Economy in U.S. Grows More Than Forecast

RunInRed

Well, I sure ain't going to ignore my personal reality, which is my portfolio is up more than 12% for the last 12 months. ;)/> ;D/>

That's all that matters, right? ;)/>

Not at all.

But AA was making statements about what "Democrats and Liberals" feel about the economy as a liberal (if not a Democrat) I just thought I'd provide my personal perspective, first hand report from a liberal so to speak. Take it for what it's worth.

But if he doesn't have a job, I can understand why he's so disgruntled.

I've noticed on several occasions where you use your personal improvements as fodder for the Democrats policy making. I'll take that for what it's worth.

Personally I'm doing ok, but I know a lot of people who are struggling to regain their footing since 2008 and the loss of jobs in their respective areas of life. Most are still treading water if not going under. I guess they should become liberals and give in? ;)/>

I think the people who are still suffering from the great recession of 2008 ought to do some serious critical thinking about what caused it and strive to support whatever party they think best represents a change from those policies.

As far as my personal condition, if you and others can offer anecdotes about unnamed people who are suffering, I don't see anything wrong with offering a personal account that disproves the universality of that reality.

I understand that our system works for people like me and is not working for many other less advantaged people. I understand that once one can attain a certain level of assets they enter into a "different economy" that places them above the daily struggle that is all too common for many people. (At least if they have the sense to live beneath their means.)

As a liberal, I think we should do everything possible to reform our system to empower everyone to reach a status of financial independence if they are capable of doing so. That includes providing them help. I don't see that as a threat to me at all. Just the opposite.

Help on a temporary basis is one thing, but many of you have no problem with the Robin Hood method of taking from one and giving to another. That never works but hey...it's your ideology not mine.

BTW, it's none of your business who these people are, but they are hurting and you can damn well bet they would be happy to let you know about it.

That's a BS characterization of what I said and you know it. It sounds like something Blue might say. I thought you were better. I also thought you were better than playing the victim vs. the truly disadvantaged.

You'll have to explain the second sentence. I don't understand what you are saying at all.

Get off the "I thought you were better than that" mantra. You present yourself in a way that leads someone to conclude exactly what I stated. I'm tired of the BS myself so deal with it. Go back and read the post prior to my reply. If you still don't understand my second sentence then I can't help you.

Please show me where I believe in "taking from the rich and giving it to the poor".

Presumably, no matter what your objections to current programs, you would support some sort of program - real or imagined - that would help disadvantage people work their way out of poverty, or their physical handicap or whatever. Presumably you think that would be appropriate for a stronger and more moral society.

I am not going to make up some outrageous characterization of your attitudes such as "I've got mine, screw everyone else" and insist that is what you believe. I think that is a BS tactic that frankly, I am above it.

But that is exactly what you are doing regarding me.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

homer, did i just read you calling Thomas Sowell an Uncle Tom?

Seriously?

Writes nothing substantive?

Really?

DO YOU HAVE A MIRROR IN YOUR HOME?

Dr Sowell is one of the better Intellects in the nation. By any one's account.

Well, I can show you at least one person who agrees with me.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Thomas_Sowell

And no, I did not call him an Uncle Tom. I did say one of the reasons for his popularity is his race.

But to be honest, my opinion of him is informed by reading his columns for many years. I have never read any of his books. Supposedly he has made some contributions to economics. Certainly can't prove it by his columns.

Well, I sure ain't going to ignore my personal reality, which is my portfolio is up more than 12% for the last 12 months. ;)/> ;D/>

That's all that matters, right? ;)/>

Not at all.

But AA was making statements about what "Democrats and Liberals" feel about the economy as a liberal (if not a Democrat) I just thought I'd provide my personal perspective, first hand report from a liberal so to speak. Take it for what it's worth.

But if he doesn't have a job, I can understand why he's so disgruntled.

I've noticed on several occasions where you use your personal improvements as fodder for the Democrats policy making. I'll take that for what it's worth.

