Nick Marshall will not start against Arkansas

cptau

So, will this be a Reggie Slack , under centre, taking a quick knee, then giving way to Jeff Berger sort of non-start punishment ?

I know Gus has more integrity than that. Prob at least a quarter. .

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even asking a hypothetical question like JJ taking completely over the reins is funny to me. Let's see, we have a starting QB returning-one of the few in the conference- and one that led us to the title game last season. There is no way he's replaced just because the back up "has a hot hand". C'mon guys.

Even asking a hypothetical question like JJ taking completely over the reins is funny to me. Let's see, we have a starting QB returning-one of the few in the conference- and one that led us to the title game last season. There is no way he's replaced just because the back up "has a hot hand". C'mon guys.

I am not talking about the season, I am talking about that particular game. If JJ started and went wild, I wouldn't take him out until the game was in the bag.

Personally, I hope Marshall sits the entire game. Not necessarily because I think he needs that much punishment but mostly because of what "Pig Boy" said at SEC Media days about Gus will play Marshall. I hope JJ shreds the porkers and there's no need for Marshall to even break a sweat in that game. Gosh, I really don't like Pig Boy.

Personally, I hope Marshall sits the entire game. Not necessarily because I think he needs that much punishment but mostly because of what "Pig Boy" said at SEC Media days about Gus will play Marshall. I hope JJ shreds the porkers and there's no need for Marshall to even break a sweat in that game. Gosh, I really don't like Pig Boy.

Actually, I am with you. The worst outcome of that would be hurting his stats for the year.

Actually, I am with you. The worst outcome of that would be hurting his stats for the year.

Sounds like letting Bert dictate who plays. I'd never do that. I'd play it just like Gus -- decide for yourself who plays and when.

Well, well, well, congrats to Gus for not sweeping it completely under the carpet. I would like to have seen an entire game, but this is better than nothing.

Hope it's not like Jeff Burger's deal where Slack took the first snap then Burger ran onto the field, lol.

I was just thinking the same thing.

Didn't catch Arkie's day up on the mic. What did he say?

He said something along the lines that he had no doubt that Gus would play Marshall......no direct quote.

Am I the only one that thinks replacing Mincy with Holsey isn't much of a drop off? (If that's what they do of course)

I think Hosely is better than Mincy.

I think, knowing what I know as a head coach, he’ll be there {MARSHALL},” Bielema said Wednesday during SEC Media Days at the Hyatt Regency in Hoover. “We want to play against the best and I’m sure he’ll be there.

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/secmediadays/article_37995b3a-0d29-11e4-8177-001a4bcf6878.html

I couldn't care less what a coach at another school has to say. They don't make the decisions concerning the Auburn program, nor do they have all the facts surrounding any of the situations. Pig Boy is going to have to learn the hard way that its better to just keep your mouth shut. I want Marshall to miss the opening snap on offense then come on the field, or perhaps the opening offensive series then come on the field. That being said if Johnson comes in and plays the whole game and we drop 60 on the pigs, I won't be disappointed. One thing to remember, Malzahn is running the Auburn football program, not pig boy. What other coaches think means nothing.

hopefully since Jeremy is in, we use this as an opportunity to really air the ball out, get both Williams and Coates a hundred plus

I'm not singling you out here, a bunch of posters are in the "oh boy we're gonna' air it out this year" camp and I don't understand why. There is no better way to assure winning a game than if the other team can't stop your running game and you just keep running. Quoting Darryl Royal, "When you throw the ball three things can happen and two of 'em are bad."

hopefully since Jeremy is in, we use this as an opportunity to really air the ball out, get both Williams and Coates a hundred plus

I'm not singling you out here, a bunch of posters are in the "oh boy we're gonna' air it out this year" camp and I don't understand why. There is no better way to assure winning a game than if the other team can't stop your running game and you just keep running. Quoting Darryl Royal, "When you throw the ball three things can happen and two of 'em are bad."

Agree......and as for "airing it out", I've never seen Gus proclaim that as his offensive philosophy.......seems he always says that AU will be a downhill power team.....and maybe it's just me and Mikey but JJ or Nick at QB, I still think we will mostly be a running team. The YPC may go up this year on passes, but I still expect well over 60% running plays.

Agree......and as for "airing it out", I've never seen Gus proclaim that as his offensive philosophy.......seems he always says that AU will be a downhill power team.....and maybe it's just me and Mikey but JJ or Nick at QB, I still think we will mostly be a running team. The YPC may go up this year on passes, but I still expect well over 60% running plays.

My guess is 60% run is the floor, as well.

I don't think I'v ever seen a more beautiful offense than we ran last season.

Gus and Rhette say that we are looking to go more balanced than last season. We have the weapons at WR to do it as well. Being more balanced and making the D take the passing game into consideration will open up the zone-read game more. If they stack the box to shut down the zone read, then you will have Coats and/or Duke open.

I'm not saying change the offense the whole year, I'm saying Johnson probably won't have many other opportunities to start this year, and I'd like if his first and maybe only one was used for airing it out. We're gonna win either way, but I'd like a game where we statpad, at least once.

Sounds like letting Bert dictate who plays. I'd never do that. I'd play it just like Gus -- decide for yourself who plays and when.

No, nothing to do with that at all.

IMO sitting for a half, much less a series, is nothing more than a slap on the wrist. But I understand many disagree, so let's please not start that thread again. ;D

Well, well, well, congrats to Gus for not sweeping it completely under the carpet. I would like to have seen an entire game, but this is better than nothing.

Hope it's not like Jeff Burger's deal where Slack took the first snap then Burger ran onto the field, lol.

I hope it is one snap. Marshall's violation was miniscule. I would have made him run a few stadiums and that be the end of it, but Gus gets the big bucks to make that call.

I think it's kind of common sense that you need to make a statement here and with Mincy to minimize the chance of having multiple arrests next off season.

You have a valid point, but our opinions differ. I don't believe in making one kid's punishment exceed the crime just to impress others.

I don't believe in that either. That's not what's happening here. It is obvious that the coach has leeway to use his own judgment in doling get out punishments. Every situation is different and should be evaluated for determining proper punishment. It's not singling a kid out for excessive punishment, it's setting the bar for future offenders as a deterrent.

The minimum punishments are there to make certain at least a certain level of punishment is received regardless of the coach.

Some punishment differs because the potential in each person differs. Sometimes you're harder on certain individuals because you expect more from them

Some punishment differs because the potential in each person differs. Sometimes you're harder on certain individuals because you expect more from them

Agreed. Punishment should be used to modify behavior, and different people respond differently to stimuli. But there are some who'll argue that's not fair.

Archived