Michael Sams coming out party

JMassie11

God said whomever takes from or have added to the words that HE spake into the BIBLE will be DEALT with!! Ur not dealing with a rookie!!!

I don't wish to argue about your faith or beliefs. I acknowledge and respect your right to them. I also consider myself a Christian, but we certainly disagree on interpretations of many things.

But in terms of reason, not faith, I do feel a need to point out the basic failure of circular logic that says "This book is infallible because it says so in the book, which is infallible."

Read The book of Revelation, that should explain where I'm coming from.

No doubt about that! :laugh:/> :laugh:/> :roflol:/>

U may laugh now, but u will be crying in the end! What are u gonna do when he comes for u? We all got a date with death, some will live, others, (non-believers) will most surely die!! Good Luck, but it won't matter if u don't believe!

Dude, I can appreciate your passion, but your delivery needs much work.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God said whomever takes from or have added to the words that HE spake into the BIBLE will be DEALT with!! Ur not dealing with a rookie!!!

I don't wish to argue about your faith or beliefs. I acknowledge and respect your right to them. I also consider myself a Christian, but we certainly disagree on interpretations of many things.

But in terms of reason, not faith, I do feel a need to point out the basic failure of circular logic that says "This book is infallible because it says so in the book, which is infallible."

I have read The Revelation To John. Remember I am a Christian myself (by my understanding). I also grew up as a preacher's son in a home where the Bible was regularly read, and was dragged to almost every service, revival, or Bible School the church held as a child whether I wanted to or not. So I'm quite familiar with the Bible.

I have no problem with you believing and/or interpreting as you see fit. But saying "This book is true because it says it's true" is circular logic by anyone's definition. Such a belief may be powerful and compelling in questions of faith, but such a belief is meaningless in a debate of logic.

Of course the definition of "faith" is belief in things unproven or outside the logical, so this is not an attack on anyone's faith. Faith is of no value in logic, but by the same token, those who would use logic to discuss or debunk faith are also guilty of bringing a worthless tool to the subject.

(Which is of course, why threads of this nature often gone on for so long: It's like two people on the same court, but one's playing basketball while the other is playing tennis...entertaining for a while, perhaps, but ultimately pointless. :gofig:/> :rolleyes:/> )

Your opinion!

Yep...

And not necessarily better or worse than anyone else's, just what works for me. What works for others is between them and their God...

No doubt about that! :laugh:/> :laugh:/> :roflol:/>

U may laugh now, but u will be crying in the end! What are u gonna do when he comes for u? We all got a date with death, some will live, others, (non-believers) will most surely die!! Good Luck, but it won't matter if u don't believe!

Dude, I can appreciate your passion, but your delivery needs much work.

It don't get more simpler than that, it is what it is!

war eagle6, you're embarrassing yourself. Even if you're 100% correct theologically, your manner of conveying truth undermines your message. Reading back over your snippy, flippant tone, it's hard to jibe that with this:

1 Peter 3:15-16

15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, 16 having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

The Bible tells us that we will be hated and suffer persecution just because of the nature of the truth we proclaim. But it doesn't implore us to up the ante by acting snotty and arrogant when we deliver it.

I believe that those who hate, or seek to persecute, or condemn sinners do not understand Christ's message or, perfect love.

I'll say that I agree with the caveat that calling one to repentance does not fall under hating, persecuting or condemning sinners.

I believe that those who hate, or seek to persecute, or condemn sinners do not understand Christ's message or, perfect love.

I'll say that I agree with the caveat that calling one to repentance does not fall under hating, persecuting or condemning sinners.

I find that to be a difficult distinction when so much attention is being placed on one specific sin. It appears to me that, compassion has been replaced by condemnation.

Perhaps it can sometimes be difficult to distinguish, especially when the tone is like it has been in this thread, but distinguish it we must. It's obvious that Jesus affirmed the distinction when he backed up John the Baptist's call to repent and made his own calls to repentance yet also said the Son didn't come to condemn the world but to save it. It's obvious when he told the woman caught in adultery not only that He didn't condemn her but to "go and sin no more." That's what repentance is...it is a turning away from sin and moving in a new direction.

