The Runback

tigerrules

It's the little things.....Ryan Smith was the original choice to be in the endzone to receive the field goal. After the timeout, Ryan was moved up and and Chris Davis was moved back off the line to the end zone. After the reception by Davis, Smith immediately drops into return position along with the entire Auburn team and a wall is created on the sideline. Davis heads toward the middle pulls Bama in, then bumps to the sideline. Smith delivers a key block and absolutely levels Arie Kouandjio to help spring Davis.

Luck? I don't think so. Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Great coaching.

I have watched in the past video replays of the run back and noticed the crescendo of the crowd as Chris reached almost midfield. This replay shows that this is where its finally apparent to all that he is going to score. Really neat video,,,

Gabe killed the kicker, bet he never chases the ball carrier again on a kick! Craziest play I've ever witnessed, well sense the UGA game! War Eagle, It sure feels great to be 11-1!

This IS what is special about our special teams. Assignments people. That's coaching and execution. Davis will forever have his name associated with this play, but I like to think of it as "Davis and the Wall." Give Davis his due, but the wall - that was epic.

This IS what is special about our special teams. Assignments people. That's coaching and execution. Davis will forever have his name associated with this play, but I like to think of it as "Davis and the Wall." Give Davis his due, but the wall - that was epic.

Absolutely, great plays occur when everyone on the field and off have done thier job and execution is perfect! I like that "Davis and the Wall"

How about Gabe Wright taking out the Bama kicker! SPLAT!

That was Angelo Blackson (98), not Gabe Wright (90). If Gabe was even in on that play, he was out of the frame during the runback.

That was Angelo Blackson (98), not Gabe Wright (90). If Gabe was even in on that play, he was out of the frame during the runback.

No. It was Gabe. Angelo took out some one earlier in the run, but Gabe killed the kicker. Angelo took out Ed Stinson.

No. It was Gabe. Angelo took out some one earlier in the run, but Gabe killed the kicker. Angelo took out Ed Stinson.

I'll take your word for it. I looked again, and Angelo is the guy I can see making a block, but that wasn't the kicker he took out. The CBS video shows the kicker getting leveled, but I can't see the number of our guy. Since everybody seems to agree it was Gabe, I'll shut up now.

Yeah, this is my favorite part of this play. For one, it shows this was not a fluke, but a planned, practiced and executed play. The last line of defense on any kick is the kicker, and he was one of the players we planned to block against and it was one of our defensive lineman who had moved down the field to be in proper position to lay a legal block on the kicker. Just shows that Gus is the man and the players believe in what he is doing.

It's the little things.....Ryan Smith was the original choice to be in the endzone to receive the field goal. After the timeout, Ryan was moved up and and Chris Davis was moved back off the line to the end zone. After the reception by Davis, Smith immediately drops into return position along with the entire Auburn team and a wall is created on the sideline. Davis heads toward the middle pulls Bama in, then bumps to the sideline. Smith delivers a key block and absolutely levels Arie Kouandjio to help spring Davis.

Luck? I don't think so. Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.

Great coaching.

Ditto great coaching

Listening in Mobile to "Talkin' Football" with Scott Hunter and Tracy Turner this afternoon, Hunter was quick to comment that "Ellis Johnson was the one who noticed that uat had slow lineman in on the play and we needed a returner back there..... I guess he wanted a former Alabama coach to get credit.... You just can't make this stuff up!

What does it matter....AU made the adjustment and we know the result.....so on the other side would anyone have tried to talk NS out of kicking the FG? Who knows. A coaching staff is supposed to be a team and I hope the coaches listen to each other. Good ideas are not the exclusive domain of the HC.

I know CBS advertises during the games that they have 22 camera angles online during the games. Anybody know of a way to go back and watch the different angles? A couple of things I have now noticed, is that near collision between Mandell and a coach in the white on the sideline after Chris burns by Mandell. Another interesting thing is watch Cass make one of the first blocks around the 10 and then running full speed 10-20 yards behind Chris and then pumping his fist when he knows he will score. He continues his run all the way and goes straight up into the stands.

Yeah, this is my favorite part of this play. For one, it shows this was not a fluke, but a planned, practiced and executed play. The last line of defense on any kick is the kicker, and he was one of the players we planned to block against and it was one of our defensive lineman who had moved down the field to be in proper position to lay a legal block on the kicker. Just shows that Gus is the man and the players believe in what he is doing.

Gus was asked, and said we had never practiced that play. I think they just went into punt/kick return mode and started looking for someone to block. There were only about 4 bama players who ever got close enough to be a threat, and only the holder (Mandel?) got a fingertip on him. Interestingly enough, he was cut off by his own guy and had to adjust his angle, which caused him to miss the tackle.

Archived