Updyke dunk tank

WFE12

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is that HE IS the poster child of their fan base.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/2012_bcs_championship_harvey_u.html

Finebaum lionizes Updyke...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11323616/harvey-updyke-jr-excerpt-my-conference-beat-your-conference-paul-finebaum

The truth is, I have a soft spot for Harvey - not for what he did to those oak trees, but for his Bama passion, however incredibly misguided it was.

I never thought Harvey should be sent to jail. Fine him. Make him do community service. But having Harvey Updyke sit in jail trading autographs for Honey Buns served no purpose. Jail would never make Harvey less of an Alabama fan.

Harvey had too much Bama in him. But Bama has always had a weird effect on people.

Someday, he will be as much a part of bama football as Bear, Saban, and some of the players.

He may not be sitting with the Alumni, but he will always be loved by the trailer parkers...

So apparantly the McCarron clan is claiming death threats toward them as the reason for pulling Updyke.

I don't buy it. Just own up and admit it was a bad idea from the start, you didn't realize the heat it would receive, and thought in the best interest to pull him.

They're claiming death threats via social media:

http://www.saturdayd...-harvey-updyke/

"Dee Dee Bonner, the mother of former Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron, told ESPN.com that his part of the Sept. 29 event had been scrapped after she and McCarron’s wife Katherine both received death threats and other ugly comments through social media."

No screen shots, etc. They couldn't have just admitted bad judgment and moved on?

"Dee Dee Bonner, the mother of former Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron, told ESPN.com that his part of the Sept. 29 event had been scrapped after she and McCarron’s wife Katherine both received death threats and other ugly comments through social media."

No screen shots, etc. They couldn't have just admitted bad judgment and moved on?

I wouldn't automatically assume this is bogus. If you've ever heard Tammy on Finebaum, you know we have some crazies out there too. Then again, I wouldn't put it past some of the Bama crazies (far, far greater in number and degree) to fake death threats from AU fans. I also wouldn't put it past Dee Dee to exaggerate something to make it seem much bigger than it really was (I mean, have you seen her boob job?).

I wouldn't automatically assume this is bogus. If you've ever heard Tammy on Finebaum, you know we have some crazies out there too. Then again, I wouldn't put it past some of the Bama crazies (far, far greater in number and degree) to fake death threats from AU fans. I also wouldn't put it past Dee Dee to exaggerate something to make it seem much bigger than it really was (I mean, have you seen her boob job?).

:rimshot:

Agreed on all points. I'd still like to see some evidence though.

L

:rimshot:/>

Agreed on all points. I'd still like to see some evidence though.

? Scars from the incisions.

@DeeDeeBonner: @Aubie56 best of luck to AU this season. Hope we get the title back where it belongs - in our state. One of us sounds perfect! ? RTR & WDE

From her own twitter. Doesn't sound like death threats to me.

I would just like to point out that it did not even take a day for my previous post to find validation....they probably accomplished what they wanted and got to brag about it on espn.

One has to have some sense of class and etiquette to admit bad judgement and move on!

It is so much easier to just blame others, (Auburn) for their horrid decision making. Plus I am sure they know the bamzo state media will back their excuse!

Never To Yield Foundation has posted this:

Schlabach's baseless accusations

August 21, 2014 ESPN's Mark Slabach found it amusing that Harvey Updyke might appear at a charity event where he would be dunked or hit with pies. When the event organizer rescinded his invitation to Updyke in the wake of a negative backlash, Slabach cited "death threats" allegedly made toward AJ McCarron's mother DeeDee Bonner. The alleged "death threats" were never provided. We were unable to locate a single tweet, post or public comment made to Bonner of that nature. But Slabach had no qualms in defaming Auburn fans with his baseless accusations.

If there are death threats, then laws were broken, and the perpetrators should be identified and prosecuted. For now, I'm not believing it. This reeks of lazy journalism.

ICYMI, Never to Yield Foundation posted this before Updyke was scratched from the event:

No Dunking Way

In NtY Articles / 21 August 2014

Harvey Updyke is like a bad penny. We have no idea what a bad penny is, but we know that according to the adage it keeps turning up. So does Harvey. He’s the unwanted houseguest who just won’t go away.

According to multiple sources Updyke will appear in Mobile at a charity event where he will sit in a dunk tank and/or take pies to the face. T.J. Hodges, an Alabama fan living near Chicago, is organizing the event to help raise for his nonprofit organization, Roses From Linda, to help family members visit terminally ill patients before they die.

Great organization, worthy cause but offensive promotion.

