Nick Marshall will not start against Arkansas

cptau

I could also easily see Marshall sitting the whole game and CGM phrased it that he "would not start" just so arky will have to prepare for two different quarterbacks....

True, but Malzahn was quoted, I believe, as staying that he would not start but he would play against Arkansas.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, sorry -- I missed FHeal saying he couldn't care less if JJ started the whole season.

Anyways....

Obviously, reading comprehension escapes WE'83 .... saying what ever Gus choose's, is a far cry from calling for a replacement.

I didn't accuse you of making that statement of calling for a replacement. AUbritt did...but yet you come from me. Interesting. lol. I know you were not insinuating that JJ should start the rest of the year. I simply addressed your comment regarding the fact you would not care if JJ started the whole season. I simply said i would mind.

Of course we trust the coaches but i would want Gus's head examined if that happened and i'm sure some others would too knowing what we know about Nick and what he has done. Fine if you want to give a politically correct answer but I have no problem with reading and comprehension and addressed the comment. It seems like you have the issue as the response wasn't that deep or serious but i guess some people need someone to fuss with. SMH.

I suppose I mistook the quoted response as an attack from you, for that my apology for the msidirect.

If you want something more, the deeper reason is there.... I trust this staff. I firmly believe if the backup was substandard, or might jeopardize the game, then in my estimation another form of punishment would have been found. For I surely feel Gus wouldn't risk punishing the rest of the team for the mistake of one. That he made such a strong statement, as not starting the returning QB, SPEAKS VOLUMES to me in the trust he has for his backup. Therefore, I could care less which one starts this game, and yes the rest of the season for that matter... as long as this staff thinks it's best for the team. Brevity should not be confused with political correctness, I merely didn't wish to offer mere conjecture.

Oh, sorry -- I missed FHeal saying he couldn't care less if JJ started the whole season.

Anyways....

Obviously, reading comprehension escapes WE'83 .... saying what ever Gus choose's, is a far cry from calling for a replacement.

I didn't accuse you of making that statement of calling for a replacement. AUbritt did...but yet you come from me. Interesting. lol. I know you were not insinuating that JJ should start the rest of the year. I simply addressed your comment regarding the fact you would not care if JJ started the whole season. I simply said i would mind.

Of course we trust the coaches but i would want Gus's head examined if that happened and i'm sure some others would too knowing what we know about Nick and what he has done. Fine if you want to give a politically correct answer but I have no problem with reading and comprehension and addressed the comment. It seems like you have the issue as the response wasn't that deep or serious but i guess some people need someone to fuss with. SMH.

I don't understand this logic as far as what if Johnson was the best player (hypothetically)? You would want Gus head examined? That's the quickest way to lose a football team. Everybody earns their spot at least on a year to year basis. Nobody is entitled to anything, everybody stays hungry

Anyways....

I don't understand this logic as far as what if Johnson was the best player (hypothetically)? You would want Gus head examined? That's the quickest way to lose a football team. Everybody earns their spot at least on a year to year basis. Nobody is entitled to anything, everybody stays hungry

Why make a mountain out of a molehill? lol. Plain and simple...i don't care what JJ shows in the 1st game...i want Nick as our leader and the main QB. It's been addressed by Gus so there is no issue. It was one comment...it's not that deep. If he was the best player...he'd be starting. If you feel different you're entitled to that just as i am entitled to how i feel. Let's move on. I hope that clears things up.

Anyways....

I suppose I mistook the quoted response as an attack from you, for that my apology for the msidirect.

If you want something more, the deeper reason is there.... I trust this staff. I firmly believe if the backup was substandard, or might jeopardize the game, then in my estimation another form of punishment would have been found. For I surely feel Gus wouldn't risk punishing the rest of the team for the mistake of one. That he made such a strong statement, as not starting the returning QB, SPEAKS VOLUMES to me in the trust he has for his backup. Therefore, I could care less which one starts this game, and yes the rest of the season for that matter... as long as this staff thinks it's best for the team. Brevity should not be confused with political correctness, I merely didn't wish to offer mere conjecture.

