FSU weakness

Mickeywc24

Something interesting I just learned from the ESPN SEC Blog that I thought most here would be interested in. FSU gives up an average 3.1 yards per carry this year between the tackles, but gives up 5.1 per carry outside the tackles. This has to bode well for the zone read as we create most of our explosive plays by running outside the tackles. If their teams speed and talent can't hold much lesser competition to fewer than 5.1 the rushing numbers could be truly staggering after this game.

Very true. ...we already know going in they'll load 8 in the box and play man with their all world secondary. ...as long as we can make 5 or 6 big plays in the passing game they WILL NOT stop the run

I've thought for a few days now the first offensive play for AU would be Ricardo Louis around the end on a sweep. This stat helps validate that assumption.

I've thought for a few days now the first offensive play for AU would be Ricardo Louis around the end on a sweep. This stat helps validate that assumption.

maybe BUT you also don't want your 1st play to have negative yards in which it could potentially happen

FSU has a weakness?? Well, I'd never have thought that after hearing some folks talk. Some of the talking heads never let a little thing like facts get in to the subject.

I personally think they will play more zone to keep the secondary's eyes in the backfield

hard to play zone with 8 in the box

Let them man up. Sammie will burn them deep. Sammie has out run everyone this year but we just cant hit him 70% time when he is open. Maybe this is where Nick will improve with the extra time

I personally think they will play more zone to keep the secondary's eyes in the backfield

hard to play zone with 8 in the box

Watch how effective 8 men in the box is against our running game. Go to 0:13 and watch until 0:17. Ignore the two CBs and deeper safety.

Looks like they have 3 LBs and a safety in the box. The three in the defensive backfield cheat up field and stay outside because of the threat of the quarterback keep. Once they realize who has the ball, they are caught up in the pile/line and are out of the play. By 0:16 Mason has a clear path to the end zone.

Granted, that is Arkansas, not Florida State. But in the next video you see the same things with less devotion to the run. This is verse Bama with 6 in the box. Watch 29:46 to 29:56. The fake to Louis holds the outside backer, the fake to Mason pulls the middle backer out of the play and into the pile, and from there it's all speed up the middle.

Last example would be at 1:18:58 to 1:19:10. Bama again puts only 6 in the box. From the snap, the end and outside backer move up field and are held by the potential for Marshall to keep. This takes them out of the play.

http://youtu.be/_uT_3JbGX1w

WDE. I like our odds. I like our chances regardless of what formation the defense aligns in because our offense takes 2-3 guys out of the play simply because of anticipation.

I dont know if its a "weakness" but FSU's size at the linebacker and defensive back position poses a very favorable match-up for AU when they run the ball. I have heard a lot of talk about FSU's speed on defense. They are fast but they are fast because they give up some of size, especially at linebacker. Linebackers Telvin and Terrance Smith (#1 & 3 tacklers on defense) are both under 220. Christian Jones is about 235 but he plays end about as much as he plays linebacker. Prosch, by comparison, tips the scale at about 260. FSU's secondary, while extremely fast, isnt very big or imposing either. UGA and Bama both featured bigger corners and safeties. Joyner is listed at 5-8 190 and is the teams 2nd leading tackler. AU often lines up with any combination of 6-5 250 Uzomah, 6-4 260 Fulse, 6-1 200 Coates and 6-3 215 Ray in addition to Prosch. AU's offensive line consistently got to the second level against Bama and smothered CJ Mosley effectively neutralizing him within Bama's scheme. I expect pretty much the same against FSU. I also expect the AU's receivers to win the perimeter, especially if FSU plays press man.

I dont know if its a "weakness" but FSU's size at the linebacker and defensive back position poses a very favorable match-up for AU when they run the ball. I have heard a lot of talk about FSU's speed on defense. They are fast but they are fast because they give up some of size, especially at linebacker. Linebackers Telvin and Terrance Smith (#1 & 3 tacklers on defense) are both under 220. Christian Jones is about 235 but he plays end about as much as he plays linebacker. Prosch, by comparison, tips the scale at about 260. FSU's secondary, while extremely fast, isnt very big or imposing either. UGA and Bama both featured bigger corners and safeties. Joyner is listed at 5-8 190 and is the teams 2nd leading tackler. AU often lines up with any combination of 6-5 250 Uzomah, 6-4 260 Fulse, 6-1 200 Coates and 6-3 215 Ray in addition to Prosch. AU's offensive line consistently got to the second level against Bama and smothered CJ Mosley effectively neutralizing him within Bama's scheme. I expect pretty much the same against FSU. I also expect the AU's receivers to win the perimeter, especially if FSU plays press man.