As we watched Updyke’s strange saga unfold in the wake of his heinous destruction of a cherished Auburn landmark, most of us came to realize that Harvey is a damaged individual. He’s haunted by his own obsessions; made so deranged by a passion for something over which he has no control or influence that he resorted to an act of wanton destruction to appease the demons in his own mind.

We understand that his self delusion is so ingrained that he believes himself a warrior for a right and just cause; a defender of crimson virtue and pride. He fully expected to be celebrated as a conquering hero when he rained poison on Auburn’s cherished Toomer’s Oaks. He was dumbfounded when he wasn’t carried out on the shoulders of his Crimson bretheren. He was mystified and hurt when thousands didn’t publicly rally to his cause and he ended up fined and briefly incarcerated.

If we’re honest, many of us pitied the washed up old man we saw shuffling in and out of the courtrooms. We felt some small sympathy for his befuddled plight. In truth, the vast majority of us have come to terms with what he did and have found a way to forgive him for his misguided passions.

But we haven’t forgotten.

People like Hodges don’t allow us to forget. Maybe Hodges sees poisoning our beloved trees as just a harmless prank.

ESPN’s Mark Slabach seems to think as much, chuckling that with the dunking booth we’d get to “have our revenge” on Harvey.

Wesley Vaughn of al.com also sees the hilarity in having Harvey paraded around, by golly! He bets Auburn fans will get pleasure out of bringing ol’ Harv to justice.

What if a Tennessee fan had taken a sledgehammer to the statue of Bear Bryant? Would letting Tide fans hit him with seltzer water really assuage their hurt and anger? Would Slabach be so cavalier? A statue can be rebuilt. It took a century or more for the trees at Toomer’s Corner to grow to full size.

Would the American people dump Nickelodeon slime on the head of a man who dynamited George Washington off Mount Rushmore to “get their revenge?” Would Vaughn, bet on some fun-loving patriots coming out to chunk a few pies for fun, by golly?

While we can forgive Harvey the human being, we cannot — and frankly should not — excuse, overlook or minimize the depraved acts he perpetrated.

And yet many do.

Harvey is being treated like a celebrity. And not just a celebrity, but as a member of Alabama royalty. Appearing at an event that also features former quarterback A.J. McCarron and his high profile mother validates Updyke as a treasured and respected member of the Bama Nation.

Can Hodges truly be so insensitive that he thinks giving Harvey Updyke a public platform of this nature is not offensive to all Auburn fans? Does he honestly think that the carnage unleashed by Updyke on the Auburn campus is all in good fun and we should treat it accordingly? Or does he just find humor in our pain?

If Bill Curry had bulldozed Denny Chimes on his way out of Tuscaloosa, would a dunking booth arranged by an Auburn fan that featured the former Bama coach be accepted in the spirit of good fun?

There’s nothing funny, good natured or in good taste in relation to Updyke from our perspective.

We don’t really blame Harvey Updyke. He’s a bitter, delusional old man who wants nothing more than to be respected and revered by his Alabama cousins. He yearns to be feted like the hero he truly believes himself to be. He would do anything to keep his celebrity alive for another two or three minutes rather than being tossed to the cold ash heap of history for what he truly is — a deranged individual who took things too far.

Hodges deserves the blame for giving Harvey a stage. He deserves to be called to task for enabling Updyke’s celebrity.

McCarron must also shoulder a large portion of the blame for agreeing to appear at an event with Updyke. Just being there is a tacit endorsement of what Updyke did.

McCarron, who has lived a very public personal life for the last three years, should realize more than most how his involvement with Updyke will be perceived.

To be fair, Paul Finebaum, ESPN and the new SEC Network deserve a sizeable portion of blame for keeping Harvey’s ghost alive as well. Rarely a day goes by that Updyke isn’t mentioned on Finebaum’s ESPN-based radio show. The ringmaster of the jackass circus has often used Updyke’s ignorant ramblings in promos for his network. Nearly half of ESPN’s Roll Tide/War Eagle documentary focused on Updyke, far more than he was worth. Beyond that, Finebaum skirted the requirement that prevents Updyke from speaking to the media by interviewing him for his book.

We’d be happy to put this entire sorry episode behind us and move on. Our cherished trees are gone. We’ve come to terms with that as much as it saddened us to do so. Most of us have reached the point of acceptance.

Until, that is, we’re reminded yet again by those who celebrate Updyke’s sorry legacy that the grief and pain we felt over losing a treasured part of our Auburn lives has little value to some. To them, it’s nothing but a big joke. Throw a pie at it and feel better.

No dunking way.