No i wasn't looking for a deeper response. Didn't think one simple sentence "I would. Everyone loves the unproven backup. I'll go with what i know." would create such a big issue. Lesson learned.

Anyways....

No i wasn't looking for a deeper response. Didn't think one simple sentence "I would. Everyone loves the unproven backup. I'll go with what i know." would create such a big issue. Lesson learned.

So let me get this straight... Nick Marshall isn't starting?

Anyways....

So let me get this straight... Nick Marshall isn't starting?

Wow

I actually think if he was killing it he should stay in. To me that's the entire point don't make mistakes that would put football in jeopardy for you. When you're in a program like ours the man behind you is just waiting for a chance. If you have a lot at stake that means you have alot to lose so make decisions knowing that in the back of your mind. You shouldn't ever want the coach to see what the man behind you can do

I've always been on the side of the fence let your best players play though. But anyway all that is just my opinion and how I approach things.

:bow:

yep - couldn't care less who starts.... "In Gus I Trust"

I apologize, FHeal.

Had a death in the family and I latched right on to homersapiens' challenge. Vulnerable moment. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

I think we're on the same page. Not that that should matter to you. ;)

:wareagle:

"Challenge"? :dunno:

Sorry for your loss, but I wasn't "challenging" anyone. I seriously don't get it.

I wonder what would even be a big problem if Jeremy started the year

Like long term I suspect, we'd just end up looking more like 2010 than 2013 with Jeremy probably the inside guy and Corey Grant being the outside run but it'd still be a lot of the same dynamics

That's also a major reason I feel CAP will get more time because he makes up for anything Marshall doesn't have (good moves and cutting, the power/bulldozing factor)

Sure is a lot of make nick sit out the whole year and start Johnson fans on here, lol. I guess gus doesn't know what he's doing huh? Smh

Well, how about naming just one who has suggested that? You'd fit right in on the political forum. :rolleyes:

yep - couldn't care less who starts.... "In Gus I Trust"

I apologize, FHeal.

Had a death in the family and I latched right on to homersapiens' challenge. Vulnerable moment. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

I think we're on the same page. Not that that should matter to you. ;)

:wareagle:

"Challenge"? :dunno:

Sorry for your loss, but I wasn't "challenging" anyone. I seriously don't get it.

Perhaps I mistook what you said about naming just one person in the thread who suggested replacing NM with JJ as a challenge. My bad.

Anyways....

Why make a mountain out of a molehill? lol. Plain and simple...i don't care what JJ shows in the 1st game...i want Nick as our leader and the main QB. It's been addressed by Gus so there is no issue. It was one comment...it's not that deep. If he was the best player...he'd be starting. If you feel different you're entitled to that just as i am entitled to how i feel. Let's move on. I hope that clears things up.

I understand I'm entitled to feel how I feel....most of the time you and I are on the same page, I think we usually agree on most things from what I can tell but dude you get too sensitive at times, you want to say how you feel but you don't want anybody saying anything back to you. This isn't a big deal, it's a simple discussion on a football forum. And I'm going to state and explain how I feel just like you.

Has this part of the thread gone to sleep from the late nite ramblings? Too much caffeine before bedtime can be one reason...... :dance:

Actually what are we supposed to be talking about in this thread? Anyway I hope Johnson is as good as Gus says and he puts up at least 21 points in the first half (if he plays that long)

If it's just a series I don't even see the point of the punishment. Running and doing extra all during the pre season would be better. The point of a punishment is to make one hesitate and think I don't want to go through that so therefore I don't want to do this

Personally I am of the opinion that it should be the whole first game. My belief is it will be the first half. I can live with that. If it should just be the first series, that would not be good IMO. We'll all find out come August 30.

