Recruiting and the Timing Issue

AU Counsel

Some people seem to be worrying about our failure to "lead" (as if we truly know) with key prospects right now. Let's step back and realize the following:

1. We aren't even at A-Day yet.

2. The Summer Camp Circuit hasn't begun.

3. We have yet to hold Big Cat Weekend.

4. We went from a terrible season to a great season. A second solid season will prove we are back and not a flash in the pan.

5. Georgia is building on the hype of its new DC. But a 4 or 5 loss UGA team will be a bit tarnished by signing day.

6. Saban will have a monster class again, but he may be facing a 3 loss regular season.

7. There is a lot of time left to build, solidify and enhance relationships.

8. Senior seasons have yet to be played. Many top prospects have yet to truly emerge.

My only question is this... Where were we recruiting wise this time last year? Less or more commitments than last year?

I try not to be negative in my posts, but my thoughts are that we just played for the National Championship. We play an exciting brand of football, I would think we should be in better shape or at least equal to the recruiting of Tennessee, Penn State, Texas A&M, Nebraska, West Virginia, and Clemson. Knowing that we are early in the recruiting year, it does bother me that these schools are currently ahead of AU recruiting as well: North Carolina, Texas Tech, Iowa, Mizzu, TCS, Miss State, and Arky. It should not matter what time of the year it it, we should be kicking almost all of the schools I listed arse's in recruiting, period.

My information came from 247Sports.

JFD, look at all the schools you listed. They all have the same things in common. All of them have huge holes to fill, playing time to sell and have offers out to half the country. There are a few big name at A&M, UTk, Penn State and Clemson. But they have all under achieved and/or been losing the last few years. We will finish ahead of all but maybe two of those schools. The big dogs walk late! I am just trying to ease nerves though, not trying to say you are crazy, wrong or even argue. I just think you should relax some. Craig and Garner will provide. I have watched how both guys operate for several years, not just at AU. We have Smith and Cheese. Rhett, Tim and Gus are all great as well. We are not in a position to not have to take commits from just any 3-4* kids we can get. We can be selective, and we should be.

^^This. You hit the nail on the head in regards to selectivity as well. We are being patient because we can afford to be patient. It's a good "problem" to have.

I try not to be negative in my posts, but my thoughts are that we just played for the National Championship. We play an exciting brand of football, I would think we should be in better shape or at least equal to the recruiting of Tennessee, Penn State, Texas A&M, Nebraska, West Virginia, and Clemson. Knowing that we are early in the recruiting year, it does bother me that these schools are currently ahead of AU recruiting as well: North Carolina, Texas Tech, Iowa, Mizzu, TCS, Miss State, and Arky. It should not matter what time of the year it it, we should be kicking almost all of the schools I listed arse's in recruiting, period.

Without looking, I'll bet they are beating us on numbers right now, not quality. By the time we get the 29 lined up that we can sign this year (assuming four early enrolees) we'll pass them.

Without looking, I'll bet they are beating us on numbers right now, not quality. By the time we get the 29 lined up that we can sign this year (assuming four early enrolees) we'll pass them.

And if we include Jason Smith, we've already got 2 of those guys.

As several people noted, those teams of concern mostly have immediate playing time to offer. JMO but I expect AU is filling voids and not (at this point) just recruiting any top rated athlete....irrespective of position.

IMO, it's waaay too early to be counting commits and stars. And further to Mikey's comment....Gus has shown a propensity to sign several Jucos and right now we don't know who will catch his attention....so plenty of time for good things to happen.

Its just like a 5K marathon. Would you prefer to be in first at the 1k marker? Sure. When the race is over does it matter who was in first at the 1k marker? Nope. Remember that Kentucky had like the number 1 recruiting class in the country pratically all summer last year. On top of that all the sites are just now getting serious about ranking guys for next year. Some of the highly ranked guys will go down and some of the lower ranks guys will move up. If things still look shaking in recruiting come fall camp then we'll have reason to wonder. Until then your just worrying to worry.

Its just like a 5K marathon. Would you prefer to be in first at the 1k marker? Sure. When the race is over does it matter who was in first at the 1k marker? Nope. Remember that Kentucky had like the number 1 recruiting class in the country pratically all summer last year. On top of that all the sites are just now getting serious about ranking guys for next year. Some of the highly ranked guys will go down and some of the lower ranks guys will move up. If things still look shaking in recruiting come fall camp then we'll have reason to wonder. Until then your just worrying to worry.

:dunno:

:dunno:/>

I guess everyone just agrees to stop running 1/8 of the way though? Or maybe the 5K is the prize money?

Thanks for the follow ups. Yesterday was a great day both recruiting wise and we got to watch our awesome team show it's stuff. Per 247 we have climbed 8 places on the team recruiting board to 10th. We have the Big Mo now!

Our recruiting strategy is quality and filling needs. Gus and company are not worried and neither should we be.

In the end, we will have a consensus top 10 recruiting class, and I will predict we will finish in the top five when the dust finally settles.

There are several 5 stars we are after where we lead or are in their top three. We will have two to three new verbal commits in the next four weeks. Things are looking extremely bright for the future of AU football. Relax fellow Aubies and enjoy the ride.

I am not sure that AU has EVER been in as in a good of shape as we are now! And yes, I mean EVER!

The Pat Dye years were special, but we were not in this kind of shape even then.

The Tommy Tuberville years were good to us, but not where we are now.

The best days of AU sports are ahead of us.

Our recruiting strategy is quality and filling needs. Gus and company are not worried and neither should we be.

In the end, we will have a consensus top 10 recruiting class, and I will predict we will finish in the top five when the dust finally settles.

There are several 5 stars we are after where we lead or are in their top three. We will have two to three new verbal commits in the next four weeks. Things are looking extremely bright for the future of AU football. Relax fellow Aubies and enjoy the ride.

I am not sure that AU has EVER been in as in a good of shape as we are now! And yes, I mean EVER!

The Pat Dye years were special, but we were not in this kind of shape even then.

The Tommy Tuberville years were good to us, but not where we are now.

The best days of AU sports are ahead of us.

We have a staff in full swing on recruiting, and a fun offense to watch. We need to make a push on defensive line recruiting, but appear to be in solid shape at QB, RB, OL, LB and DB in terms of where we stand. I expect Shon Coleman to dominate the way Greg Robinson did, and two dominant left tackles in a row is a big help in OL recruiting. I still think we'll raid the JUCO ranks for one more big time player besides Jovon, probably on the DL.

Archived