Tuesday scrimmage: Ellis Johnson speaks

McLoofus

Jermaine Whitehead is the clear leader at one safety, but Johnson said Rudy Ford has moved ahead of Derrick Moncrief at the other spot.

Johnson also said DE LaDarius Owens is dealing with an infection from one of his surgeries. "Nothing serious," but it's limiting his reps.

Trovon Reed has been moved to field CB with Jonathan Jones, while Jonathon Mincy (minor shoulder injury) is back at boundary CB.

Johnson: "We feel like right now, our two best corners are Mincy and Jones." He said Holsey is still "limited" in his return from injury.

Johnson stresses that Holsey has fully recovered from his knee injury, but the team doctors want his reps limited at this point in camp.

Johnson: "Right now, it's not clear-cut who the third linebacker would be." He mentions Anthony Swain and true freshman Tre' Williams.

Johnson: "I still think our two-deep is a bit murky." The coaching staff was scheduled to evaluate the entire team with yesterday's off day.

Johnson: "I was disappointed in our (Tuesday) scrimmage overall...mainly the guys fighting for the two-deep."

Johnson said the team started preparing a bit for Arkansas today. He said that will go full-speed next week, after classes start on Monday.

Johnson: "In our conference, I'm not big on redshirting...if you're redshirting him, you're probably recruiting over him."

@JFergusonAU

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprise about Ford but I see that as a good thing and not a bad thing that he is challenging Moncrief and has passed him. Major LOL to those dissing on Whitehead. Disappointed that Toney hasn't stepped up at LB. I was hoping he would be coming along at this point. Hate to hear Holsey is still limited. But hopefully he will continue to improve with reps and it would be awesome to have a 2 deep at CB this year so guys don't have to play every snap. Not sure I like the redshirt comments. They may be true but I don't see redshirting as a bad thing like Johnson seems to indicate. Some guys just need a year or 2 to build themselves up. I'd be afraid this commit could discourage those who get redshirted....or it could motivate them for that matter.

I'm trying to decide if Ellis is purposefully playing the defense down, because if he isn't, we are paper thin on defense going into the Arkansas game. My whole outlook on the season is getting a downgrade.

WarEagleExtra@wareagleextra 5m

Johnson said Robenson Therezie "hasn't been getting a lot of reps" at practice.

---Is he hurt on in the dog house?

10:34 AM - 14 Aug 2014

Word is he committed a "second strike" and is looking at a half season suspension, if you catch my drift.

Ahhh, ok had not heard that. Thanks for the info.

Seeing limited action:

Owens- infection

Lambert- back spasms

Lawrence- knee strain

Mincy- battling a shoulder injury.

Holsey- still not 100% after knee surgery, slightly re-injured knee in practice but said to be ok.

Therezie- not getting many reps.(reason not official yet)

Well we have 2 weeks to get healed up and then it's showtime.

Have been very dissapointed with our inability to be able to stay healthy, and/or stay out of trouble; First Lawson and Kozan go down, now Marshall and Mincy in trouble, now Therezie with a huge mishap, Holsey getting injured yet again, almost becomes a "what now" when you hear about these things.

I'm not worried about Owens. They aren't holding him out of practice altogether, which tells me, if it was a game, he'd play. He doesn't need a ton of reps. He needs to be mentally prepped. Lambert is another story. He needs reps in the defense, but he should be fine by opening kick.

We, the public, have known about Therezie for a week, which tells me the coaches adjusted to that idea two weeks ago. Holsey may be limited early, but he and Mincy are going to be a great pair at BCB. Not good. Great.

On the whole, the only real question marks are where the pass rush comes from (or at least who the DE rotation will be) and who the third/fourth LBs will be. Other than that, I think we have a pretty clear 2-deep.

DE - Owens, Lambert, Daniel, Wright, and possibly Lawrence or a freshman

DT - Wright, Bradley, Adams, Whitaker, and Blackson

LB - McKinzy and Frost, and guesses after that

FCB - Jones and Reed

FS - Whitehead

BS - Ford and Moncrief

BCB - Mincy and Holsey

That's not a particularly thin defense.

Holsey isn't injured again. The training staff is limiting his reps as part of his recovery.

Holsey isn't injured again. The training staff is limiting his reps as part of his recovery.

Both, well according to Al.com that is (one in the OP and the other linked below).

" *** CB Josh Holsey injured his knee but is said to be OK."

http://www.al.com/au..._coordin_2.html

I see the news about Ford as a good thing, that players are stepping up. All the injury talk makes me nervous, especially with guys who have been injured before. On RT, why would CEJ say he may not be able to play early, either he is suspended or not. I get it if you don't want to announce it, but seems odd to say he may not be able to play.

I wonder if Ellis is trying to challenge Moncrief by saying Ford has moved past him. If it is true though I think that is going to be a postion of strength for us. I do think we are thin though. I think the starters will be pretty good and much improved from last year but if we start to get dinged up as the season goes on we could be in trouble.

The move comes on the heels of Derrick Moncrief's absence from several practices due to a virus and dehydration. The junior college transfer emerged as the top boundary safety in the spring and drew rave reviews, but has fallen behind a tad because of his illness.

Defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson said Moncrief and Ford are "pretty even," but Moncrief's absence was enough to push Ford ahead on the depth chart -- at least temporarily.

Therezie will be out half the year. Injuries are starting to pile up. Still think our defense will be good but the depth is starting to look a little shaky.

Therezie will be out half the year. Injuries are starting to pile up. Still think our defense will be good but the depth is starting to look a little shaky.

I know everyone is hinting on why Therezie may be out half the year and someone stating it's been known for a week...i understand if it's rumor it can't be put on the board but can someone please PM me and give me the lowdown...lol...thanks

I know everyone is hinting on why Therezie may be out half the year and someone stating it's been known for a week...i understand if it's rumor it can't be put on the board but can someone please PM me and give me the lowdown...lol...thanks

He puffed puffed instead of passing.

He puffed puffed instead of passing.

:angryfire: thanks for the update

One reason Johnson's remarks about Therezie are less than clear could be that Therezie has filed an appeal and that's not settled yet.

One reason Johnson's remarks about Therezie are less than clear could be that Therezie has filed an appeal and that's not settled yet.

If there is no legal trouble, ie he failed internal tests, then what is there to appeal? You don't get to appeal when you fail a drug test for employment, licensing, etc.

If there is no legal trouble, ie he failed internal tests, then what is there to appeal? You don't get to appeal when you fail a drug test for employment, licensing, etc.

Perhaps he's claiming a false positive on a test. Could be any number of things. I, for one, hope he can fight through whatever he's got going on and get back on the field ASAP.

Archived