Recruiting Mailbox (Free)

http://auburn.247spo...ailbag-28608654

Recruiting Mailbox - Keith Neibuhr

What position are we recruiting Tyler Carr at?

Offensive guard. If you watch his tape and see him in person, he's much more natural there than tackle.

How many do you predict to commit to AU by June 1 , 2014?

I think two or three. Feel really good about Auburn landing FB Chandler Cox, and definitely think Auburn has a shot with RB Jovon Robinson. LB Richard McBryde and CB Darius Slayton might be two others to watch, thought Slayton has said he would wait.

As for Carr … he is certainly worth keeping an eye on.

But Auburn has only 1-2 OL spots left. A lot may depend on 1. How badly they want a center and 2. How badly they want a tackle.

Will we lose any current commits? What's going on with our defensive tackle and defensive end recruiting? Why are we struggling in this area?

1. It sure seems like Montavious Atkinson, the star commit, would have to be tracked. Last week, he seemed pretty concerned about Auburn have three guys committed to play his position.

2. Not a ton of news. Auburn continues to work hard on some guys. Lot of the usual suspects. But the Tigers are in some battles. The fact they haven't been heavily pursuing D'Andre Walker of Georgia leads me to believe DL coach Rodney Garner has something up his sleeve. Auburn has made up some ground with 5-star DT Trent Thompson but UGA remains the team to beat. Five-star DT Daron Payne seems like a Bama lean. Jauntavius Johnson of Lincoln (Ala.) is another major DT target, and he likes Auburn a lot. Tide DT commit Jonathan Ledbetter continues to be pursued. At DE, junior college standout Marquavius Lewis has emerged as possibly the top target. For now, it looks like an Auburn-South Carolina battle.

3. Auburn has 13 commits. Because of that, it seems like the Tigers are struggling on the DL. Just because you don't have commits, it doesn't mean you're struggling. Auburn got most of its 2014 DLs late in the process.

How much of an impact will a commitment by FB Chandler Cox have on OT Martez Ivey?

I don't know either kid extremely well. I've talked to Cox five or six times. I've talked to Ivey once. So that is difficult for me to answer. However, Luke Stampini, who covers Florida for us, seems to think it will greatly help Auburn if it lands Cox. But while Cox has visited Auburn three times, Ivey only has been once. It can't hurt that they are close friends. And Ivey could visit again sometime in the relatively near future. Also, having Cox in his ear wouldn't be a bad thing from Auburn's perspective. These two are very good friends, but sometimes friends go separate ways. In this case, it feels like it would help some.

Would we also take LBs Roquan Smith, Jeff Holland, and Richard McBryde if they wanted to commit? Do you see us getting at least one of ATH Terry Godwin and DB Rashad Roundtree? Would the pups flip out if we get Trent?

1. At one time, it looked like Auburn might only take two LBs. Now, three looks like the number. Not sure the numbers would work out for four — but you never say never.

2. Honestly, no. To me, there's a better chance with Godwin since he's so close to Auburn and has friends on the team. The word is, his family likes UGA.

3. Yes.

Who are the top targets at OL, DT & DE?

My best educated guess:

OL: Martez Ivey

DT: tie - Daron Payne and Trent Thompson

DE: Marquavius Lewis with Natrez Patrick right there.

By the way, these can change in a flash.

What spot is Darrell Williams being recruited for? Star or WLB?

Believe he is an OLB all way. He had a lot of interaction throughout the process with defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson, who coaches the backers. That said, some of these guys are versatile and the positions can be a little interchangeable.

What's the latest on WR Jayson Stanley?

Status quo. The belief is, Georgia is trending some. Remember, though, Stanley is the one that really wants to see more from the Auburn passing attack. That's extremely important to him. Auburn's staff really believes the Tigers will open it up more in 2014. And, the coaches think once that happens more WRs will take notice. It possibly could open Stanley's eyes some. Auburn was his first offer. He likes the Tigers, but wants to see them throw. Makes sense.

Which is likely to commit out of LB Richard McBryde, Jeffery Holland or Roquan Smith?

