Marine General on Bergdahl swap

TexasTiger

Bowe is in the Army. What's a MARINE General ( RET ) have to do with anything ?

He's a friend of the family. What's he suppose to say, but spin this as best he can ?

Nothing he says can undo what Bowe did, and what his father has said, done.

He's a friend of the family. What's he suppose to say, but spin this as best he can ?

The guy compared the negotiations to a chess match that, in his opinion, American won by giving up 5, 4 star generals in the Taliban for one deserter. I have a hard time comprehending that metaphor because i would have to say that deal is tantamount to giving up 2 rooks, 2 bishops and the queen for one pawn. How could that ever be considered to be a winning move?

Bingo

The guy compared the negotiations to a chess match that, in his opinion, American won by giving up 5, 4 star generals in the Taliban for one deserter. I have a hard time comprehending that metaphor because i would have to say that deal is tantamount to giving up 2 rooks, 2 bishops and the queen for one pawn. How could that ever be considered to be a winning move?

Exactly. It's not like we're taking their best pieces OFF the board. To the contrary, we're putting them back ON! It's utter nonsense to claim that the US some how came out as the winner of this trade. That's just partisan party line jargon, which simply has no basis in reality.

That 64 year old retired marine general must still be looking for a job in the current administration.

One POW does not matter that much in determining military operations. I also believe the higher ups knew the guy was a captured American deserter.

American POWs have been killed before during US operations. There were Americans killed by the atomic bombing of Hiroshima.

Thousands of American POWs in WWII were killed while being transported on Japanese freighters that were sunk by American submarines. The submarines could not tell if the ships had POWs. The assumption was that they held Japanese troops and supplies.

Archived