If it's just a series I don't even see the point of the punishment. Running and doing extra all during the pre season would be better. The point of a punishment is to make one hesitate and think I don't want to go through that so therefore I don't want to do this

This. I'm sure Jeremy Johnson will do well enough as he's in his 2nd year under Gus and has the talent. IF for one reason or another JJ is playing off, and Gus keeps him in for a quarter or half regardless, it will make Nick realize what his actions have done to the team and hopefully keep him from ever slipping up again.

Nick in after the 1st series. JMO.

Can't see that....it's the kind of thing that NS does but I don't see Gus talking about Nick having to "pay the price" etc and then sitting him for one series.......that sure would send some kind of message to the rest of the team all right.......but not the message that Gus probably wants to send.

I guess when marijuana is legal in Georgia and Alabama in a few years this will be a non issue.

they'll still have a policy against it

Have any Colorado or Washington schools announced any changes in their policies since those states legalized it? I haven't heard.

Of course, it's still a violation of federal law and it would still seem unlikely for any school or coach to say "federal violations don't count."

Anyways....

I understand I'm entitled to feel how I feel....most of the time you and I are on the same page, I think we usually agree on most things from what I can tell but dude you get too sensitive at times, you want to say how you feel but you don't want anybody saying anything back to you. This isn't a big deal, it's a simple discussion on a football forum. And I'm going to state and explain how I feel just like you.

I wasn't the one who made one sentence into a big issue so i'm not sure why this dicussion is still going on. I'm not sensitve at all. lol. That's pretty funny b/c i do see some that are. I hardly ever post until recently so don't know where i've posted anything to be sensitive about. I don't have a problem with anyone's opinion or coming back at me at all. FHeal clearly came for me when someone else intensely misquoted what he stated. I just found that pretty interesting. I didn't drag it on...others did. Once again...let's just move on.

hopefully since Jeremy is in, we use this as an opportunity to really air the ball out, get both Williams and Coates a hundred plus

I'm not singling you out here, a bunch of posters are in the "oh boy we're gonna' air it out this year" camp and I don't understand why. There is no better way to assure winning a game than if the other team can't stop your running game and you just keep running. Quoting Darryl Royal, "When you throw the ball three things can happen and two of 'em are bad."

Agree......and as for "airing it out", I've never seen Gus proclaim that as his offensive philosophy.......seems he always says that AU will be a downhill power team.....and maybe it's just me and Mikey but JJ or Nick at QB, I still think we will mostly be a running team. The YPC may go up this year on passes, but I still expect well over 60% running plays.

I think Gus is more of a "whatever works with the talent I've got" coach. Last year, the most talent was at running back, with a running QB as well. I expect 2014 to be similar. However, he did not mind airing it out at Tulsa when he had the QB to do so, and under his tutelage Chris Todd set some passing records at Auburn. His beef with Houston Nutt at Arkansas was largely over Nutt's conservative approach to offense while Gus wanted to open it up more. (Although it's not hard to understand Nut's mindset, given that he had Darrin McFadden and Felix Jones in the backfield.) Gus may lean toward the run, but he'll air it out if that's what the defense is giving him.

One of the reasons I love CGM is because he can adjust his offense to his talent and the opposing defense. There's the old saying about great coaches: "He can take ours and beat yours, but he could take yours and beat ours". On offense, at least, I definitely believe this applies to Gus Malzahn.

Anyways....

I wasn't the one who made one sentence into a big issue so i'm not sure why this dicussion is still going on. I'm not sensitve at all. lol. That's pretty funny b/c i do see some that are. I hardly ever post until recently so don't know where i've posted anything to be sensitive about. I don't have a problem with anyone's opinion or coming back at me at all. FHeal clearly came for me when someone else intensely misquoted what he stated. I just found that pretty interesting. I didn't drag it on...others did. Once again...let's just move on.

Cool. Just through me for a loop with your reaction because I've never had any problems with you but yeah I can respect your opinion as well, just don't agree with that logic necessarily. No problem

Archived