Player Workouts

RunInRed

IMHO the number of big guys you've never heard of that could throw the ball a mile is endless. QB height, size, how far he can throw a football, etc are way down the list of "what to hope for in a successful starting QB". Those traits can be important, sure, but let's say like #15 and #24 on the list. How does he grasp the offensive scheme & it's nuances? Leadership, not getting rattled, accuracy, staying away from chronic injuries, etc etc.

I understand and agree Cam by position & Bo in general were the athletes of their generations, but winners come in many forms.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO the number of big guys you've never heard of that could throw the ball a mile is endless. QB height, size, how far he can throw a football, etc are way down the list of "what to hope for in a successful starting QB". Those traits can be important, sure, but let's say like #15 and #24 on the list. How does he grasp the offensive scheme & it's nuances? Leadership, not getting rattled, accuracy, staying away from chronic injuries, etc etc.

I understand and agree Cam by position & Bo in general were the athletes of their generations, but winners come in many forms.

I don't think they're "way down the list" but I agree that they don't have to be THE most important attributes a QB can have. Leadership, brains, and mental toughness go a long way.

Undeniably, intangibles are critically important to being able to play the QB position at a high level. Lets be honest, if we're going to start comparing kids to Cam Newton, he needs to be about 6'6" weight 250 lbs, run like a freakin deer and throw the football with accuracy and touch AND possess ALL the most desirable intangibles that the very tip of the top best competitors all possess. Pretty tall order if you ask me and I'll believe Auburn has another one like that when I see it.

He's much more athletic than Jason Campbell was

"Much more athletic" is a very extreme statement. Jason Campbell ran a 4.7 at 230 pounds at Auburn's Pro day. He also jumped 38 inches (which is elite for a QB) and did 9'8" in the broad jump (which would put him among the Top 5 for QBs in most draft years). People underrate his athleticism because of the offense he played in.

I think that Jeremy Johnson is probably a more natural runner due to the exposure of spread-offenses today, but the pure athleticism is closer than you think.

He's much more agile but we will not be able to compare until Johnson is ready to graduate. Johnson is much more athletic coming out of high school than Campbell was. I used to play basketball with Campbell all the time and I saw Johnson play alot. He guarded my cousin last year in the state semi finals and my cousin is a major d1 prospect. Campbell couldn't stay in front of me and my cousin is much faster than I was. I know what I'm talking about we'll see

Johnson can move better than what you guys are thinking. You'll see though. He's much more athletic than Jason Campbell was. As far as physically cam is a GREAT comparison to Johnson as far as height and probably weight. Johnson hasn't been through a summer weight program yet. We'll see soon.

Well, everyone has an opinion and mine is, its not fair to JJ to make these comparisons. Frankly, Im not sure he will ever favorably compare. On second thought,when JJ accounts for 55 TDs in one season, over a 1000 yards rushing and 3000 yards passing we can talk again

LOL. Nice smart response but we're talking two completely different things. I'm saying as far as physical make up Johnson is very comparable at 19 years old as cam was as far as height stature weight. Nobody but youwas ttalking about how good he was or how much he was going to produce. Ex. They say Coates has around a 41-43" vertical. That's close to a Randy moss Calvin Johnson vertical. Saying that I'm not comparing him saying he will be as good as those wr's though. Nice try though

Johnson can move better than what you guys are thinking. You'll see though. He's much more athletic than Jason Campbell was. As far as physically cam is a GREAT comparison to Johnson as far as height and probably weight. Johnson hasn't been through a summer weight program yet. We'll see soon.

Well, everyone has an opinion and mine is, its not fair to JJ to make these comparisons. Frankly, Im not sure he will ever favorably compare. On second thought,when JJ accounts for 55 TDs in one season, over a 1000 yards rushing and 3000 yards passing we can talk again

LOL. Nice smart response but we're talking two completely different things. I'm saying as far as physical make up Johnson is very comparable at 19 years old as cam was as far as height stature weight. Nobody but youwas ttalking about how good he was or how much he was going to produce. Ex. They say Coates has around a 41-43" vertical. That's close to a Randy moss Calvin Johnson vertical. Saying that I'm not comparing him saying he will be as good as those wr's though. Nice try though

Comparisons are made for a number of reasons but mostly for the sake of setting expectations. I saw Cam play QB as a true freshman at Florida and JJ is no Cam Newton..then or now. As far as JJ being more athletic than JC, nor completely sold on that either. JJ moves very comparably on the football field, basketball aside but I will say that if JJs superior athleticism translates to an undefeated season @ Auburn and 1st round draft pick for himself it will matter. If not, it really makes no difference at all, now, does it?

Once again you're still talking about production on field and I guess you should start a thread saying will Johnson be as good as cam and argue all you want since that is what you want to do but this convo stated started from the pic of cam and Johnson standing by each other and they are already comparable in height so if Johnson ever gets up to around 240 then they would be comparable in weight as well and that's pretty much it. All the other stuff you're saying is moot. Nothing quite like debating yourself is it?

Once again you're still talking about production on field and I guess you should start a thread saying will Johnson be as good as cam and argue all you want since that is what you want to do but this convo stated started from the pic of cam and Johnson standing by each other and they are already comparable in height so if Johnson ever gets up to around 240 then they would be comparable in weight as well and that's pretty much it. All the other stuff you're saying is moot. Nothing quite like debating yourself is it?