But also, attention is placed on this one sin not only because it's sometimes treated as worse by Christians, but special by everyone else. Christians for instance also would condemn adulterous behavior or extramarital sex. That's a pretty consistent teaching among evangelical Christians. And if a pastor or other leader were to be caught having an affair or sleeping with his girlfriend, he would be called on to repent and would likely have to step down from leadership for a while at least. But the difference is, there isn't a big movement in the culture at large or in Christianity itself to get people to accept "open marriages" or to allow pastors or elders of the church to have extramarital sex with their girlfriends. There is however a push from the culture and somewhat within the church to get people to accept same sex partnerships or marriages and to allow pastors or bishops in such relationships to remain in those jobs without repentance. Thus you're going to get more pushback on this issue than other similar sins.

Perhaps it can sometimes be difficult to distinguish, especially when the tone is like it has been in this thread, but distinguish it we must. It's obvious that Jesus affirmed the distinction when he backed up John the Baptist's call to repent and made his own calls to repentance yet also said the Son didn't come to condemn the world but to save it. It's obvious when he told the woman caught in adultery not only that He didn't condemn her but to "go and sin no more." That's what repentance is...it is a turning away from sin and moving in a new direction.

But also, attention is placed on this one sin not only because it's sometimes treated as worse by Christians, but special by everyone else. Christians for instance also would condemn adulterous behavior or extramarital sex. That's a pretty consistent teaching among evangelical Christians. And if a pastor or other leader were to be caught having an affair or sleeping with his girlfriend, he would be called on to repent and would likely have to step down from leadership for a while at least. But the difference is, there isn't a big movement in the culture at large or in Christianity itself to get people to accept "open marriages" or to allow pastors or elders of the church to have extramarital sex with their girlfriends. There is however a push from the culture and somewhat within the church to get people to accept same sex partnerships or marriages and to allow pastors or bishops in such relationships to remain in those jobs without repentance. Thus you're going to get more pushback on this issue than other similar sins.

I do not understand your point. Are we suppose to be an "army against sin"? Are we suppose to eliminate sin through condemnation or force of law? Are we here to police our brothers and sisters or to love, accept, comfort, and support them?

Sometimes I wonder what motivates those who are leading the charge against homosexuality. What is in their hearts? Realizing of course that, that in itself, is a slippery slope of judgmental hypocrisy.

I understand and agree, that we have to exercise some judgment when it comes to how we allow people around us to affect our lives. However, when we reach beyond those who directly affect us, to me, it smacks of something other than love and understanding. To me, it seems to defy the lessons of Jesus Christ.

I do not understand your point. Are we suppose to be an "army against sin"? Are we suppose to eliminate sin through condemnation or force of law? Are we here to police our brothers and sisters or to love, accept, comfort, and support them?

And I don't understand your lack of understanding. I didn't intimate anything close to being an "army against sin." But we are called to preach the gospel to people and included in that is a call to repentance. You cannot claim to love your brother if you refuse to speak the truth to them.

Sometimes I wonder what motivates those who are leading the charge against homosexuality. What is in their hearts? Realizing of course that, that in itself, is a slippery slope of judgmental hypocrisy.

Well the other problem is that it isn't a monolith you're talking about. Certainly some do it simply because they think gays are icky and different. But I don't believe that's the majority of people in Christian circles at least, as vocal as that segment may be. But many do so because they sincerely believe that they cannot refuse to speak out if truth is being distorted. And still others have the primary motivation of love for others because to quietly sit by while your fellow humans pursue sinful things that you believe are not God's best for them, will hurt them in this life, and puts their soul in danger is not love by any stretch. It would be akin to someone who drives along and crests a hill only to realize the bridge is out and narrowly misses plunging over the cliff. A person that cares about and loves others would set up makeshift barricades or run back over the hill and stand in the road, waving at oncoming cars to turn around so they don't plunge to their death. Someone who doesn't care about others would just get back in their car and drive back to town and not say a word. If you see someone living their life in a way that you sincerely believe leads to hurt and pain and eternal destruction...what kind of monster would you be if you said nothing?

There are probably as many primary motivations as there are people. And every person probably has multiple things that make up their overall motives on the matter.

war eagle6, you're embarrassing yourself. Even if you're 100% correct theologically, your manner of conveying truth undermines your message. Reading back over your snippy, flippant tone, it's hard to jibe that with this:

15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, 16 having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.

