Judge dismisses lawsuit over houndstooth

AFTiger

Have anyone ever seen a photo of Bear wearing houndstooth?

3717339_G.jpg

A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit over use of the houndstooth pattern made famous by hats worn by former Alabama football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) - A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit over use of the houndstooth pattern made famous by hats worn by former Alabama football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant.

The University of Alabama System board of trustees and its president pro tem had filed the suit against a Georgia-based company over its use of the houndstooth pattern.

In an order filed Monday, U.S. District Court Judge R. David Proctor dismissed the case, noting the parties had reached a settlement. Details of the settlement weren't immediately available.

The Tuscaloosa News reports that the attorney for Houndstooth Mafia Enterprises was unavailable for comment on Monday.

The lawsuit filed in September 2013 was based on a dispute over trademark rights to the houndstooth pattern, which was used in a logo.

Once again it is good to see: "The University of Alabama System board of trustees and its president pro tem"

making complete fools out of themselves for the whole nation to witness!

I've seen a picture of Sherlock Holmes wearing a hounds-tooth deerstalker cap.............. sorry Bear and Bama your not first in this either.............

M5O0KvYiwskunYW.jpg

I didn't know Da Bear invented houndstooth or trademarked it? What a stupid way to waste tax payers dollars. Sort of like when people sue McDonalds because they get fat.... smh

"Houndstooth Mafia Enterprises" ... ... Just let those 3 words sink in. :no:

and "Jr." Here's a link to the story from September. http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/09/university_of_alabama_trustees.html

The Origin of Bear Bryant’s Houndstooth Hat

There’s nothing more Southern than the houndstooth hat of legendary Alabama coach Paul “Bear” Bryant. But as the story goes, Bryant got the hat from a Yankee.

We’ll give you time to catch your breath ...

OK, now that reality has sunk in, what’s the story behind it?

Paul-Bear-Bryant-300x263.jpg

According to an article by Meredith Cummings entitled “Alabama’s Houndstooth History,” Bryant always had worn plain fedoras or baseball caps on the sideline - not his trademark houndstooth - when he first took over the program in 1958.

That may be tough to swallow, but consider how he then got his trademark look: Multiple reports said that Sonny Werblin, the former owner of the New York Jets, offered Bryant the hat when he was trying to woo former Alabama quarterback Joe Namath to the Jets leading up to the 1965 AFL draft.

Namath eventually was selected first overall in the ‘65 AFL draft, 12th overall in that year’s NFL draft by the St. Louis Cardinals and had a decision to make. Of course, he chose the Jets, whom he led to a famous win in Super Bowl III.

For his part, Bryant was forever stuck as the houndstooth’s unofficial leading man. But it’s unclear if Werblin’s gift had any influence on Namath.

“(Werblin) gave Coach Bryant that hat during that time and I don’t think it was planned, but then other people started giving hats to him,” said Ken Gaddy, director of the Paul W. Bryant Museum, according to Cummings.

“You’ve got to remember the time, so that’s what everybody would have been wearing. It was what men did.”

And a lot of Alabama men wanted to look like Bryant.

In fact, Bryant and Werblin went into business together. The two started a company so that Bryant could manufacture his own line of houndstooth hats, according to “Coach: The Life of Paul ‘Bear’ Bryant” by Keith Dunnavant.

keep reading

That law suit was like when Bill Gates tried to copyright the word "Windows", as if we hadn't had them in the walls of our houses for centuries.

I always thought this was houndstooth.

Hundtandsrutor.png

It is, lots of variation in size and colors used.

320px-Lanvin_houndstooth.jpg

I used to own a houndstooth skirt. I loved it. I loved wearing it to work. This was way before the Bammer's started claiming all things houndstooth. I still like it but will not wear anything houndstooth and risk being accused of being a Bammer.

Hundtandsrutor.png

Am I the only one who got physically sick looking at this picture?

Nope.

On a trip to Orlando a few years ago, our hotel room had houndstooth carpet (not black and white, but still). My son asked if we could switch hotels. Raising 'em right. ;)

"Houndstooth Mafia Enterprises" ... ... Just let those 3 words sink in. :no:/>

and "Jr." Here's a link to the story from September. http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/09/university_of_alabama_trustees.html

The UAT board & Paul Jr. seem to share similar genes with Updyke. Their major difference being one of formal education.

"Houndstooth Mafia Enterprises" ... ... Just let those 3 words sink in. :no:/>

and "Jr." Here's a link to the story from September. http://blog.al.com/s...a_trustees.html

The UAT board & Paul Jr. seem to share similar genes with Updyke. Their major difference being one of formal education.

Considering AU's history of board members and individual's that controlled the BOT - I find myself wanting to refrain from taking jabs at others. There's one thing that is certain ~ the state of Alabama has had some of the most fervent, obsessive, hard-core, unethical and idiotic trustees running the state's two largest colleges. Our state is probably second only to Texas in that regard.

Lumping AU in with uat on this subject is way past ignorant, to say the least. :-\

Hundtandsrutor.png

Am I the only one who got physically sick looking at this picture?

Nope.

On a trip to Orlando a few years ago, our hotel room had houndstooth carpet (not black and white, but still). My son asked if we could switch hotels. Raising 'em right. ;)/>

WAR EAGLE!!!

I used to love houndstooth,and I wore it a lot before the bammers laid claim to the design. It makes me SICK that the bammers think they actually own it now. I wouldn't be caught dead wearing houndstooth these days.

Have anyone ever seen a photo of Bear wearing houndstooth?

3717339_G.jpg

A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit over use of the houndstooth pattern made famous by hats worn by former Alabama football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant.

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) - A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit over use of the houndstooth pattern made famous by hats worn by former Alabama football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant.

The University of Alabama System board of trustees and its president pro tem had filed the suit against a Georgia-based company over its use of the houndstooth pattern.

In an order filed Monday, U.S. District Court Judge R. David Proctor dismissed the case, noting the parties had reached a settlement. Details of the settlement weren't immediately available.

The Tuscaloosa News reports that the attorney for Houndstooth Mafia Enterprises was unavailable for comment on Monday.

The lawsuit filed in September 2013 was based on a dispute over trademark rights to the houndstooth pattern, which was used in a logo.

They do exist, but "plaid" was the pattern he was most famous for. Believe it or not, Shug used to wear houndstooth. But, the most famous pictures of the Bahr all have him wearing plaid, not houndstooth.

• 2 weeks later...

Houndstooth is a classic pattern. It's really a shame Bama has claimed ownership of it.

By the way, if you just google images of 'Bear Bryant', it's difficult to find him in houndstooth (almost always plaid).

:no:

There's a related post on TWER about Shug's houndstooth hat.

img053.jpg

They have certainly ruined the design for all those who are not Turd fans. Pretty sad actually.

Archived