Personally I'm doing ok, but I know a lot of people who are struggling to regain their footing since 2008 and the loss of jobs in their respective areas of life. Most are still treading water if not going under. I guess they should become liberals and give in? ;)/>

I think the people who are still suffering from the great recession of 2008 ought to do some serious critical thinking about what caused it and strive to support whatever party they think best represents a change from those policies.

As far as my personal condition, if you and others can offer anecdotes about unnamed people who are suffering, I don't see anything wrong with offering a personal account that disproves the universality of that reality.

I understand that our system works for people like me and is not working for many other less advantaged people. I understand that once one can attain a certain level of assets they enter into a "different economy" that places them above the daily struggle that is all too common for many people. (At least if they have the sense to live beneath their means.)

As a liberal, I think we should do everything possible to reform our system to empower everyone to reach a status of financial independence if they are capable of doing so. That includes providing them help. I don't see that as a threat to me at all. Just the opposite.

Help on a temporary basis is one thing, but many of you have no problem with the Robin Hood method of taking from one and giving to another. That never works but hey...it's your ideology not mine.

BTW, it's none of your business who these people are, but they are hurting and you can damn well bet they would be happy to let you know about it.

That's a BS characterization of what I said and you know it. It sounds like something Blue might say. I thought you were better. I also thought you were better than playing the victim vs. the truly disadvantaged.

You'll have to explain the second sentence. I don't understand what you are saying at all.

Go back and read the post prior to my reply. If you still don't understand my second sentence then I can't help you.

Sorry, I still don't understand it. But if you are too good to explain yourself, forget it. It doesn't matter.

The actual value doesn't matter. I was just curious if you tracked it as an indicator of personal financial acumen.

You - and a handful of others - on this forum like to come on here and disparage the opinions and positions of others by attacking their intelligence and calling them ignorant.

I don't think you - meaning all of you - are nearly as smart as you think you are. If you were, you'd be able to see at least some value in opposing views. I don't think you are really capable of objective, critical thinking. And the more you post on here, the more I think that.

You make really stupid and pointless posts like the one above responding to Blue (who is another habitual offender). Ya'll come on here to use the forum to vent your mindless political passions which is certainly your right, just don't expect to avoid being called on it. It's our forum too.

Indeed you 'on the other side' should expose your views. It allows anyone with a mind with common sense and the ability to reason to see what the Democrat/Liberal mind thinks. The fact that IMO the vast majority of what you people think is ignorant shouldn't matter as others form their opinions. I'm far from the only one who honestly believes the liberal mind is at a minimum somewhat mentally ill and at worst, insane. For example, here's Thomas Sowell's article wondering about 'ya'lls' ability to think as well. http://jewishworldre...p3#.U-EXUPco7IU

Well, it's hardly surprising someone so content in their ignorance would endorse Sowell. He writes for people like you.

There you go. Avoid the realities of what is being said and throw in a little 'attack the messenger'. You probably will end up in the later category mentioned above.

Sowell has never written a substantive, thoughtful "message" in his life. He has made a career publishing rhetorical fluff. He's a political shill of the worst type. The only reason he is well known is because he capitalized on the novelty (at the time) of being a black conservative wacko. He's a perfect fit for a shameless political rag like "Forbes" and he has ridden them from the beginning.

I used to get a copy of Forbes at work decades ago and would read every column he wrote just for the humor of it.

You left out calling him an "Uncle Tom".

Are you saying he should get a pass because of his race?

Absolutely not. You see, I'm an America loving Conservative who has embraced 'judging people by character, not color'. Now those on the Liberal/Democrat side are constantly fanning the false racism flames. i.e anyone who criticizes Obama. Should Obama get a pass because his race? You're brethren obviously think so.

The actual value doesn't matter. I was just curious if you tracked it as an indicator of personal financial acumen.

You - and a handful of others - on this forum like to come on here and disparage the opinions and positions of others by attacking their intelligence and calling them ignorant.

