Nick Marshall will not start against Arkansas

cptau

Ummmmmmmm. Gus has said NM is the starter, even though JJ will start this game. He also said NM will play in this game. Soooooooo, where exactly is this confusion coming from? Lol.

I understand what you're saying, but your choice of phrasing is sort of contradictory, you can't be the starter and then have someone else start. Also, Malzahn stated several times he hasn't worked out how long Jeremy will be in, so that's where the clamoring amongst the fanbase comes from.

It's not contradictory. It is very clear. JJ is starting game 1 but NM is still our starting qb. Barring unforseen circumstances NM will resume his starting qb role after game 1. It's really not confusing or contradictory.

Nick will play against arky. He just won't start.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And how many conference games did we win in 2012?

You do realize that we changed coaches after 2012, don't you? And that Arkansas didn't change coaches after last year? I'm seriously not positive that you understand that, so I just want to make sure:

-Bert coached Arkansas to 3-9 and 0-8 last year, including losing to USC and bama by a combined score of 104-7- a low that even the 2012 Auburn Tigers couldn't manage to stoop to.

-Bert is still the coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

-Gene Chizik coached Auburn to 3-9 and 0-8 in 2012.

-Gene Chizik is no longer the coach of the Auburn Tigers.

-Now our coach is Gus Malzahn. He was 13 seconds away from winning the national championship in his first season. He did not go 3-9 and 0-8, and he did not lose consecutive games to USC and bama by a combined score of 104-7.

-Gus Malzahn beat the coach who did do that 35-17 in their mutual first season (which was admittedly a disappointing result, even though the game was in Fayetteville, the swine were coming off of their bye week and we only attempted nine passes).

I suppose discussing facts which point to the vast superiority of our team instead of spouting vague, negative misperceptions is akin to yelling R*** T*** in your book- and the dueling banjos coming from your corner of the web are starting to creep me out- so I'll show myself the door on this thread before you rustle up a posse with O&B pitchforks to come after me. Before I do, though, I'll circle back to the point of the thread with an outsider's perspective on Marshall's punishment (SIAP):

Malzahn was put in a tough public relations position by being so lead footed with the punishment and subsequent commentary on the McNeal situation, and in the world of hyperbolic social media reaction, any two things with the same words in it are destined to be demanded that they’re treated the exact same.

Maybe this will end up teaching Marshall a lesson … especially if Arkansas ends up winning … or maybe it won’t and we’re down this fox hole in the future. But life isn’t black and white and you can’t always successfully streamline punishment.

Malzahn did what he thought was right, and that should be good enough. He’s in the locker room. The rest of us aren’t. What Malzahn has demonstrated that is consistent is that punished or not, the guy is invested in the future of players be they on the team or removed from it, and in the end, that’s probably the more important lesson here.

http://bloguin.com/t...punishment.html

Some folks will argue that the world isn't round I guess. Barring injury or unforeseen circumstance, NM will be playing against Arky. Period. Doesn't matter if JJ has a "hot hand" or not. I question the common sense of some of my AU brethren at times. Does anyone really think Gus isn't going to play Nick? Really??

No. But then no one has said that, have they?

And how many conference games did we win in 2012?

You do realize that we changed coaches after 2012, don't you? And that Arkansas didn't change coaches after last year? I'm seriously not positive that you understand that, so I just want to make sure:

-Bert coached Arkansas to 3-9 and 0-8 last year, including losing to USC and bama by a combined score of 104-7- a low that even the 2012 Auburn Tigers couldn't manage to stoop to.

-Bert is still the coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

-Gene Chizik coached Auburn to 3-9 and 0-8 in 2012.

-Gene Chizik is no longer the coach of the Auburn Tigers.

-Now our coach is Gus Malzahn. He was 13 seconds away from winning the national championship in his first season. He did not go 3-9 and 0-8, and he did not lose consecutive games to USC and bama by a combined score of 104-7.

-Gus Malzahn beat the coach who did do that 35-17 in their mutual first season (which was admittedly a disappointing result, even though the game was in Fayetteville, the swine were coming off of their bye week and we only attempted nine passes).

I suppose discussing facts which point to the vast superiority of our team instead of spouting vague, negative misperceptions is akin to yelling R*** T*** in your book- and the dueling banjos coming from your corner of the web are starting to creep me out- so I'll show myself the door on this thread before you rustle up a posse with O&B pitchforks to come after me. Before I do, though, I'll circle back to the point of the thread with an outsider's perspective on Marshall's punishment (SIAP):

You don't get it doofus. I am not trying to convince anyone that Arkansas is a better team than we are or even that they are likely to beat us. And I am certainly not interested in a technical analysis of why we are probably a much better team. I think we will win, but hopefully it won't take an onside kick at the end of the game to do so.

