Nick Marshall will not start against Arkansas

cptau

Oh, sorry -- I missed FHeal saying he couldn't care less if JJ started the whole season.

Anyways....

Obviously, reading comprehension escapes WE'83 .... saying what ever Gus choose's, is a far cry from calling for a replacement.

I didn't accuse you of making that statement of calling for a replacement. AUbritt did...but yet you come from me. Interesting. lol. I know you were not insinuating that JJ should start the rest of the year. I simply addressed your comment regarding the fact you would not care if JJ started the whole season. I simply said i would mind.

Of course we trust the coaches but i would want Gus's head examined if that happened and i'm sure some others would too knowing what we know about Nick and what he has done. Fine if you want to give a politically correct answer but I have no problem with reading and comprehension and addressed the comment. It seems like you have the issue as the response wasn't that deep or serious but i guess some people need someone to fuss with. SMH.

I don't understand this logic as far as what if Johnson was the best player (hypothetically)? You would want Gus head examined? That's the quickest way to lose a football team. Everybody earns their spot at least on a year to year basis. Nobody is entitled to anything, everybody stays hungry

Why make a mountain out of a molehill? lol. Plain and simple...i don't care what JJ shows in the 1st game...i want Nick as our leader and the main QB. It's been addressed by Gus so there is no issue. It was one comment...it's not that deep. If he was the best player...he'd be starting. If you feel different you're entitled to that just as i am entitled to how i feel. Let's move on. I hope that clears things up.

I understand I'm entitled to feel how I feel....most of the time you and I are on the same page, I think we usually agree on most things from what I can tell but dude you get too sensitive at times, you want to say how you feel but you don't want anybody saying anything back to you. This isn't a big deal, it's a simple discussion on a football forum. And I'm going to state and explain how I feel just like you.

I wasn't the one who made one sentence into a big issue so i'm not sure why this dicussion is still going on. I'm not sensitve at all. lol. That's pretty funny b/c i do see some that are. I hardly ever post until recently so don't know where i've posted anything to be sensitive about. I don't have a problem with anyone's opinion or coming back at me at all. FHeal clearly came for me when someone else intensely misquoted what he stated. I just found that pretty interesting. I didn't drag it on...others did. Once again...let's just move on.

Cool. Just through me for a loop with your reaction because I've never had any problems with you but yeah I can respect your opinion as well, just don't agree with that logic necessarily. No problem

All good bro. WDE! :cheers:

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to think of a scenario....what if Malzahn puts Marshall in garbage time?

A vice versa of what was projected to happen just a month ago? Marshall will still end up with most of the time as Jeremy will be unstopable.

I think he sits 1st Quarter

I think this would send a bit better message....what do you do if JJ is lighting it up and has us up by 3 scores at the end of 1 Qtr?

Well, well, well, congrats to Gus for not sweeping it completely under the carpet. I would like to have seen an entire game, but this is better than nothing.

Hope it's not like Jeff Burger's deal where Slack took the first snap then Burger ran onto the field, lol.

Exactly what I was thinking.

It's probably just going to be based on how we are playing. Gus is smart enough to know not to tip his hand too much. Leaving it as "Nick won't start" leaves him the flexibility to put him in whenever he chooses. If JJ comes out guns blazing and our offense is clicking, he wont play. If JJ starts struggling or we're in a tight game/losing, Nick will come in. Don't think this needs to be more difficult than it really is.

I hope the length of the benching has been predetermined and relayed to both players. I think it sends a bad message to players if you bench a guy but then bring him in the second things start going bad.

It's probably just going to be based on how we are playing. Gus is smart enough to know not to tip his hand too much. Leaving it as "Nick won't start" leaves him the flexibility to put him in whenever he chooses. If JJ comes out guns blazing and our offense is clicking, he wont play. If JJ starts struggling or we're in a tight game/losing, Nick will come in. Don't think this needs to be more difficult than it really is.

^ This ^

Gus not announcing exactly when he will put Nick in does a few things.

1: It forces Arkansas to prepare for both NM and JJ, as they don't know if NM will sit for plays, series, quarters, or even the entire game. The fact of the matter is that our offense WILL look different with JJ running the show than it will with NM running the show. They are very different QBs.

2: I don't know if Gus has told NM when he'll be coming back in or if he will tell him when he's planning to put him back in. Not telling Nick may make the time he sits out more of a punishment, as he has to sit there thinking "Okay, maybe after this play!... nope, okay, maybe after this series!...etc." while he has to watch his team play without him. Gus will have to give him a little time to warm up, but that could be one solution to make his suspension time seem longer.

3: One strategic thing that Gus could do is use JJ's passing ability and power to gash Arky's defense through the air. Then, if/when they start to catch on and slow it down a little, swap QBs and have NM run circles around their defense with the read option.

I hope the length of the benching has been predetermined and relayed to both players. I think it sends a bad message to players if you bench a guy but then bring him in the second things start going bad.

I would absolutely think the team knows when Nick is coming in. Gus isn't a fly by the seat of his pants kinda guy.

If JJ gets hot, look for him to stay in and finish the game. Also, I'm positive that Gus had additional punishment other than not starting the first game.

If JJ is getting the job done, why pull him?