The Bible tells us that we will be hated and suffer persecution just because of the nature of the truth we proclaim. But it doesn't implore us to up the ante by acting snotty and arrogant when we deliver it.

Whatever dude, I'm not acting snotty or arrogant, just telling the truth, besides that he who is without sin let him cast the first stone. While your Judgeing me just know u will be judged also. I'm going to sum this whole conversation up in one line only and I am done with this topic,NO ONE is gonna change my view when it comes to JESUS and his teachings but JESUS himself! What anyone of u have to say about it is a moot point to me, because what is written is etched in my heart. Mans law don't mean Sugar Honey Iced Tea to me! Also understand this; I don't hate homosexuals, that discussion will be between them and GOD, I hate it when people try and force me to accept it!

Whatever dude, I'm not acting snotty or arrogant, just telling the truth, besides that he who is without sin let him cast the first stone. While your Judgeing me just know u will be judged also. I'm going to sum this whole conversation up in one line only and I am done with this topic,NO ONE is gonna change my view when it comes to JESUS and his teachings but JESUS himself! What anyone of u have to say about it is a moot point to me, because what is written is etched in my heart. Mans law don't mean Sugar Honey Iced Tea to me! Also understand this; I don't hate homosexuals, that discussion will be between them and GOD, I hate it when people try and force me to accept it!

When even people who agree with you on whether homosexual acts are considered sin in Scripture are telling you that your delivery has serious problems, you're doing more than "just telling the truth." Speaking the truth does not absolve you of caring how you speak it and how it is perceived by others. I'm not asking you to accept anything, I'm just asking you to reconsider how your manner of "truth telling" comes off to others in light of the 1 Peter passage.

And I don't understand your lack of understanding. I didn't intimate anything close to being an "army against sin." But we are called to preach the gospel to people and included in that is a call to repentance. You cannot claim to love your brother if you refuse to speak the truth to them.

Well the other problem is that it isn't a monolith you're talking about. Certainly some do it simply because they think gays are icky and different. But I don't believe that's the majority of people in Christian circles at least, as vocal as that segment may be. But many do so because they sincerely believe that they cannot refuse to speak out if truth is being distorted. And still others have the primary motivation of love for others because to quietly sit by while your fellow humans pursue sinful things that you believe are not God's best for them, will hurt them in this life, and puts their soul in danger is not love by any stretch. It would be akin to someone who drives along and crests a hill only to realize the bridge is out and narrowly misses plunging over the cliff. A person that cares about and loves others would set up makeshift barricades or run back over the hill and stand in the road, waving at oncoming cars to turn around so they don't plunge to their death. Someone who doesn't care about others would just get back in their car and drive back to town and not say a word. If you see someone living their life in a way that you sincerely believe leads to hurt and pain and eternal destruction...what kind of monster would you be if you said nothing?

There are probably as many primary motivations as there are people. And every person probably has multiple things that make up their overall motives on the matter.

I apologize. I still do not understand. We are all sinners. We all want and need compassion, acceptance, understanding, mercy, and grace. To single out one particular sin, or group of sinners, seems fundamentally hypocritical and counter-intuitive to my understanding of Christ's perfect love.

When even people who agree with you on whether homosexual acts are considered sin in Scripture are telling you that your delivery has serious problems, you're doing more than "just telling the truth." Speaking the truth does not absolve you of caring how you speak it and how it is perceived by others. I'm not asking you to accept anything, I'm just asking you to reconsider how your manner of "truth telling" comes off to others in light of the 1 Peter passage.

Your opinion

Your opinion

Not just my opinion, but regardless, change your tone.

How can anyone force you to accept homosexuality? Do you love homosexuals? Does Christ? Are you afraid of homosexuality? Do you believe that homosexuality will come to dominate society if it is not persecuted? Is homosexuality some sort of special sin, more destructive than other sins? Should we spend our time and resources fighting homosexuals socially and politically?

How can anyone force you to accept homosexuality? Do you love homosexuals? Does Christ? Are you afraid of homosexuality? Do you believe that homosexuality will come to dominate society if it is not persecuted? Is homosexuality some sort of special sin, more destructive than other sins? Should we spend our time and resources fighting homosexuals socially and politically?

