Tuesday scrimmage: Ellis Johnson speaks

McLoofus

With the injuries, lack of playmakers (at DE particularly - maybe coach speak?), EJ doesn't know who's gonna be the 3rd LB (more coach speak), and potential drug problems, I feel like it's going to be another loooooong year for the defense. It's gonna cost us some games this year I'm afraid.

This year may look like last years TAMU team - Electrifying offense, awful defense. The sky isn't falling yet, and I understand that, but you can't deny it doesn't look good.

It is disconcerting. Injuries are one thing, but lack of performance and discipline issues amongst the seniors is definitely no bueno.

This ^^^ a bad sign ....injuries happen, generally through no fault of the player.....the weed issue is a choice they make....and by seniors/starters? Wondering if this team has the leadership and heart to go the distance this year.

Two weeks ago I got called out for predicting this team would have a good season and go 9-3 or 10-2 at best. Am I now suddenly an optimist?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the injuries, lack of playmakers (at DE particularly - maybe coach speak?), EJ doesn't know who's gonna be the 3rd LB (more coach speak), and potential drug problems, I feel like it's going to be another loooooong year for the defense. It's gonna cost us some games this year I'm afraid.

This year may look like last years TAMU team - Electrifying offense, awful defense. The sky isn't falling yet, and I understand that, but you can't deny it doesn't look good.

It is disconcerting. Injuries are one thing, but lack of performance and discipline issues amongst the seniors is definitely no bueno.

This ^^^ a bad sign ....injuries happen, generally through no fault of the player.....the weed issue is a choice they make....and by seniors/starters? Wondering if this team has the leadership and heart to go the distance this year.

Two weeks ago I got called out for predicting this team would have a good season and go 9-3 or 10-2 at best. Am I now suddenly an optimist?

Mikey an optimist? That's pretty hard to imagine...but :-\

Well since some of this is being discussed, one thing that has floated around another board about Therezie was he didn't exactly fail his drug test, he had a diluted sample, which is failed by default. It also explains the uncertainty given by Johnson...Therezie may be appealing the test.

Already been mentioned and discussed in this thread.

Obviously missed by a lot of posters who are claiming/assuming RT was smoking weed. Give this time before jumping to conclusions.

It is very easy to get discouraged by the negative things we see going on, however, we have a very good team at Auburn (one of the best in the nation) and we have a very good coach (one of the best in the nation) and we don't see what is going on behind the scenes with our team. Yes we have problems, everyone has problems. But we are Auburn and even when we are down, even when all seems like it is going in the wrong direction, we are and we will always be never to yield. Even in our worse days we are still better people than that other school in west alabama. :jossun: :jossun: :jossun:

I'm not sure we're talking about a "lack" of performance by guys here. Moncrief has been sick and is, at the moment, surpassed by Ford who has been practicing lights out - doesn't mean Moncrief won't end up back as the presumed starter once he kicks this bug. I'm not sure any of the coaches indicated a "lack of effort" on anyone's part yet, just that they want to see guys be more consistent. That usually comes with repetition and proper development. It will come. The linebacker depth is a concern but it should not be any worse a situation than last year. Even if guys like Swain and Mitchell aren't developing or progressing as well as Frost or McKinzy, there's no reason to think they're regressing.

The playmakers will emerge once the season starts. You never know 100% who's gonna step up or not until the game is actually played. In this case, we'll see who can play with the big dogs - by game 3, we'll have our depth chart pretty much nailed down for the season I'd expect - after some shuffling in the first couple of games. Also remember that most of these injuries are the smaller, nagging types. As has been mentioned before, those guys would be playing every Saturday if we were deep in the season. I'm sure just about every player on offense and defense was "banged up" to that extent or greater at some point in the season but we never knew about it - as you never do. I'm sure it's frustrating for the coaches to have to sit guys for 2 or 3 practices but it gives the younger guys more opportunity for reps.

But the "lack of leadership" IS a concern. IDK if Therezie actually did what the test says he did - maybe not - but if he did, he hurt not only the team but his own chances at a future of playing football on Sundays with his decision - IF he did it. I'll support him and hope that he can get back out there to help us and earn a spot on a roster eventually but these guys - especially these seniors who keep making these decisions - need to be taught a harsh lesson on how their decisions affect their teammates. How they don't know that already is beyond me.

