Mark My Word 2014

DaddyBoyAU

Mark my word: we have returns for touchdowns off an interception, a fumble, a punt return, and a kickoff -- in the same game (UGA).

If this happens, the beer is on me.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark My Word

three 1000 yard rushers

Kicker goes 24/24 fgs

Grant avg. 15 ypc

Coates 1000 yards

Auburn makes the playoff AND ncaam tourney

MMW: Saban eats too much roughage and soils himself in the last second of the iron bowl.

MMW: Ricardo Louis burns Georgia again on a deflection pass and the entire Georgia defense plays for Auburn the next year.

MMW: In a case of mistaken identity, Tosh.0 gets stoned to death while ordering a pizza in Tuscaloosa after Bama fails to score in the iron bowl.

MMW: Les Miles is stricken with bird flu after chawing some sideline grass that Nova had defecated on in his pre-game flight.

MMW: My facebook page will be blown up by bammers on Aug. 29 claming they're the best team ever assembled to only lose the next day to WVU.

MMW: Duke wins the ACC Championship

MMW: Rice will beat Notre Dame on opening weekend

MMW: Sammie Coates is the first WR to win the Heisman since Desmond Howard.

MMW: Texas has a losing record in Charlie Strong's first year.

MMW: I will be drinking heavily on opening weekend.

Mark my word: we have returns for touchdowns off an interception, a fumble, a punt return, and a kickoff -- in the same game (UGA).

If this happens, the beer is on me.

:cheers:

MMW: OLE MISS WILL LOSE TO UL-LAFAYETTE

MMW: A TEAM NOT IN THE BIG 5 CONFERENCES MAKES THE PLAYOFF

MMW: THERE WILL BE AT LEAST 3 NEW HEAD COACHES IN THE SEC NEXT YEAR

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I gotta hand it to Scarbo on this one.

Mark his word:

Call me a homer. Call me a Bammer AND a Barner. While you're at it, call me some professional help because anyone crazy enough to predict the outcome of the college football season in August should just go lie down.

Probably somewhere near Steve Spurrier in a dark, quiet room.

Call me a wishful-thinking extremist, but what can I say heading into my 30th year covering football in a state that makes the best sweet tea and Kool-aid? After living through Eric Ramsey and Gene Jelks, Buster Brown and Mike DuBose, Mike Price and Gene Chizik, I can see clearly now. The rain and the Jetgate plane are long gone. These are the good old days, and you gotta believe.

I believe. I really do. I believe last year wasn't a fluke. I believe Gus Malzahn and Auburn are here to stay and Nick Saban and Alabama are not going away.

I believe, if the ball bounces right and we've seen the last of the foolish suspensions on both sides, the first College Football Playoff will include not one but two teams from the best college football state on the planet.

That's right. What would've happened last year should happen this year. The Tide and Tigers should arrive at the Iron Bowl again with everything on the line - the state, division, conference and national titles - and even the loser that day should walk away with a playoff berth in sight.

Call it the Year of the Repeat, with some slight modifications. Florida State and Michigan State will join Alabama and Auburn in the national semifinals. Michigan State will lose to Alabama and its old coach, and Florida State will fall to Auburn over the full 60 minutes this time, and we'll turn the page to the Book of Revelation.

It'll be Armageddon in Arlington. The Mother of All Rematches. The end of the world as we know it at the end of the first playoff season. It'll be Alabama vs. Auburn in the national championship game.

Don't laugh. Seriously. Stop cackling. It's not as full goose bozo as it sounds.

I believe Alabama has the best combination of offensive and defensive talent in the nation. No one will have better balance, and if Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin can get this still-evolving quarterback thing figured out, no one will be better able to both outscore and outslog you.

I believe Auburn's offense will be more diverse and explosive than last year's, when it was the first in SEC history to lead the nation in rushing, and its defense will no longer be a punching bag or a punch line. It'll actually punch back.

I believe no one outside the state lines has better head coaches and coaching staffs than Alabama and Auburn, from Saban to Kirby Smart and company, from Malzahn to Ellis Johnson and beyond.

As for who's No. 1 around here in this two-horse race, who's going to win Nov. 29 in Tuscaloosa and Jan. 12 in Texas, we'll cross that bridge when we all jump off it. If it happens, remember you read it here first. If it doesn't happen, if either the Tide or the Tigers fail to reach their championship ceiling, remember this:

It'll probably be the fault of that Alabama kid Jameis Winston and that former Auburn assistant Jimbo Fisher. Again.

MMW: Our receivers lead the nation in yards per catch

MMW: We onside kick vs Bama to start the second half

MMW: Bert leaves Arkansas after going winless in the SEC and gets replace by..... You guessed it....Lane Kiffin

Mark my word: The increased frequency in the passing game will hurt Auburn's momentum in games. I feel that Gus has the right formula last year in run-run-run and then pass when unexpected. My worry is that when we start passing and have an incompletion, we won't have the running game to make it up and will be in a "forced passing" situation. This will lead to more three-and-outs and more punts in general. Fans will wonder why Gus went this route and he will have to switch back to a run-run-run offense next season (but will claim it is because we lost standout WRs like Sammie Coates and Duke Williams).

Archived