In fairness, I don't know that Bonner and the McCarrons were aware of Updyke's involvement when they agreed to help. Hodges, for all his good intentions, showed very poor judgment in scheduling Harvey. (Either that, or he's a PR genius, because this event has gotten FAR more publicity than it otherwise would have.)

I would like to believe mcctat and his mother were not aware.....But, alas, I do not.......

Never To Yield Foundation has posted this:

Schlabach's baseless accusations

August 21, 2014 ESPN's Mark Slabach found it amusing that Harvey Updyke might appear at a charity event where he would be dunked or hit with pies. When the event organizer rescinded his invitation to Updyke in the wake of a negative backlash, Slabach cited "death threats" allegedly made toward AJ McCarron's mother DeeDee Bonner. The alleged "death threats" were never provided. We were unable to locate a single tweet, post or public comment made to Bonner of that nature. But Slabach had no qualms in defaming Auburn fans with his baseless accusations.

If there are death threats, then laws were broken, and the perpetrators should be identified and prosecuted. For now, I'm not believing it. This reeks of lazy journalism.

Maybe I get carried away sometimes, but do you see what we mean about many at BSPN's attitude toward Auburn? Death threats; another piece of false, completely irresponsible journalism!

A lie can spread it's way around the country, while the truth is still getting it's pants on. (Mark Twain, I believe)

A lie can spread it's way around the country, while the truth is still getting it's pants on. (Mark Twain, I believe)

So applicable to so much of what our football program has gone through. And a much more eloquent way of saying what I was thinking this morning: "Somebody said that Auburn people are making death threats, and it doesn't matter at all if it's true or not."

Surprised I've never heard that quote before. Great quote.

ICYMI, Never to Yield Foundation posted this before Updyke was scratched from the event:

No Dunking Way

In NtY Articles / 21 August 2014

Harvey Updyke is like a bad penny. We have no idea what a bad penny is, but we know that according to the adage it keeps turning up. So does Harvey. He’s the unwanted houseguest who just won’t go away.

According to multiple sources Updyke will appear in Mobile at a charity event where he will sit in a dunk tank and/or take pies to the face. T.J. Hodges, an Alabama fan living near Chicago, is organizing the event to help raise for his nonprofit organization, Roses From Linda, to help family members visit terminally ill patients before they die.

Great organization, worthy cause but offensive promotion.

As we watched Updyke’s strange saga unfold in the wake of his heinous destruction of a cherished Auburn landmark, most of us came to realize that Harvey is a damaged individual. He’s haunted by his own obsessions; made so deranged by a passion for something over which he has no control or influence that he resorted to an act of wanton destruction to appease the demons in his own mind.

We understand that his self delusion is so ingrained that he believes himself a warrior for a right and just cause; a defender of crimson virtue and pride. He fully expected to be celebrated as a conquering hero when he rained poison on Auburn’s cherished Toomer’s Oaks. He was dumbfounded when he wasn’t carried out on the shoulders of his Crimson bretheren. He was mystified and hurt when thousands didn’t publicly rally to his cause and he ended up fined and briefly incarcerated.

If we’re honest, many of us pitied the washed up old man we saw shuffling in and out of the courtrooms. We felt some small sympathy for his befuddled plight. In truth, the vast majority of us have come to terms with what he did and have found a way to forgive him for his misguided passions.

But we haven’t forgotten.

People like Hodges don’t allow us to forget. Maybe Hodges sees poisoning our beloved trees as just a harmless prank.

ESPN’s Mark Slabach seems to think as much, chuckling that with the dunking booth we’d get to “have our revenge” on Harvey.

Wesley Vaughn of al.com also sees the hilarity in having Harvey paraded around, by golly! He bets Auburn fans will get pleasure out of bringing ol’ Harv to justice.

What if a Tennessee fan had taken a sledgehammer to the statue of Bear Bryant? Would letting Tide fans hit him with seltzer water really assuage their hurt and anger? Would Slabach be so cavalier? A statue can be rebuilt. It took a century or more for the trees at Toomer’s Corner to grow to full size.

Would the American people dump Nickelodeon slime on the head of a man who dynamited George Washington off Mount Rushmore to “get their revenge?” Would Vaughn, bet on some fun-loving patriots coming out to chunk a few pies for fun, by golly?

While we can forgive Harvey the human being, we cannot — and frankly should not — excuse, overlook or minimize the depraved acts he perpetrated.

And yet many do.

Harvey is being treated like a celebrity. And not just a celebrity, but as a member of Alabama royalty. Appearing at an event that also features former quarterback A.J. McCarron and his high profile mother validates Updyke as a treasured and respected member of the Bama Nation.

