That will leave a Mark ...

RunInRed

Wait, so of 48 SEC games they have played in that span only 17 of the opponents finished with over .500 records?

Am I calculating this properly?

Wait, so of 48 SEC games they have played in that span only 17 of the opponents finished with over .500 records?

I suppose that's possible, since teams at exactly .500 would be excluded and they play UK and Vandy every year. I'm too lazy to do the research.

Another interesting tid-bit about UGA came from ESPN two years ago. They went back 10 years and calculated recruiting class ratings. UGA had the nation's #1 recruiting rating over the ten-year period, with very little to show for it.

I hope Richt stays there a lot longer.

AU has accomplished more in the last 4 years (BCS, 2 SEC & #2 Ranking) than UGA has accomplished in the last 30 years.

I suppose that's possible, since teams at exactly .500 would be excluded and they play UK and Vandy every year. I'm too lazy to do the research.

Another interesting tid-bit about UGA came from ESPN two years ago. They went back 10 years and calculated recruiting class ratings. UGA had the nation's #1 recruiting rating over the ten-year period, with very little to show for it.

Interesting stat on their recruiting. I also hope Richt retires as UGA coach.

That stat kind of puts a big argument against the strength of the SEC though, if a team in the east can have 65% of their opponents under .500 over a span of 6 years, it certainly doesn't look good for conference toughness. Luckily, we are now benefiting from what screwed us in 2004 -- those tv deals with certain networks. So we can at least count on ESPN brainwashing the masses because it will spark an interest for the casual fan.

"By nearly every account, Georgia Head Coach Mark Richt is twice the man most of us will ever be. He manages a stressful career with grace. He volunteers what little free time he has to many charitable endeavors, and shares his income with his community. There are fewer people that do more for the city of Athens and the state of Georgia than Mark and Katharyn Richt"

Because he's such a great human being, UGA will find it increasingly difficult to bring the hammer. I guess after the two knuckleheads they had at the HC position after Dooley, the head honchos figure they could do way worse. For a number of reasons, I too hope he retires there. In ten or twelve years.

In the past six college football seasons, Georgia has faced 17 SEC teams that finished the season above .500 in conference play, and won only four times.

Read More: http://cfn.scout.com/2/1412512.html

So am I reading this correctly; Richt is 4-13 vs SEC teams that finish over .500?

Hope he stays in Athens!

Interesting stat on their recruiting. I also hope Richt retires as UGA coach.

That stat kind of puts a big argument against the strength of the SEC though, if a team in the east can have 65% of their opponents under .500 over a span of 6 years, it certainly doesn't look good for conference toughness. Luckily, we are now benefiting from what screwed us in 2004 -- those tv deals with certain networks. So we can at least count on ESPN brainwashing the masses because it will spark an interest for the casual fan.

He WILL retire from coaching as the UGA coach...

Unfortunately, it won't be in his 60s.

Well it certainly is a fact that Richt is a really good but not great coach but I just wish he didn't have such a good record against Auburn. Mark Richt is 8-5 against Auburn. We beat UGA under Richt in 2001, 2004, 2005, 2010, and 2013.

That is the only wrong with our playing UGA. They dont seem to be able to beat anyone, but us.

The whole "I hope Richt stays" sentiment from Auburn fans makes me laugh. He kind of owns us.

Current SEC coaches record v. Auburn:

Miles 7-2

Richt 8-5

Spurrier 10-8 (0-5 at USCe)

Saban 6-6

Sumlin 1-1

Freeze 1-1

Mason 0-0

Stoops 0-0

Muschamp 0-1

Pinkel 0-1

Bielema 0-1

Jones 0-1

Mullen 1-4

Over their careers, Richt has been better against us than Spurrier, including beating an 11-win Auburn team with one of his worst teams. A lot of good Richt being average has done us.

The whole "I hope Richt stays" sentiment from Auburn fans makes me laugh. He kind of owns us.

Current SEC coaches record v. Auburn:

Miles 7-2

Richt 8-5

Spurrier 10-8 (0-5 at USCe)

Saban 6-6

Sumlin 1-1

Freeze 1-1

Mason 0-0

Stoops 0-0

Muschamp 0-1

Pinkel 0-1

Bielema 0-1

Jones 0-1

Mullen 1-4

Over their careers, Richt has been better against us than Spurrier, including beating an 11-win Auburn team with one of his worst teams. A lot of good Richt being average has done us.

I want him to stay so we even it up against him or better. If he continues to beat us more often than not, he can go. :)

That is the only wrong with our playing UGA. They dont seem to be able to beat anyone, but us.

Not hardly. They have won 10 games or more 8 out of his 13 years there.

Well judging by the years of his wins, he seems to do well when Auburn is not quite at the top of its' game. Now 06 and 07 stand out as exceptions to that but when Auburn has a solid team we more than hold our own.

Personally I don't care if he does stay or not. I think with Gus at the helm, Auburn will take care of business well more often than not.

Richt and Miles are the only guys that have shown an ability to beat good, very good or great Auburn teams.

Richt beat 9-win 2002, 11-win 2006, 9-win 2007.

Miles beat 9-win 2005, 9-win 2007, and 12-win 2013.

Miles in particular is a burr in our butt. We were 20-2 against the rest of the SEC in those three years listed above. Richt's wins in 2002 and 2006 kept us out of the SEC title game (UGA win it in 2002; UF, who we had already beaten that year, win it in 2006).

They were ready to run him out of town on a rail here just a couple of years ago. He saved himself with that run to the SECCG.

....and of course, there's the flip side to the coin for fans who suffer from WHYDFML syndrome. Here you have a head coach who's brought the most success and stability to the program since Dooley's days, yet somehow they feel they can do better if the reigns were turned over to an unproven commodity. If I were a fan, I would be slightly concerned of my team's record against competition above .500, but it's not a deal breaker.

Personally, I hope they send him packing so they may once again toil in mediocrity as they did during the Goff/Donnan years. Only in hindsight would fans become more appreciative of what they had.

They were ready to run him out of town on a rail here just a couple of years ago. He saved himself with that run to the SECCG.

....and of course, there's the flip side to the coin for fans who suffer from WHYDFML syndrome. Here you have a head coach who's brought the most success and stability to the program since Dooley's days, yet somehow they feel they can do better if the reigns were turned over to an unproven commodity. If I were a fan, I would be slightly concerned of my team's record against competition above .500, but it's not a deal breaker.

Personally, I hope they send him packing so they may once again toil in mediocrity as they did during the Goff/Donnan years. Only in hindsight would fans become more appreciative of what they had.

Like us post-Tuberville, minus the one year wonder

2-7 against Les? Wow. For a dufus, he does win a bunch of games. Still wouldn't want him, would be way too frustrating.

Bad comp. Richt never had a 2004 team. He should've had that team in 2002, but they dropped a game they shouldn't have (the Zooker's Gators) and almost lost the Auburn game.

Richt also never had a run like Tubs. 2004-2006: 33-5 overall, 22-3 in the SEC. Tuberville had his issues (laying an egg with a clearly-superior-talent team in 2003 and batting .500 on OC hires), but he wasn't Mark Richt. Tubs was fantastic against top teams; Richt can't beat good teams.

Archived