Did u miss the Michael Sam love fest on TV? That's what I'm speaking of, it's not your business how I feel about it, good or bad. I just wrote down my opinion. When you're raising kids, especially boys who love football and they see that fiasco with Sam and his partner, then turn to me asking why is that man kissing another man? Even kids know it's unnatural. And to answer all of your question.........NO, I fear nothing and NO man walking GODS green earth!

Your opinion

U may be a mod but your not GOD, so, don't tell me to change my tone when I don't have one

Did u miss the Michael Sam love fest on TV? That's what I'm speaking of, it's not your business how I feel about it, good or bad. I just wrote down my opinion. When you're raising kids, especially boys who love football and they see that fiasco with Sam and his partner, then turn to me asking why is that man kissing another man? Even kids know it's unnatural. And to answer all of your question.........NO, I fear nothing and NO man walking GODS green earth!

I really do hate to say this but, you sound as if you speak for the ignorant and intolerant.

Your opinion

U may be a mod but your not GOD, so, don't tell me to change my tone when I don't have one

You may not realize it but, you definitely have a "tone". Personally, I do not have a big problem with it and, would even defend your right to your views. However, I am not thrilled that those views are posted on an Auburn related website and, that you invoke the name of Jesus Christ into your views as though He would share your feelings. Again, I would defend your right to your views but, I consider them hateful and ignorant. Remember, when Christ was on earth, he surrounded Himself with sinners, not the self-righteous. His message was love and salvation, not hate and condemnation. We are ALL sinners. We cannot earn God's mercy, grace, and love.

I don't understand what you are getting at here? What is "it"?

Your opinion

I never claimed to be God, but I do moderate this forum. You will change your tone at least when you are here, or you will no longer be here.

I don't understand what you are getting at here? What is "it"?

That post of mine came in response to this exchange:

I find that to be a difficult distinction when so much attention is being placed on one specific sin. It appears to me that, compassion has been replaced by condemnation.

........But also, attention is placed on this one sin not only because it's sometimes treated as worse by Christians, but special by everyone else. Christians for instance also would condemn adulterous behavior or extramarital sex. That's a pretty consistent teaching among evangelical Christians. And if a pastor or other leader were to be caught having an affair or sleeping with his girlfriend, he would be called on to repent and would likely have to step down from leadership for a while at least. But the difference is, there isn't a big movement in the culture at large or in Christianity itself to get people to accept "open marriages" or to allow pastors or elders of the church to have extramarital sex with their girlfriends. There is however a push from the culture and somewhat within the church to get people to accept same sex partnerships or marriages and to allow pastors or bishops in such relationships to remain in those jobs without repentance. Thus you're going to get more pushback on this issue than other similar sins.

That's perfectly understandable considering homosexuality is largely derived from a natural mandate (sexuality) similar to the racial mandate (skin color) that determines race. The resentment against an organized "movement" to promote equality sounds similar to the resentment against organized "movements" in the civil rights era.

More to the point, the fight is not over "acceptance" per se'. I can't really speak for them but I think the fight is much more against legal discrimination than it is social acceptance. While I am sure there are many homosexuals who would like to achieve social acceptance and even religious acceptance (some homosexuals are religious) I think it's more about discrimination.

I apologize. I still do not understand. We are all sinners. We all want and need compassion, acceptance, understanding, mercy, and grace. To single out one particular sin, or group of sinners, seems fundamentally hypocritical and counter-intuitive to my understanding of Christ's perfect love.

Of course we all want and need those things. It still does not mean that Christians should never speak out on something being a sin. As I said, I think a small percentage of this perceived 'singling out' comes from a place of hatred or prejudice. But most of it simply comes from the fact that unlike other sins, society is not pushing for full acceptance of it even in the church. If for some reason the big social cause of the moment was polygamist rights and the rights of polygamists or polyamorists to have their marriages recognized, people were losing jobs for expressing the opinion that polygamy/polyamory is wrong or shouldn't be recognized as 'marriage', or if there was a big push among some major Christian denominations to ordain bishops and pastors who are participating in polygamous or polyamorous relationships, then you'd likely see more "singling out" of that.

The thing that you seem to be saying to me (and I could be wrong) is that love, acceptance and grace somehow preclude ever discussing what sin is, defining any actions as sin or calling anyone to repent of sin.

Archived