Can Hodges truly be so insensitive that he thinks giving Harvey Updyke a public platform of this nature is not offensive to all Auburn fans? Does he honestly think that the carnage unleashed by Updyke on the Auburn campus is all in good fun and we should treat it accordingly? Or does he just find humor in our pain?

If Bill Curry had bulldozed Denny Chimes on his way out of Tuscaloosa, would a dunking booth arranged by an Auburn fan that featured the former Bama coach be accepted in the spirit of good fun?

There’s nothing funny, good natured or in good taste in relation to Updyke from our perspective.

We don’t really blame Harvey Updyke. He’s a bitter, delusional old man who wants nothing more than to be respected and revered by his Alabama cousins. He yearns to be feted like the hero he truly believes himself to be. He would do anything to keep his celebrity alive for another two or three minutes rather than being tossed to the cold ash heap of history for what he truly is — a deranged individual who took things too far.

Hodges deserves the blame for giving Harvey a stage. He deserves to be called to task for enabling Updyke’s celebrity.

McCarron must also shoulder a large portion of the blame for agreeing to appear at an event with Updyke. Just being there is a tacit endorsement of what Updyke did.

McCarron, who has lived a very public personal life for the last three years, should realize more than most how his involvement with Updyke will be perceived.

To be fair, Paul Finebaum, ESPN and the new SEC Network deserve a sizeable portion of blame for keeping Harvey’s ghost alive as well. Rarely a day goes by that Updyke isn’t mentioned on Finebaum’s ESPN-based radio show. The ringmaster of the jackass circus has often used Updyke’s ignorant ramblings in promos for his network. Nearly half of ESPN’s Roll Tide/War Eagle documentary focused on Updyke, far more than he was worth. Beyond that, Finebaum skirted the requirement that prevents Updyke from speaking to the media by interviewing him for his book.

We’d be happy to put this entire sorry episode behind us and move on. Our cherished trees are gone. We’ve come to terms with that as much as it saddened us to do so. Most of us have reached the point of acceptance.

Until, that is, we’re reminded yet again by those who celebrate Updyke’s sorry legacy that the grief and pain we felt over losing a treasured part of our Auburn lives has little value to some. To them, it’s nothing but a big joke. Throw a pie at it and feel better.

No dunking way.

In fairness, I don't know that Bonner and the McCarrons were aware of Updyke's involvement when they agreed to help. Hodges, for all his good intentions, showed very poor judgment in scheduling Harvey. (Either that, or he's a PR genius, because this event has gotten FAR more publicity than it otherwise would have.)

Don't give AJ and Double D more credit than they deserve. From the release: "Former Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron and his mother are helping organize the event." If they are helping organize it, they knew Updick (sp) was involved.

McTatt and his women are all addicted to the spotlight. You can expect other tasteless events to follow this one. They want the attention. That's why updyke was included. They used him and they used Auburn fans for another round of media exposure.

McTatt and his women are all addicted to the spotlight. You can expect other tasteless events to follow this one. They want the attention. That's why updyke was included. They used him and they used Auburn fans for another round of media exposure.

Not only that; they're obviously a pack of liars. ESPN should report that mama can't produce any of the supposed death threats she claims they received.

Don't give AJ and Double D more credit than they deserve. From the release: "Former Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron and his mother are helping organize the event." If they are helping organize it, they knew Updick (sp) was involved.

Don't believe everything you read in a press release. Do you really think AJ McCarron is taking time while he's at the Cincinnati Bengals training camp to organize a charity event? His name is attached to the event because it helps with publicity. And you can't assume that someone helping organize one aspect of an event is aware of every other aspect of that event. Bonner may or may not have known about Updyke, but I can almost guarantee AJ did not.

Some of you are letting your dislike of everything Bama get in the way of rational thinking.

Don't believe everything you read in a press release. Do you really think AJ McCarron is taking time while he's at the Cincinnati Bengals training camp to organize a charity event? His name is attached to the event because it helps with publicity. And you can't assume that someone helping organize one aspect of an event is aware of every other aspect of that event. Bonner may or may not have known about Updyke, but I can almost guarantee AJ did not.

Some of you are letting your dislike of everything Bama get in the way of rational thinking.

OK....rational thinking says the women of McTattville were actually involved in the planning.

You think his mama and his wife never had a conversation with him about it? I think they did....and I think they all knew it would garner a lot of press. Don't forget that his wife was in LA hoping to be a model/actress when she latched on to McTatt. This whole thing was about self-promotion for all of them.

That bunch is like politicians who get caught doing something illegal or distasteful....they turn it around to become someone else's fault or deflect onto another group. bammers are great spin doctors.

Cancer doesn't care about McTattville either.

Archived