I am talking about taking a flippant attitude about them, as if the outcome is a foregone conclusion. Showing casual disrespect for your opponents is Bammerish. Saying we won't know how JJ can play against a "good opponent" is disrespectful.

Now maybe that comment just rubbed me the wrong way and I am making too much of it, but hey, that's my reaction and my opinion.

If that's "being childish", especially for "someone of my age" then I guess I'll plead guilty. But at least that's better than being some young a-hole with his head up his butt.

Some folks will argue that the world isn't round I guess. Barring injury or unforeseen circumstance, NM will be playing against Arky. Period. Doesn't matter if JJ has a "hot hand" or not. I question the common sense of some of my AU brethren at times. Does anyone really think Gus isn't going to play Nick? Really??

I have read several comments in this thread were someone has either said they thought Nick should be benched for the entire game or that he should continue to play JJ "if he has the hot hand". So yes.

I have read several comments in this thread were someone has either said they thought Nick should be benched for the entire game or that he should continue to play JJ "if he has the hot hand". So yes.

Saying it should happen is not exactly the same as saying it's going to happen. See the difference?

I don't think it's going to happen but if JJ was awesome like that western Carolina game hot I would play him the entire game. Now I don't think it's going to happen but that's what I'll do unless we blew them out out then I'd play Nick.

Children, children... Summa Donna!

And to believe I got a thread locked last week about Kozan when I linked a non-premium article.

And to believe I got a thread locked last week about Kozan when I linked a non-premium article.

Maybe you should link another so we can lock this thread

Maybe you should link another so we can lock this thread

:clap:

Saying it should happen is not exactly the same as saying it's going to happen. See the difference?

This. And I'm not even 100% sure it should happen but it's at least worth the discussion.

Yep, got it I think. Nick should play against Arky and Gus said it is going to happen. :)

Apparently, CRL says it may not be Jeremy Johnson either. http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/auburn/2014/08/04/way-way-far-name-jeremy-johnson-auburn-starting-quarterback-opener-arkansas/13605605/

I apologize but I'm on mobile so I can't quote the article.

Apparently, CRL says it may not be Jeremy Johnson either. http://www.montgomer...ansas/13605605/

No coach is going to name a starter in an attempt to keep Arkansas guessing.

It'll be Johnson.

Would be really funny if they started JW for the first 2 snaps on read option plays. I'd faint in the stands. The crowd and Fat Bert's reaction would be priceless.

Apparently, CRL says it may not be Jeremy Johnson either. http://www.montgomer...ansas/13605605/

It'll be Johnson.

I knew that. I just thought I'd pass it along.

My point exactly. We mess with each other but let somebody outside the house try to come in and it is bad for them.

Well, well, well, congrats to Gus for not sweeping it completely under the carpet. I would like to have seen an entire game, but this is better than nothing.

Hope it's not like Jeff Burger's deal where Slack took the first snap then Burger ran onto the field, lol.

I've not read anything but the first page of comments, but my father mentioned Burger's "punishment" yesterday when we were talking about these issues, and I'm in full agreement that I do NOT want to see that happen.

However, I like that Gus left the door open for them to play, because if the unexpected happens and Arky come in on fire, then he doesn't need the stigma of going back on his word (like Saban did with...DJ Hall, I think...aginst LA-Monroe his first year in T-town) in order to keep from losing, but at the same time, he issues a clear and definitive punishment. I'd like to see each of them out for AT LEAST a quarter, but more probably for the first half and then let both reclaim their starting positions in the second half regardless of what the score looks like. Makes the statement even more clear that he had a set punishment, he just wasn't going to go public with it.

It'll be Johnson.

Would be really funny if they started JW for the first 2 snaps on read option plays. I'd faint in the stands. The crowd and Fat Bert's reaction would be priceless.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the entire first series went to Wallace, quite honestly, just to screw with 'em. JJ is heads and shoulders above JW, and I don't see White playing this season (barring a rash of injuries, knock on wood), but the similarity to Marshall's skill set could mess up the Hogs' defensive rhythm...plus giving Wallace's status on the team and the respect he has amongst the rest of the players, I almost think it would be fitting to let him start the first game of the season. :dunno:

Suspend Marshall for a quarter and defer the ball if we can. Maybe Marshall can get suspended in the fourth when we are up big. I'm all for discipline :)

Archived