Besides the injuries, I am calling Coach Speak on these comments by CEJ. We all saw Swain play well at LB last year, so to act like we don't have anyone behind Frost and Cass is Coach Speak for one reason or another. The defense will be better than last year as the players are in their second year in the system. One of our biggest problems last year was communication and alignment. Those issues should be greatly reduced this season.

Guys get injured and guys step up. That's part of it. D will be fine.

I think folks are quick to call something a massive discipline problem or a flood of injuries. Who is injured on the defense? We have guys being held out of a fall practice or two for minor strains and being sick, but those aren't injuries. Carl Lawson and Alex Kozan are the only injuries we've had since spring. That's it. As for a discipline problem, we had two guys get really minor infractions. They're going to miss, at most, a game. Are we really saying the sky is falling over missing one CB for, at most, 7.7% of the season? That's going to make or break this defense?

Therezie's issue is legit. Assuming his suspension is affirmed, he hurt the team, but that's one guy. The guy that was supposed to start ahead of him last year (until he was actually injured, not sitting out a practice or two) is running with the ones. Unless there's something wrong with Justin Garrett, I'm not particularly worried about Star. I'd love to have both guys, but to use the cliche, next man up.

Outside of that, I haven't heard anything that sounds remotely out of place for fall camp. We lost one starter to injury. We need to build up LB depth, which cannot possibly be a surprise. We need to shore up the outside rush, which we knew based on losing Ford. I haven't heard another negative word. We're legitimately two-deep at CB (not true last year). We have three starting-caliber Safeties (not true heading into last year). We love our DT depth. We love our starting LB pair (not true last year). You folks need to back away from the ledge.

I think folks are quick to call something a massive discipline problem or a flood of injuries. Who is injured on the defense? We have guys being held out of a fall practice or two for minor strains and being sick, but those aren't injuries. Carl Lawson and Alex Kozan are the only injuries we've had since spring. That's it. As for a discipline problem, we had two guys get really minor infractions. They're going to miss, at most, a game. Are we really saying the sky is falling over missing one CB for, at most, 7.7% of the season? That's going to make or break this defense?

Therezie's issue is legit. Assuming his suspension is affirmed, he hurt the team, but that's one guy. The guy that was supposed to start ahead of him last year (until he was actually injured, not sitting out a practice or two) is running with the ones. Unless there's something wrong with Justin Garrett, I'm not particularly worried about Star. I'd love to have both guys, but to use the cliche, next man up.

Outside of that, I haven't heard anything that sounds remotely out of place for fall camp. We lost one starter to injury. We need to build up LB depth, which cannot possibly be a surprise. We need to shore up the outside rush, which we knew based on losing Ford. I haven't heard another negative word. We're legitimately two-deep at CB (not true last year). We have three starting-caliber Safeties (not true heading into last year). We love our DT depth. We love our starting LB pair (not true last year). You folks need to back away from the ledge.

Injuries are injuries and cannot do much about them. But I do think it is fair to have a concern about 3 guys that are supposed to be leaders of this team, violate rules that they absolutely knew they were violating. IMO opinion it shows complete disregard for coaches and other players on the team. They were selfish acts that can potentially hurt the team. The one that bothers me the most is if a player has hit the "second strike" level. I said this earlier, if true and a player misses half the season, I would hope our play at that position is such that he is not missed nor needed. That when he returns, that playing time is scarce and in mop up situations.

Dang !!!

(thought this was going to be a big beefy scrimmage report)

Isn't there some kind of rumour control about requiring a link....and....don't mods usually combine duplicate threads. Perhaps there's a need for a weed-forum, because it seems the same olde same olde, from the same olde (it-seems) every time the word is mentioned. And then whole thread goes to pot (sic) as the thread becomes near useless.

Please

I can hardly believe that some people are predicting a disastrous season ahead because of this Therezie business and the injuries to

Kozan and Lawson. If nothing else, it smacks of cringing defeatism. That is a state of mind that I would never have associated with Auburn-and I do not plan on starting now. So, excuse me for still looking forward to a great season WDE!

We had just as much, maybe more, bad stuff last year. McNeal, Parks, Miller and Fulse all suspended or dismissed. Whitacker, Jones, Garrett and Ford were all injured. I think some people were lulled into a "AU-fantasy land" view of things. This is still real life last time I checked. I understand because we have had so much good happen on the heels of so much bad. I am glad we got a dose of reality prior to the season. We needed it so that we don't let a game go south due to expecting "luck" to win out over skill and hard work.