Because you have the pre-season 1st team All-SEC quarterback sitting on the bench. One of the few returning starters in the league and one that happened to take you to the National title game last year. JJ can absolutely "get the job done" but that doesn't mean you leave your possible Heisman candidate holding a clipboard. JJ starts the game, but there is no scenario in which Nick doesn't come in and resume his role in my opinion.

If JJ is getting the job done, why pull him?

Because you have the pre-season 1st team All-SEC quarterback sitting on the bench. One of the few returning starters in the league and one that happened to take you to the National title game last year. JJ can absolutely "get the job done" but that doesn't mean you leave your possible Heisman candidate holding a clipboard. JJ starts the game, but there is no scenario in which Nick doesn't come in and resume his role in my opinion.

I highly doubt Gus will be factoring in which QB has won the most preseason accolades. NM did an incredible job last season but I'm talking about the first game of this season.

I'm partly playing devil's advocate here and partly speaking as a coach. Play the hot hand. Drew Bledsoe and Tom Brady ring a bell?

Just wanted to add that, at this point, I think NM is the best all-around QB we have. I'm not questioning his ability at all. I just think a lot of y'all are too quick to dismiss the idea of JJ staying in due to stellar performance because that isn't the way its "supposed to be". Nick is our starter and that's final. If JJ is lighting them up ,why mess with that? Because he isn't "supposed" to be the one who leads us to victory? Nonsense.

Just wanted to add that, at this point, I think NM is the best all-around QB we have. I'm not questioning his ability at all. I just think a lot of y'all are too quick to dismiss the idea of JJ staying in due to stellar performance because that isn't the way its "supposed to be". Nick is our starter and that's final. If JJ is lighting them up ,why mess with that? Because he isn't "supposed" to be the one who leads us to victory? Nonsense.

IMHO (and I'm not a head football coach), it depends on how much we are up by when Gus makes the decision that NM's suspension is up. If it's close, but JJ is lighting them up, I'd leave JJ in. If we're up by a TD or more, put NM in. It would show that he is the leader and it would show Gus's confidence in NM. Now, if he can't do anything, by all means, put JJ back in. But NM needs to be the unquestioned leader of that offense.

Even if JJ lights it up against Arkansas, we still won't have any idea what he's capable of against a good football team.

"against a good football team"? :dunno:

Arkansas is a conference game. They've been good enough to beat us more often than not over recent history. No offense intended, but that sounds like something a bammer might say. :rolleyes:

I'm with you chimes. We don't know if Gus was specific about what he was going to do other than starting JJ, but if he is playing well enough to beat Arkansas, I wouldn't put Nick in until the 4th quarter, if at all.

That doesn't mean Nick shouldn't start the rest of the season

I think Nick should just be benched the rest of the season. What better way to show the rest of the team that Gus doesn't play around? This way our team knows not to mess around with the law! Who's with me? Bench Nick for the rest of the season for tented windows and weed residue! That'll show everyone! Right?

On a serious note, I like this move by CGM. It shows Nick and the rest of the team that this staff doesn't play around like the previous staff. Let JJ play as long as he can and if we need Nick bring him in.

.....On a serious note, I like this move by CGM. It shows Nick and the rest of the team that this staff doesn't play around like the previous staff. Let JJ play as long as he can and if we need Nick bring him in.

Hey, I figure the worst that can happen is our second team players might start planting joints in the first team's cars. :laugh:

Nothing wrong with a little competition - on or off the field. ;)

Even if JJ lights it up against Arkansas, we still won't have any idea what he's capable of against a good football team.

"against a good football team"? :dunno:/>

Arkansas is a conference game. They've been good enough to beat us more often than not over recent history. No offense intended, but that sounds like something a bammer might say. :rolleyes:/>

Not a single thing in your response suggests in any way that the 2014 Arkansas Razorbacks are a good football team, not would any rational analysis of the current state of their program.

And, all due respect, it is mind-numbingly illogical to suggest that past games between different staffs on both sides should be a predictor of this year's result. I believe "roll my eyes" is the emoticon you selected? Sure, that works.

"against a good football team"? :dunno:/>

Arkansas is a conference game. They've been good enough to beat us more often than not over recent history. No offense intended, but that sounds like something a bammer might say. :rolleyes:/>

Not a single thing in your response suggests in any way that the 2014 Arkansas Razorbacks are a good football team, not would any rational analysis of the current state of their program.

And, all due respect, it is mind-numbingly illogical to suggest that past games between different staffs on both sides should be a predictor of this year's result. I believe "roll my eyes" is the emoticon you selected? Sure, that works.

Apparently you didn't attend the WSU game last year. :rolleyes:

(And you still sound like a bammer, only a much more immature one than I first assumed.)

We will beat Arky with either JJ or Nick, it is what it is. If that is "Bammerish" then so be it. It's still the truth.

I think Nick should just be benched the rest of the season. What better way to show the rest of the team that Gus doesn't play around? This way our team knows not to mess around with the law! Who's with me? Bench Nick for the rest of the season for tented windows... <snip>.

Yes, I am all for sitting any player stupid enough to drive around with a tent over their windows., (Wonder if it was a Coleman, or something better?) ;D

Archived