2015 4* OG Marquel Harrell commits to AU!

EagleDamnWar

Congrats to Marquel!! Thank to the huge jump on Rivals from a very low 3* to in the Rivals 250 he is now a composite 4*. Thread title has been updated.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to Marquel!! Thank to the huge jump on Rivals from a very low 3* to in the Rivals 250 he is now a composite 4*. Thread title has been updated.

Our O-Line recruiters continue to show that they know how to grade talent. They were the first to find Shon Coleman a few years ago when he was not rated highly same with Marquel. When you get on a kid early and others don't show a lot of interest and the kid blossoms the kid remembers you were the one touting him.

We haven't been able to find these type players on D since the Tuberville era. Where we would get 3* players and coach them up into top players. Over the years Auburn was one of the best at finding players who had the potential and the desire to get better and turn them into top notch SEC players. Kevin Green is a great example of this in the past why can't we seem to do this anymore. I am not saying you don't try and recruit the 5* type players but there still needs to be a diamond in the rough type player every year on D even if it takes a couple of years for the player to develop. Is the problem in rating talent or is it in coaching up players to quote the Army to be the best they can be.

Our O-Line recruiters continue to show that they know how to grade talent. They were the first to find Shon Coleman a few years ago when he was not rated highly same with Marquel. When you get on a kid early and others don't show a lot of interest and the kid blossoms the kid remembers you were the one touting him.

We haven't been able to find these type players on D since the Tuberville era. Where we would get 3* players and coach them up into top players. Over the years Auburn was one of the best at finding players who had the potential and the desire to get better and turn them into top notch SEC players. Kevin Green is a great example of this in the past why can't we seem to do this anymore. I am not saying you don't try and recruit the 5* type players but there still needs to be a diamond in the rough type player every year on D even if it takes a couple of years for the player to develop. Is the problem in rating talent or is it in coaching up players to quote the Army to be the best they can be.

Great question for a different thread.

I personally had my fill with the diamond in the rough business with Tubby. Some obviously do work out but the Kevin Greene's of the world are few and far in between. I'll take the obvious talent guys all day long. Now that's not to say you don't coach them up when they get here, that should be done regardless.

I personally had my fill with the diamond in the rough business with Tubby. Some obviously do work out but the Kevin Greene's of the world are few and far in between. I'll take the obvious talent guys all day long. Now that's not to say you don't coach them up when they get here, that should be done regardless.

Tubby's diamond in the rough guys produced some great defenses. These highly rated DL we've signed in the last 4 years…not so much. I personally don't care, as long as qualified coaches are doing thorough evaluations…not just basing their list on recruiting service ratings.

One if you read all of what I said you would have read that you still try and recruit the 5* guys but solid evaluation of talent and finding players and coaching them up when you don't get the 5* or 4* Player pays dividends coaching them up when you do get top talent is equally important. While you are correct that a Kevin Green is not an everyday occurrence look at Auburns history of finding lower rated players who make in impact. It just doesn't seem to be happening on D side of the ball as much as in the past.

You might have gotten tired of Tubby but he always had strong defenses. In last few years just based on stars we have recruited way better the Tubby but the end result on D is strongly in Tubby's favor. End result is what counts.

One if you read all of what I said you would have read that you still try and recruit the 5* guys but solid evaluation of talent and finding players and coaching them up when you don't get the 5* or 4* Player pays dividends coaching them up when you do get top talent is equally important. While you are correct that a Kevin Green is not an everyday occurrence look at Auburns history of finding lower rated players who make in impact. It just doesn't seem to be happening on D side of the ball as much as in the past.

You might have gotten tired of Tubby but he always had strong defenses. In last few years just based on stars we have recruited way better the Tubby but the end result on D is strongly in Tubby's favor. End result is what counts.

And like I stated, you have to coach them when they get here regardless. Thats a no brainer. Agreed that the end result is all the counts though.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently re-evaluated and earned his 247 4*. He was already a composite 4*.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Georgia-rankings-update-Ohio-State-commit-on-the-move-34068900

Though he's not overwhelming from a frame perspective, Harrell showed us what we want to see out of a four-star offensive lineman when the lights were on this fall. The Auburn commit moves into the four-star ranks based on that senior film.

Archived