Nick Marshall will not start against Arkansas

cptau

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see any similarities between Marshall's and Wallace's skill sets

They obviously have very different levels of ability throwing the ball; I was more getting at the quicker, shiftier style that Wallace has as compared to Johnson, who moves in more a loping manner.

However, in thinking it over, it isn't as if Arkansas won't be preparing for Marshall, anyway, because they know he'll play some, so I don't suppose there's much advantage in starting Wallace...unless, of course, Gus decides to start Wallace and JJ and run a double pass or something...lol.

Our D improving is way, WAY more important a topic against Arky than whether Nick Marshall or JJ start. Malzahn's offenses only bog down when they stop themselves and against Arky's D that's not likely to happen more than a couple times. I guess I'm interested in seeing whether JJ can run & read the option yet anywhere near as masterfully as Nick.

Our key against Arky will be not giving up BIG PLAYS on D, an area we've been really poor at for quite a while now but with our promising 2014 secondary, an area in which we're most likely to improve from 2013.

"I guess I'm interested in seeing whether JJ can run & read the option yet anywhere near as masterfully as Nick."

I dont have much to add to this thread that hasn't already been beat to death but, IMO, if JJ starts, I don't think you'll be seeing the read option like you do when NM is running the offense. Obviously, could be wrong but don't really see that as his strength and Gus has a tendency to play to his QB's strengths.

Of course our secondary can't give up big plays against arky but the key on D will be stopping the rushing game consistently and not allowing any if many 10+ play drives that keep our offense off the field and out of rhythm. I'm hoping the addition of Moncrief and Garret will greatly help out in this area.

Apparently, CRL says it may not be Jeremy Johnson either. http://www.montgomer...ansas/13605605/

I apologize but I'm on mobile so I can't quote the article.

No coach is going to name a starter in an attempt to keep Arkansas guessing.

It'll be Johnson.

Would be really funny if they started JW for the first 2 snaps on read option plays. I'd faint in the stands. The crowd and Fat Bert's reaction would be priceless.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the entire first series went to Wallace, quite honestly, just to screw with 'em. JJ is heads and shoulders above JW, and I don't see White playing this season (barring a rash of injuries, knock on wood), but the similarity to Marshall's skill set could mess up the Hogs' defensive rhythm...plus giving Wallace's status on the team and the respect he has amongst the rest of the players, I almost think it would be fitting to let him start the first game of the season. :dunno:

Wallace is a great kid but White would play before Wallace in the opener.

Our D improving is way, WAY more important a topic against Arky than whether Nick Marshall or JJ start. Malzahn's offenses only bog down when they stop themselves and against Arky's D that's not likely to happen more than a couple times. I guess I'm interested in seeing whether JJ can run & read the option yet anywhere near as masterfully as Nick.

Our key against Arky will be not giving up BIG PLAYS on D, an area we've been really poor at for quite a while now but with our promising 2014 secondary, an area in which we're most likely to improve from 2013.

Canuck, I believe this qualifies as unbridled optimism coming from you! :poke:

Archived