I keep saying. ..FSU has absolutely no idea what they're in store for. The mainstream media is hyping them up for reasons unknown IMO. All that speed won't do them any good when they're on their backside. War Eagle

Something interesting I just learned from the ESPN SEC Blog that I thought most here would be interested in. FSU gives up an average 3.1 yards per carry this year between the tackles, but gives up 5.1 per carry outside the tackles. This has to bode well for the zone read as we create most of our explosive plays by running outside the tackles. If their teams speed and talent can't hold much lesser competition to fewer than 5.1 the rushing numbers could be truly staggering after this game.

nobody knows how many weaknesses FSU has since they've only played 2 non-joke teams this season.

I like this.

It's easy to see why this is. Jernigan is their all-world DT and Smith is their all-world ILB. It's tough to run up the middle on those high-draft picks. Smith at ILB is listed right behind bammer's Moseley in most draft projections and Jernigan could be a first rounder (likely 2nd round).

However, they have no one at the DE spots who are even on draft boards (this year). They do have Mario Edwards Jr. at DE who was the #1 recruit in America in 2012. He is a sophomore this year (which might explain why he isn't listed in the draft). Perhaps he is underperforming or youth is a factor. He will be really good, but for whatever reason they are weaker on the outside than they are up the middle.

If FSU wants to stop AU on the outside, they will need great OLB and corner play. Expect AU to run to the side where Joyner is not (their star CB). Or better yet, just run to the side where Greg Robinson is. ^-^

Round picks don't mean anything. We only have 3 guys on the nfl radar right now but we're playing for the title

Round picks don't mean anything. We only have 3 guys on the nfl radar right now but we're playing for the title

I dunno about that. Talent is about 80% of the battle in football. The FSU scout writer says they have 22 first rounders on their roster (either this year or in future drafts).

It will be the most talented team AU has faced this year and probably ever.

If Saban and Kirby can't out scheme this offense together with two weeks to prepare there is no way Jeremy Pruitt can do it in a month. And yes they had two weeks, there is no way the Bama staff wasn't scheming for us the week leading up to the UTC game. The media is giving the FSU staff way too much credit. Also I think the Missouri defense is close to as fast or as fast as the FSU defense, and the offenses are very similar with Franklin and the big receivers. Auburn should be well prepared for this game, much more so than FSU.

I dunno about that. Talent is about 80% of the battle in football. The FSU scout writer says they have 22 first rounders on their roster (either this year or in future drafts).

Alabama is by far the most talented team Auburn has faced or will face. There are not 22 first rounders on the FSU team right now, maybe 7 to 10. Saying they have 22 first rounders is the equivalent of saying Auburn is facing the talent level of a potential NFL playoff team.

Alabama is by far the most talented team Auburn has faced or will face. There are not 22 first rounders on the FSU team right now, maybe 7 to 10. Saying they have 22 first rounders is the equivalent of saying Auburn is facing the talent level of a potential NFL playoff team.

We are. This is the most talented team since 2001 Miami (who had 34 guys drafted) and will be the most NFL talented team AU has faced in its history.

I was surprised to hear Herb on Gameday today say he was interested in seeing the match up between FSU's offense and AU's defense. He said he thought AU would be the best defense that FSU has faced all year. I agree. WDE

I was surprised to hear Herb on Gameday today say he was interested in seeing the match up between FSU's offense and AU's defense. He said he thought AU would be the best defense that FSU has faced all year. I agree. WDE

I agree our defensive line will give the FSU offensive line problems all night. They are 76th in the nation in pass sacks allowed giving up a total of 29 over the course of the season against mediocre to poor defenses, and we are 19th allowing 16 against some of the best defenses in the country. Games are won in the trenches and it is here we have what I think are huge advantages on both sides of the ball. As I stated earlier FSU is giving up 5.1 yards per carry outside of the tackles and 3.1 inside. Mason, Marshall, Grant, and company should be in for a huge night. This should look like the SEC title game just with fewer points due to the layoff.

Archived