Nick Marshall will not start against Arkansas

cptau

Sure is a lot of make nick sit out the whole year and start Johnson fans on here, lol. I guess gus doesn't know what he's doing huh? Smh

Same folks will be calling for Sean White to replace JJ next year.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure is a lot of make nick sit out the whole year and start Johnson fans on here, lol. I guess gus doesn't know what he's doing huh? Smh

Well, how about naming just one who has suggested that? You'd fit right in on the political forum. :rolleyes:

I would but, don't want to hurt no feelings but I'll give u some advice, just go back and start reading everyone's post and u will find your answer. Not knocking anyone but jj will get his day once Nick leaves, period.

Same folks will be calling for Sean White to replace JJ next year.

yep

I didn't see any posts where anybody said Nick should sit the entire year. I know not alot, I hope we don't do like last year and people start arguing just because someone says something good about their favorite players back up

I didn't see any posts where anybody said Nick should sit the entire year. I know not alot, I hope we don't do like last year and people start arguing just because someone says something good about their favorite players back up

You're correct. No one in this thread suggested Nick should sit for the entire year. However, many people did raise the possibility of letting JJ play the entire game against Arky or leaving him in while he remains hot. What if he stays in the entire game and kills Arky? He's still hot, right?

It comes off as trending toward generating a QB controversy where none exists, IMO.

I am glad we have JJ as our backup QB. I suspect he'll be the presumptive starter next season (though some will be clamoring for Sean White). But barring injury or another slip from Nick, Nick is and should be our QB. And he should enter the Arky game when Gus decides he should.

I actually think if he was killing it he should stay in. To me that's the entire point don't make mistakes that would put football in jeopardy for you. When you're in a program like ours the man behind you is just waiting for a chance. If you have a lot at stake that means you have alot to lose so make decisions knowing that in the back of your mind. You shouldn't ever want the coach to see what the man behind you can do

I've always been on the side of the fence let your best players play though. But anyway all that is just my opinion and how I approach things.

hopefully since Jeremy is in, we use this as an opportunity to really air the ball out, get both Williams and Coates a hundred plus

I'm not singling you out here, a bunch of posters are in the "oh boy we're gonna' air it out this year" camp and I don't understand why. There is no better way to assure winning a game than if the other team can't stop your running game and you just keep running. Quoting Darryl Royal, "When you throw the ball three things can happen and two of 'em are bad."

Agree......and as for "airing it out", I've never seen Gus proclaim that as his offensive philosophy.......seems he always says that AU will be a downhill power team.....and maybe it's just me and Mikey but JJ or Nick at QB, I still think we will mostly be a running team. The YPC may go up this year on passes, but I still expect well over 60% running plays.

My guess is 60% run is the floor, as well.

I don't think I'v ever seen a more beautiful offense than we ran last season.

absolutely! !! Love the Bus

I think what is more important is what happens behind the scenes with these two players. How the what we will never know parts with their punishments go.

My grandfather use to say there is a difference between discipline and punishment even though most define them the same.

Look at Georgia, they are good at dishing out punishment in the 1 game suspension variety, but that has yet to slow down their yearly arrests.

I guess when marijuana is legal in Georgia and Alabama in a few years this will be a non issue.

they'll still have a policy against it

I guess when marijuana is legal in Georgia and Alabama in a few years this will be a non issue.

they'll still have a policy against it

Will vary between offseason and during season I'd think. Suspect it will work pretty much like underage drinking.

You're correct. No one in this thread suggested Nick should sit for the entire year. However, many people did raise the possibility of letting JJ play the entire game against Arky or leaving him in while he remains hot. What if he stays in the entire game and kills Arky? He's still hot, right?

It comes off as trending toward generating a QB controversy where none exists, IMO.

I am glad we have JJ as our backup QB. I suspect he'll be the presumptive starter next season (though some will be clamoring for Sean White). But barring injury or another slip from Nick, Nick is and should be our QB. And he should enter the Arky game when Gus decides he should.

Agree wholeheartedly. I also think that it is in Auburn's best interest looking to the future, that JJ get some real game experience. And I can't think of a better game to do that in than Ark. I think he's good enough to beat Ark if he has to go the whole game. And there could be a time coming when we have to count on him going a whole game. Also that game is liable to be a phusical one, with people getting banged up quite a bit. Might be best to conserve our 1st string QG for a while if we can.

Clear that they will play in the game; my presumption is that they both will sit the first half.

Agree. Possibly play the 1st half depending on how the offense is doing. JJ is going to need to get off to a fast start.

If JJ is doing a good job, Marshall may only get some package plays and JJ run the show for the majority of the game. It would be good experience for JJ bt if close at halftime, I expect Marshall to be the leader the second half.

Even if JJ does good I think Marshall will still take the majority of snaps. The coaches will probably want to get the offense in rhythm early in the season since we'll have to play a good team by game 3.

Agree and i hope so. I know there has been a lot of talk of JJ and "NFL QB" etc. I think JJ will be good but I want the QB that led us to the NC game to play as soon as Gus feels he has served is punishment. It's no knock on JJ but I know what Nick can do and he's our leader. JJ will get his reps this year but we have a golden opportunity to get back to the NC game and if we're going to get there a big part of it will be b/c of Nick. We're going to be losing alot of players after the season and JJ will get to show what he's really made of in 2015.

Not to sweat it....

.... but couldn't careless if Gus was to sit NM for the whole year and went with JJ from the git go. He's the man in charge and I'm just along for the ride.

I would. Everyone loves the unproven backup. I'll go with what i know.

Even asking a hypothetical question like JJ taking completely over the reins is funny to me. Let's see, we have a starting QB returning-one of the few in the conference- and one that led us to the title game last season. There is no way he's replaced just because the back up "has a hot hand". C'mon guys.

Exactly.

Oh, sorry -- I missed FHeal saying he couldn't care less if JJ started the whole season.

Anyways....

Obviously, reading comprehension escapes WE'83 .... saying what ever Gus choose's, is a far cry from calling for a replacement.

Oh, sorry -- I missed FHeal saying he couldn't care less if JJ started the whole season.

Anyways....

Obviously, reading comprehension escapes him .... saying what ever Gus choose's, is a far cry from calling for a replacement.

Yep. What did you just write?

What you wrote before is there for everyone to see. Yes, you said you were just along for the ride. But you also said you couldn't care less if JJ started all season in place of Nick.

Did I get that right, FHeal?

yep - couldn't care less who starts.... "In Gus I Trust"

I apologize, FHeal.

Had a death in the family and I latched right on to homersapiens' challenge. Vulnerable moment. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

I think we're on the same page. Not that that should matter to you. ;)

:wareagle:

Anyways....

Obviously, reading comprehension escapes WE'83 .... saying what ever Gus choose's, is a far cry from calling for a replacement.

I didn't accuse you of making that statement of calling for a replacement. AUbritt did...but yet you come from me. Interesting. lol. I know you were not insinuating that JJ should start the rest of the year. I simply addressed your comment regarding the fact you would not care if JJ started the whole season. I simply said i would mind.

Of course we trust the coaches but i would want Gus's head examined if that happened and i'm sure some others would too knowing what we know about Nick and what he has done. Fine if you want to give a politically correct answer but I have no problem with reading and comprehension and addressed the comment. It seems like you have the issue as the response wasn't that deep or serious but i guess some people need someone to fuss with. SMH.

Archived