If you say so but tell me this.....how exactly is JJs comparable height to CN even worth pointing out? I guess it is because you seem to think so but I dont get it. I will give JJ one thing. He IS a much more polished passer at this stage than CN was and that could end up being a very big deal, we'll see.

If you say so but tell me this.....how exactly is JJs comparable height to CN even worth pointing out? I guess it is because you seem to think so but I dont get it. I will give JJ one thing. He IS a much more polished passer at this stage than CN was and that could end up being a very big deal, we'll see.

You'll have to ask whoever started the convo. It wasn't me. But my opinion when dudes asked about comparing the size of Johnson and Cam he is correct. Cam weighed around ten mor pounds than Johnson and was an inch shorter (if you want to hold college profiles to being exact but I think we all know that that isn't always true) Thinking Johnson could end up Cam's size isn't far fetched at all. Usually fan bases love when they have a physically imposing guy on the team and that size at the qb position could be physically imposing and maybe that's why guys are excited. I'm thinking if Johnson end up a 6'6'' 240 we can pretty much look forward to at least one person getting ran over and just falling down forward should gain a yard. Also usually a taller guy with a little weight on him can throw the ball pretty hard, maybe that's something to hope for and be excited about as well?

You'll have to ask whoever started the convo. It wasn't me. But my opinion when dudes asked about comparing the size of Johnson and Cam he is correct. Cam weighed around ten mor pounds than Johnson and was an inch shorter (if you want to hold college profiles to being exact but I think we all know that that isn't always true) Thinking Johnson could end up Cam's size isn't far fetched at all. Usually fan bases love when they have a physically imposing guy on the team and that size at the qb position could be physically imposing and maybe that's why guys are excited. I'm thinking if Johnson end up a 6'6'' 240 we can pretty much look forward to at least one person getting ran over and just falling down forward should gain a yard. Also usually a taller guy with a little weight on him can throw the ball pretty hard, maybe that's something to hope for and be excited about as well?

I guess so but Johnny Manziel can throw the hell out of a football and run it pretty dadgum good too and he's not even as big as Nick Marshall. Having a big QB does have its benefits, in some cases, but Zach Mettenberger, among many others, is a big guy but I dont think he was a great QB. There are plenty of QBs who have imposing size as you call it who really aren't all that good. Certainly, ZM was a good one but he in no way compares to Cam Newton but thats just my opinion. Usually when i see people comparing QBs to CN's size it occurs to me there are probably 200 to 300 other guys on campus a comparable size but their size didn't do much to help them become the next Cam Newton. Thats all Im saying. Well, thats probably a slight exaggeration but the point is a valid one.

Let's get back on topic here guys. Start a new thread if you want to compare cam and Jeremy. I come to this thread for workout updates

Let's get back on topic here guys. Start a new thread if you want to compare cam and Jeremy. I come to this thread for workout updates

I pulled a muscle in my neck doing shoulder shrugs yesterday but otherwise got a great pump.

Two things, Cam looks broader than Johnson. You can't see clearly since Johnson is angled, but Cam's shoulders are incredibly broad. Second, Johnson can't run like him. He may be great, but he won't be Cam, Jr. He looks a lot more like Jason Campbell 2.0 (since later models are upgrades) from an athleticism/size standpoint. I'll take that over and over and over again.

This.

Just because JJ is a tall black QB doesn't mean he's going to be anything like Cam. Was Cam JaMarcus Russell 2.0 or Andre Woodson 2.0? No. JJ looks to be a solid football player but,my god, can we please stop comparing him to Cam Newton?

Who besides you said anything about JJ or Cams skin color? You probably didn't mean it but man that comment came across as ignorant.

Two things, Cam looks broader than Johnson. You can't see clearly since Johnson is angled, but Cam's shoulders are incredibly broad. Second, Johnson can't run like him. He may be great, but he won't be Cam, Jr. He looks a lot more like Jason Campbell 2.0 (since later models are upgrades) from an athleticism/size standpoint. I'll take that over and over and over again.

This.

Just because JJ is a tall black QB doesn't mean he's going to be anything like Cam. Was Cam JaMarcus Russell 2.0 or Andre Woodson 2.0? No. JJ looks to be a solid football player but,my god, can we please stop comparing him to Cam Newton?

Who besides you said anything about JJ or Cams skin color? You probably didn't mean it but man that comment came across as ignorant.

It's ignorant to ignore their skin color when everyone's making the comparison. You really think everyone is comparing the two guys just because of their height? Whether y'all realize it or not, that's why these comparisons are being made. It's easy to backtrack now and say "No I just think they uhh have the same uhh skill sets".

7213fd269a4a11e3a645123a6e4bafd7_7.jpg

Who are these guys. I think on the ends it's Denson and b Owens but I'm not sure

Definitely Owens on the end but who's the guy next to him? Looks a lot like JP.

7213fd269a4a11e3a645123a6e4bafd7_7.jpg

Who are these guys. I think on the ends it's Denson and b Owens but I'm not sure

Definitely Owens on the end but who's the guy next to him? Looks a lot like JP.

Looks like Denson, Garret, JP, Owens....just guessing though

If that is Garrett, he looks photoshopped. If not, he should have a body building career on the side.

Funny you say that. Bodybuilding is all about symmetry and that's exactly what looks off to me in the photo.

Archived