I'd put them in this order, starting with the most likely to land at Auburn:

1. McBryde

2. Holland

3. Smith

Seems like Auburn is the team to beat with McBryde. Also, the Tigers currently lead with Holland, though Florida is right there. With Smith, Georgia appears to be trending.

In light of the Austin Golson news, what if two out of OLs Drew Richmond, Martez Ivey, and Javon Patterson wanted to come to AU? Any idea if Auburn would just make room?

Can't say for certain … but gut says Auburn would find a way to make that work if it were the right two.

Do we take a 2nd QB if we don't land Torrance Gibson or Kai Locksley?

If — and only if — the Tigers find someone they 1. really like and 2. he fits with what their vision is. I don't believe they will reach.

Two guys in Florida to watch: *Deondre Francois and Lamar Jackson. The Tigers apparently like Francois a good bit. Last week, they watched Jackson throw in person. Both are pretty athletic, which is what Auburn wants from a second QB commit.

*=E's surprise early pick to be in the AU class FWIW.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much of an impact will a commitment by FB Chandler Cox have on OT Martez Ivey?

I don't know either kid extremely well. I've talked to Cox five or six times. I've talked to Ivey once. So that is difficult for me to answer. However, Luke Stampini, who covers Florida for us, seems to think it will greatly help Auburn if it lands Cox. But while Cox has visited Auburn three times, Ivey only has been once. It can't hurt that they are close friends. And Ivey could visit again sometime in the relatively near future. Also, having Cox in his ear wouldn't be a bad thing from Auburn's perspective. These two are very good friends, but sometimes friends go separate ways. In this case, it feels like it would help some.

Well it would bug the heck out of me.

It depends how it's done. Most recruits know how to do it without bugging the other recruits.

It depends how it's done. Most recruits know how to do it without bugging the other recruits.

Tyler Queen is a good example of this

Tyler Queen is a good example of this

As was Deshaun Davis and Cam Toney in the last 2 classes.

Would we also take LBs Roquan Smith, Jeff Holland, and Richard McBryde if they wanted to commit?

At one time, it looked like Auburn might only take two LBs. Now, three looks like the number. Not sure the numbers would work out for four — but you never say never.

This should make Mikey happy.

Either i have a dirty mind or E didnt pick it up. Either way i just spit my drink on my screen

Would we also take LBs Roquan Smith, Jeff Holland, and Richard McBryde if they wanted to commit?

At one time, it looked like Auburn might only take two LBs. Now, three looks like the number. Not sure the numbers would work out for four — but you never say never.

This should make Mikey happy.

Still 1 LB away from making him happy. Funny thing is though in the new free top targets article today Keith reverted back to 2 LBs. lol

Either i have a dirty mind or E didnt pick it up. Either way i just spit my drink on my screen

I can see how you can turn mine dirty but no WTTE's.

Yeah, I also read it as "pun intended".

Well, the sarcasm detector is working better; but your ear for dirty jokes is deaf. Maybe there's something stuck in it?

This is the best Auburn has recruited....................period............... and I have been around a long time

Amen! War Eagle!

This is the best Auburn has recruited....................period............... and I have been around a long time

:iamwithstupid: about the current state of Auburn recruiting, even though I'm A LOT younger. ;)

:iamwithstupid: about the current state of Auburn recruiting, even though I'm A LOT younger. ;)

your post was very informative

your post was very informative

Yeah, I guess there's some vagueness there, sorry. I could be in my 90s and it would be still be true.

ISWYDT

Yup. You're our beer lovin Yoda.

ISWYDT

Oops. I did not read the red part. I thought WTTE was saying that about Keith's entire reply. I am usually the first of my friends to call out dirty puns....when I hear it, apparently not so much when I read it. Good one WTTE. ROFLAMAO.

"The fact they haven't been heavily pursuing D'Andre Walker of Georgia leads me to believe DL coach Rodney Garner has something up his sleeve." :hellyeah: My advice is to sit back and enjoy. And I don't know what RG has up his sleeve but I'm 100% sure is does.

Well, the sarcasm detector is working better; but your ear for dirty jokes is deaf. Maybe there's something stuck in it?

:rollin: One of the greatest posts ever!

Archived