Nick Marshall will not start against Arkansas

cptau

Welp...pretty sure what this means now....

Instead we will now get to see Johnson carve Bert's secondary into Zeigler links with 3 first half TD passes.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thinking back on last year we had some bad things (we thought were bad) lost some key players due to problems and due to the way the year before played out and some how these guys pulled together and made the run of a lifetime Maybe all that happened this summer and today will cause this team to come together again. I am betting they will. WDE

Be kind of interesting if JJ went on a tear and just started shredding Arky.

MMmmmmm, shredded pork.

with some sweet baby ray's, mmmmm delish!

Like i said before doesn't matter who starts arky wont be ready for either, remember when johnny foosball got suspended for the first half and how that turned out, know it'll be better for nick

I could also easily see Marshall sitting the whole game and CGM phrased it that he "would not start" just so arky will have to prepare for two different quarterbacks....

Seems like a good solution to me.

As has been reported several places, it would be within AU policy to treat their busts no different than a first failed drug test: Off-field counseling and punishment, but no loss of playing time.

But I'm glad CGM went a little further. First of all, to be caught in possession by the police brings much more media attention than a failed test, and so embarrasses the school and the team more. Also, this sends a clear signal on Gus's part: "If I'm willing to bench our starting QB and one of our best defenders, then no one is going to get any special treatment and EVERYONE will be held accountable for their actions!" I am glad, however, he did not suspend them for an entire game. By AU policy he didn't have to, and IF we did need them it wouldn't seem fair to the rest of the team if they took a loss due to their absence, given the policy. At least he didn't pull a "Saban" and announce a game suspension, then run them in the second half just because we were losing!

Ideally we won't need them. It will be good for JJ to get some playing time behind center, but he's more of a passer. And since I'm hoping for/expecting greater production in the passing game this season, it might be good for Coats and D. Williams to get a lot of work the first half. I'd like to see both Nick and Jonathon gets some reps in the second half though. They both need to get into playing rhythm for the season and it would be good if they could get those "1st game jitters" out of their system against some hapless Hogs.

Hate it about Kozan, but I hope everyone's confidence in our depth is well placed. We may have talent equal to his among the youngsters, but it will be hard to replace his experience. I was counting on him and Reese Dismukes to be steadying figures for the young guys, especially early in the season.

I think the majority expected this kind of punishment for Marshall and Mincy. No big deal at all IMO...it's not like the game is next week or their replacements are a drop off in talent. Now you add that with a month to physically and emotionally prepare for your day on the big stage. The reality is we all know of opportunities or situations like these that can cause major changes to take affect.

Now, what if JJ leads team to big lead, does that mean he will stay in the entire game and Marshall will have to wait another week? Personally, I don't see much of a drop-off with Holsey starting. As for Kozan being out the entire year, I hate that happened.

I like JJ, too; but anyone asking whether he'll play the whole game or take over as the starter if he plays well is nuts.

JJ will start against Arkansas.

JJ will "have a role" in the offense this season -- presumably a larger role than he played last year.

NM is our starting QB, however. And there is absolutely no indication that JJ will play the entire game against Arkansas. Some folks just love a QB controversy, I guess.

My $.02 - both sit the opening drive - Mincy possibly longer given he was arrested. Personally, I don't think Marshall should have to sit, but this will send a good message.

Well, well, well, congrats to Gus for not sweeping it completely under the carpet. I would like to have seen an entire game, but this is better than nothing.

Hope it's not like Jeff Burger's deal where Slack took the first snap then Burger ran onto the field, lol.

I hope it is one snap. Marshall's violation was miniscule. I would have made him run a few stadiums and that be the end of it, but Gus gets the big bucks to make that call.

Well, well, well, congrats to Gus for not sweeping it completely under the carpet. I would like to have seen an entire game, but this is better than nothing.

Hope it's not like Jeff Burger's deal where Slack took the first snap then Burger ran onto the field, lol.

I hope it is one snap. Marshall's violation was miniscule. I would have made him run a few stadiums and that be the end of it, but Gus gets the big bucks to make that call.

I think it's kind of common sense that you need to make a statement here and with Mincy to minimize the chance of having multiple arrests next off season.

I think it's kind of common sense that you need to make a statement here and with Mincy to minimize the chance of having multiple arrests next off season.

You have a valid point, but our opinions differ. I don't believe in making one kid's punishment exceed the crime just to impress others.

I think both players sit the first series, regardless of the results, and then take the field. First half at most.

If I had to bet money, I'd bet on the first series too.

I think both players sit the first series, regardless of the results, and then take the field. First half at most.

If I had to bet money, I'd bet on the first series too.

So would I.

Clear that they will play in the game; my presumption is that they both will sit the first half.

Agree. Possibly play the 1st half depending on how the offense is doing. JJ is going to need to get off to a fast start.

If JJ is doing a good job, Marshall may only get some package plays and JJ run the show for the majority of the game. It would be good experience for JJ bt if close at halftime, I expect Marshall to be the leader the second half.

Even if JJ does good I think Marshall will still take the majority of snaps. The coaches will probably want to get the offense in rhythm early in the season since we'll have to play a good team by game 3.

Agree and i hope so. I know there has been a lot of talk of JJ and "NFL QB" etc. I think JJ will be good but I want the QB that led us to the NC game to play as soon as Gus feels he has served is punishment. It's no knock on JJ but I know what Nick can do and he's our leader. JJ will get his reps this year but we have a golden opportunity to get back to the NC game and if we're going to get there a big part of it will be b/c of Nick. We're going to be losing alot of players after the season and JJ will get to show what he's really made of in 2015.

Not to sweat it....

.... but couldn't careless if Gus was to sit NM for the whole year and went with JJ from the git go. He's the man in charge and I'm just along for the ride.

Be kind of interesting if JJ went on a tear and just started shredding Arky.

Would it be interesting or expected?

No one would "expect" it, but it's certainly within the realm of possibility.

But if it happened, would you take him out as early as you planned to? I don't see Gus - or any coach - taking out a QB with a hot hand.

Archived