and that means Cal. If either of them doesn't want to come to the Sugar Bowl then AU should go hunting for them in either the Fiesta or Rose. We beat either Utah or Cal and we'll get some respect from the pollsters. Playing anybody else gets us nothing.

AU would not gain anything by playing Utah. If we did and won, folks would say that they knew Utah was not really that good. And if we lost, well, that would be a major setback.

Playing Miami would be good for us, assuming we would win. Miami has a mystique about it.

... Playing Miami would be good for us, assuming we would win.  Miami has a mystique about it.

125968[/snapback]

Nothing mystical about Miami this year. They're a very ordinary 8-2 now including a pull-one-out-their-mystical-azz victory over Louisville. They still have to play Va Tech which is not a sure win for them either.

Mike, AU is currently undefeated. If we win the SECCG, then we need to demand to play another undefeated team or the highest ranked team (preferrably no worse than a 1-loss team) we can. Otherwise, our BCS bowl will be no more significant than the other tier bowl games.

Bowl games and the BCS monopoly don't give a flip about the fans or determining a true champion. It's all about maintaining status quo and raking in as much money as possible.

Because Auburn travels well, the Sugar Bowl is going to match Auburn up with another program that will bring fans, like Miami or Virginia Tech. Utah or Cal are not going to bring a lot of fans from across the country and the Rose Bowl isn't going to chance the Auburn crowd not showing up in Pasadena (although I think the number of fans that traveled to the USC game in L.A. was impressive).

Unless Iowa State or Notre Dame manages to upset No. 1 or No. 2, then Auburn is going to the Sugar Bowl, probably to play Virginia Tech.

I think our best scenerio would be to play either Cal or Texas. If we beat them handily, we could have a shot at a split vote. For instance, if USC wins and we dominate Cal, it might help us move past Oklahoma. The same for OU and UT. I don't see them dropping past 2nd by losing in the Orange Bowl unless we dominate one of their teams. Otherwise Auburn and Utah could posibily be undefeated and finish 3rd and 4th.

So the SEC will fight this? Well where are those sorry b*****ds right now? They damn sure aren't fighting for us getting in the Orange Bowl, are they? See 'em putting heat on those SEC coaches that aren't voting for us? See 'em doing anything at all but filling out their deposit slips.....I say the hell with the Sugar Bowl, I hope they end up with UAB.

I hope the Rose Bowl get's us. We can all stay home and use the money we would have spent top go out there and buy 52" Sony WEGA HDTV Flat screen TV's instead.

If we don't go to the Orange Bowl, Auburn fans should boycott any other bowl...hit them where it count's, their greedy little hands. Either tell the b*****ds to hell with them or assume the postion. I'll guess most will pick the latter.

If we don't go to the Orange Bowl, Auburn fans should boycott any other bowl...hit them where it count's, their greedy little hands. Either tell the b*****ds to hell with them or assume the postion. I'll guess most will pick the latter.

We need to support Auburn no matter where these idiots put us. The players on this team deserve it! Auburn will just run up the score and give the NCAA the finger! :au:

This is all utter and complete talk

Put it this way

The Sugar Bowl is so excited about getting Auburn that they dont know what to do.....no way, no how, no whatever that they give up Auburn.

None, Nada, Nilch

I would rather play Cal because a lot of people think they are really good, especially since they hung with USC. If we could tear Cal up like everybody else, then that would help a lot, moreso than Utah or VTech/Miami

Archived