I don't think you - meaning all of you - are nearly as smart as you think you are. If you were, you'd be able to see at least some value in opposing views. I don't think you are really capable of objective, critical thinking. And the more you post on here, the more I think that.

You make really stupid and pointless posts like the one above responding to Blue (who is another habitual offender). Ya'll come on here to use the forum to vent your mindless political passions which is certainly your right, just don't expect to avoid being called on it. It's our forum too.

Indeed you 'on the other side' should expose your views. It allows anyone with a mind with common sense and the ability to reason to see what the Democrat/Liberal mind thinks. The fact that IMO the vast majority of what you people think is ignorant shouldn't matter as others form their opinions. I'm far from the only one who honestly believes the liberal mind is at a minimum somewhat mentally ill and at worst, insane. For example, here's Thomas Sowell's article wondering about 'ya'lls' ability to think as well. http://jewishworldre...p3#.U-EXUPco7IU

Well, it's hardly surprising someone so content in their ignorance would endorse Sowell. He writes for people like you.

There you go. Avoid the realities of what is being said and throw in a little 'attack the messenger'. You probably will end up in the later category mentioned above.

Sowell has never written a substantive, thoughtful "message" in his life. He has made a career publishing rhetorical fluff. He's a political shill of the worst type. The only reason he is well known is because he capitalized on the novelty (at the time) of being a black conservative wacko. He's a perfect fit for a shameless political rag like "Forbes" and he has ridden them from the beginning.

I used to get a copy of Forbes at work decades ago and would read every column he wrote just for the humor of it.

Absolutely not. You see, I'm an America loving Conservative who has embraced 'judging people by character, not color'. Now those on the Liberal/Democrat side are constantly fanning the false racism flames. i.e anyone who criticizes Obama. Should Obama get a pass because his race? You're brethren obviously think so.

Absolutely not. But is race a very important reason why he was elected in the first place? Absolutely. I have never disputed that.

On the other hand, do I believe that much of the vitriol directed toward Obama is directly or indirectly due to his race. Absolutely.

Do you find that confusing?

Absolutely not. But is race a very important reason why he was elected in the first place? Absolutely. I have never disputed that.

On the other hand, do I believe that much of the vitriol directed toward Obama is directly or indirectly due to his race. Absolutely.

SO, in your mind there's no way any of the vitriol directed toward Obama is due to his poor job performance as measured against what HE SAID he was going to be and do? Do you conveniently not remember that, according to him, he "is the one we had all been waiting for"..the prophet of hope and change? His campaign promises about reducing the deficit in half by the end of his 1st term, his putting an end to corruption inside the beltway, his being a uniter and not a divider? The only thing he has delivered is a disastrous healthcare plan that the majority of Americans DO NOT WANT.

In a sane world, any of these failures, singularly, justify the vitriol he has gotten and when you consider all of them in conjunction with the absolute worst foreign policy agenda since the Carter admin and all you can do is play the race card? When the race card is played in this context its done to provide an exit ramp from facing the realities of the disappointing failures his agenda has produced. Well played, homey. :-\

What a bunch of BS. Race has little to do with his incompetence. Unreal.

Seriously?

Really?

http://rationalwiki....i/Thomas_Sowell

And no, I did not call him an Uncle Tom. I did say one of the reasons for his popularity is his race.

But to be honest, my opinion of him is informed by reading his columns for many years. I have never read any of his books. Supposedly he has made some contributions to economics. Certainly can't prove it by his columns.

That was the worst post you have put on this board, well, since ever.

You sighted a wiki page???? OMG! A totally slanted, twisted, mangled, biased NON-FACT OPINION PAGE?

Thomas Sowell has experienced govt inefficiencies first hand. It was the changing event in his life. He watched govt managers and employees in their jobs act with total disregard for the people they are serving. SOUNDS SUSPICIOUSLY LIKE THE VA TODAY.