There can be no denying the fact that discipline issues like this, no matter the reason, can cause problems. One Senior is enough, two is too many, but when it comes from 3 players in your Senior class who are suppose to lead the underclassmen, it can really have a negative effect on a team. Lack of respect for leadership can destroy an organization quicker than anything.

On a football team, resentments are built up by those that are trying to do things the right way and because the team has been unnecessarily put in a difficult position. The reality is that before too long team morale and cohesiveness are effected. Gus knows all this of course and will handle it but it is just very unfortunate that he is forced to deal with it.

To be honest, whoever is smoking now was also smoking last year. All the way to the SEC championship and BCS title game. They didn't just start smoking the ganja this offseason. They just happened to be caught.

.....Lack of respect for leadership can destroy an organization quicker than anything.....

That's been my experience, with athletic teams, in the military and in the business world.

To be honest, whoever is smoking now was also smoking last year. All the way to the SEC championship and BCS title game. They didn't just start smoking the ganja this offseason. They just happened to be caught.

Same goes for most of their teammates whom they supposedly "let down".

Ellis is old school and clearly uses the old school coach speak as others have said. Heck, to hear the OBC talk, USCe will barely field a team this year which we all know is just the way he rolls. Folks gotta chill and just see what happens. I'm still very, very optimistic about the whole season.

Same goes for most of their teammates whom they supposedly "let down".

Yup.

Ellis is old school and clearly uses the old school coach speak as others have said. Heck, to hear the OBC talk, USCe will barely field a team this year which we all know is just the way he rolls. Folks gotta chill and just see what happens. I'm still very, very optimistic about the whole season.

This isn't Coach Johnson's first rodeo...he understands the role of the media.

He should ask for the mass spectrometry, or gas chromatography to be done on his sample , it is much more sensitive and specific. Plus, it will settle the issue one way or the other. SIAP

SIAP?? Yeah if I've heard about chromatography once on this board I've heard it a million times...... /yellow font

Hehe...basically, it's the same thing scientists use to determine chemical composition of matter that can be vaporized. It breaks up the components of urine and allows scientists to accurately determine the exact components of the chemicals in it - basically, they can eliminate the normal urine stuff and see what else is there.

mac is absolutely right, that is is right, and the logical next step for him.

two things I'd like to point out about the drug policy/process:

1. If an athlete voluntarily disclosed the use of a banned substance other than pot, there is no mandatory suspension and it is up to the coaches.

2. If an athlete has a second positive pot test, he can appeal the suspension. That appeal is not just limited to a false positive etc... He can present

anything he feels mitigates the penalty and the board hearing the appeal has the ability to make a recommendation to the AD. At that point the AD

has the ability to reduce the suspension with the approval of the University President.

He should ask for the mass spectrometry, or gas chromatography to be done on his sample , it is much more sensitive and specific. Plus, it will settle the issue one way or the other. SIAP

SIAP?? Yeah if I've heard about chromatography once on this board I've heard it a million times...... /yellow font

Hehe...basically, it's the same thing scientists use to determine chemical composition of matter that can be vaporized. It breaks up the components of urine and allows scientists to accurately determine the exact components of the chemicals in it - basically, they can eliminate the normal urine stuff and see what else is there.

mac is absolutely right, that is is right, and the logical next step for him.

two things I'd like to point out about the drug policy/process:

1. If an athlete voluntarily disclosed the use of a banned substance other than pot, there is no mandatory suspension and it is up to the coaches.

2. If an athlete has a second positive pot test, he can appeal the suspension. That appeal is not just limited to a false positive etc... He can present

anything he feels mitigates the penalty and the board hearing the appeal has the ability to make a recommendation to the AD. At that point the AD

has the ability to reduce the suspension with the approval of the University President.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for that. I got carried away with process in general. :)

I dunno. I have mixed feelings about pot in general. I do believe, as I've posted multiple times, that at least half of guys aged 30 and under that I meet smoke weed. I just don't think it's that big of a deal. It's not performance enhancing. (Well maybe it makes nick and company so smooth with their zone reads .) I get that it's illegal in our state. We can argue all day long as to that debate. Maybe we should go easy on guys that smoke it on their own private time. I think we'd all maybe be a little less wound up about the topic. Just a thought.

Archived