Of course, you dont like that he says the truth. That he is trying to fix things. To make the lives of the COMMON people better.

No, you like to hear really eloquent MEANINGLESS words that of an incompetent blowhard.

The criticism of Obama on his Africa Policies are numerous. Compared to Bush, Obama is a non-starter in Africa. Is that because of his race as well?

I think modern libs want to stereotype everything. Some small contingent on the far right are Birthers. But not all of Obama's critics are.

It is not racist to say that the ACA website was a smashing failure.

It is not racist to say that the Stimulus was a smashing failure.

It is not racist to say that his foreign policy is a smashing failure.

Sometimes, it just is what it is. Sometimes, Failure is just Failure.

Blaming all your multiple failures on race is just not being able to accept the truth.

Race has some part in the criticism. But blaming race, especially when you are talking about a real black intellectual like Sowell is just 100 miles past reality.

Sowell is talking directly to the problems. Sowell doesnt have a race issue with Obama. Sowell has a competency issue with Obama.

SO, in your mind there's no way any of the vitriol directed toward Obama is due to his poor job performance as measured against what HE SAID he was going to be and do? Do you conveniently not remember that, according to him, he "is the one we had all been waiting for"..the prophet of hope and change? His campaign promises about reducing the deficit in half by the end of his 1st term, his putting an end to corruption inside the beltway, his being a uniter and not a divider? The only thing he has delivered is a disastrous healthcare plan that the majority of Americans DO NOT WANT.

In a sane world, any of these failures, singularly, justify the vitriol he has gotten and when you consider all of them in conjunction with the absolute worst foreign policy agenda since the Carter admin and all you can do is play the race card? When the race card is played in this context its done to provide an exit ramp from facing the realities of the disappointing failures his agenda has produced. Well played, homey. :-\

It what the intellectually lazy and extreme partisans do. Either that or just not very smart.

SO, in your mind....

I know that when I see you lead off with these words I can just skip the rest because it will consist of a lot of extrapolations of things I never said or implied.

Trying to have a discussion with someone over what amounts to lies about my posts is completely pointless. At least I've learned my lesson.

What a bunch of BS. Race has little to do with his incompetence. Unreal.

Didn't say that though, did I?

Please don't turn into another Blue. At least your not as wordy.

Seriously?

Really?

You sighted a wiki page???? OMG! A totally slanted, twisted, mangled, biased NON-FACT OPINION PAGE?

Thomas Sowell has experienced govt inefficiencies first hand. It was the changing event in his life. He watched govt managers and employees in their jobs act with total disregard for the people they are serving. SOUNDS SUSPICIOUSLY LIKE THE VA TODAY.

Of course, you dont like that he says the truth. That he is trying to fix things. To make the lives of the COMMON people better.

No, you like to hear really eloquent MEANINGLESS words that of an incompetent blowhard.

The criticism of Obama on his Africa Policies are numerous. Compared to Bush, Obama is a non-starter in Africa. Is that because of his race as well?

I think modern libs want to stereotype everything. Some small contingent on the far right are Birthers. But not all of Obama's critics are.

Blaming all your multiple failures on race is just not being able to accept the truth.

Race has some part in the criticism. But blaming race, especially when you are talking about a real black intellectual like Sowell is just 100 miles past reality.

Sowell is talking directly to the problems. Sowell doesnt have a race issue with Obama. Sowell has a competency issue with Obama.

First, I wasn't trying to "prove" anything about Sowell. I just wanted to point out that I am not the only one who thinks he's a partisan hack.

And if you read the contents of the wiki article it will point out examples of why I think that.

But that's OK if you think Sowell is a significant intellect. Obviously you aren't the only one. And I don't really care if you disrespect my opinion of him. That's not a problem for me.

As for you comments regarding Obama, I don't disagree with anything you said, well, except maybe for you choice of adjectives. I think "smashing failure" goes too far on many of those items. But again, I certainly didn't say that any of those things had to do with race, did I?

You folks would spare yourselves a lot of effort if you simply responded to what I wrote and no more. I am very deliberate with my words. If you think I am actually implying more than I wrote, just ask me. It's a lot more efficient than you making assumptions and going crazy with them.

Liberals are always compassionate. The problem with their compassion is that they tend to use other people's money and resources to fuel their compassion.

As for the economic downfall between Bush and the ONE, we have liberals and social engineering to thank for that one. And when the finger pointed at them, they tried to lay blame on the greedy Wall St. bankers. But liberls with their social engineering is usually the root of economic downfall.

First word: Detroit.

Second: Fannie/Freddie

This admin know's exactly how to lie and get away with it. But slowly the curtain is coming down on the great OZ.

And anyone supporting the libs at this point int time with all of the evidence of failure/lies out there, well, you can see why their intelligence is questioned.

It what the intellectually lazy and extreme partisans do. Either that or just not very smart.

Are you talking about me All? It's hard to tell.

Yes, I am. You wrote, 'do I believe that much of the vitriol directed toward Obama is directly or indirectly due to his race. Absolutely.' Pansy ass cop out IMO. But it keeps the ignorant focused on racism as opposed to the repeated failures and lies of Obama.

Yes, I am. You wrote, 'do I believe that much of the vitriol directed toward Obama is directly or indirectly due to his race. Absolutely.' Pansy ass cop out IMO. But it keeps the ignorant focused on racism as opposed to the repeated failures and lies of Obama.

So do you really think I am not very smart? Like, compared to you for example?

And please explain how what I said is a "cop out". I think you are reading something into it I didn't say.

Seriously?

Really?

:bow:

Homer, don't turn into another homer. :)

So do you really think I am not very smart? Like, compared to you for example?

Actually I compare you to someone like Rain Man, extremely smart in many ways but ignorant when it comes to common sense and reasoning. Might be able to memorize the phone book but can't tie your shoes or figure out how to get out of a house. Truthfully you sound like a college professor which I often refer to educated idiots. But again, that's just my opinion.

And please explain how what I said is a "cop out". I think you are reading something into it I didn't say.

Of course you do. You have been fooled into thinking that the opposition to Obama's destructive ways is racist. That's lazy, not very smart, or cowardice. What was Obama's approval rating when he entered office? 60 something percent? Maybe higher. Do you thing that 20-30% of Americans woke up one day and said damn, there is a black man in the White House. How did that happen? Let's all get together and oppose him. That would fall under the 'not very smart' category.

Actually I compare you to someone like Rain Man, extremely smart in many ways but ignorant when it comes to common sense and reasoning. Might be able to memorize the phone book but can't tie your shoes or figure out how to get out of a house. Truthfully you sound like a college professor which I often refer to educated idiots. But again, that's just my opinion.

You are on a message board that is dedicated to fans of a university's athletic programs (primarily football), and you are claiming that college professors (which would include Auburn University professors) are educated idiots?

You are on a message board that is dedicated to fans of a university's athletic programs (primarily football), and you are claiming that college professors (which would include Auburn University professors) are educated idiots?

Due to my extremely close relationship with PI's on campus I wouldn't say "idiots", but some lack common sense. So much so I wouldn't aspire to be a PhD unless it were in a research, biological based field. But I wouldn't call them idiots.

Read it a little closer. You missed the word 'often'. I have a relative that is a college professor and he is extremely smart beyond just book sense. Many college professors could make it in the 'real world' but a large percentage of them would have to brush up on asking 'would you like fries with that' while smiling.

Read it a little closer. You missed the word 'often'. I have a relative that is a college professor and he is extremely smart beyond just book sense. Many college professors could make it in the 'real world' but a large percentage of them would have to brush up on asking 'would you like fries with that' while smiling.

I did. Your sentence literally states that you often refer to college professors as educated idiots. To say what you are suggesting that you were trying to say, you would need to say something like: "You sound like a college professor, many of whom I often refer to as educated idiots."

Archived