It's here! Now what? USC vs TAMU - AU's best interests?

freemanjiro

Why is that?

How many air-raid offenses have you seen win Natties in the last 20 years? And by Air-Raid I mean any offense that passes at a ratio of 60-40 or greater.

Oklahoma has been right in the middle of the BCS picture with one, for about the last 15 years. Texas A&M will likely end up in that mix too over the next few years. However, that's not what you said, you said "it's hard to win consistently with the air-raid IMO". It's not the offensive philosophy or rush/pass ratio that is important, it is the caliber of players that you have, and how well they execute it.

Oklahoma and Texas A&M have shown that it works well enough to win consistently against the big boys, because they have the talent to play with the big boys. The Air Raid itself was never going to build a program like Texas Tech into a perennial contender with the talent level they have, but it definitely moved them forward. An overmatched team is an overmatched team, regardless of what they run. That was frequently demonstrated by Texas Tech's opponents.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at what aTm's O-line did to the gamecocks pass rush. I hardly recall a time Kenny Hill was under pressure. Now whether that is more a statement to aTm's O-line or a statement about what Clowney meant to the 'cocks - I'm not sure. Regardless - you dont fluke your way to 52 points against good teams.

Mostly agreed. It definitely helps that aTm's passing game is built mostly on very short drops and quick releases, which significantly mitigates the pass rush. It also helps even more that they have the WRs to create separation, block for each other and then do something with the ball after the catch.

Why is that?

How many air-raid offenses have you seen win Natties in the last 20 years? And by Air-Raid I mean any se that passes at a ratio of 60-40 or greater.

Oklahoma has been right in the middle of the BCS picture with one, for about the last 15 years. Texas A&M will likely end up in that mix too over the next few years. However, that's not what you said, you said "it's hard to win consistently with the air-raid IMO". It's not the offensive philosophy or rush/pass ratio that is important, it is the caliber of players that you have, and how well they execute it.

Oklahoma and Texas A&M have shown that it works well enough to win consistently against the big boys, because they have the talent to play with the big boys. The Air Raid itself was never going to build a program like Texas Tech into a perennial contender with the talent level they have, but it definitely moved them forward. An overmatched team is an overmatched team, regardless of what they run. That was frequently demonstrated by Texas Tech's opponents.

I agree with Caleb. Typically, championship teams have a balanced offense along with a good defense. Auburn did not match this description last year but their capable passing game kept other defenses honest. They also had an average defense between the twenties and that is the reason we didn't win the big one .

People don't want to give Sumlin his due, he's every bit as good of a coach as Gus is. They are the team for us to worry about in the future

I don't get the reluctance to give Sumlin props either. He just knows what the D will give them and checks into it at the line, its incredibly tough to stop. Also Kenny Football seemed flawless going through his progressions and hitting an open WR throughout the entire game.

Wow! Just read this thread from the beginning. I did not post and I am not sure how I would have, but man that was a butt stomping. Obviously, only a couple of people on this thread were right about what happened.

I watched the game, it reminded me of the stomping we took from A&M 2 years ago. I guess we can quit wondering if A&M is going to be good, year in and year out.

A&M is going to be a major factor in the conference. They looked great for an SEC opening against a team most thought was a Top 10 team.

I was there, and thoroughly embarrassed。I did appreciate the free tickets offered outside the stadium, but it didn't come close to making up for the butt whooping we took. It was uuuuggggllllyyyyyyy!

Why is that?

How many air-raid offenses have you seen win Natties in the last 20 years? And by Air-Raid I mean any se that passes at a ratio of 60-40 or greater.

I agree with Caleb. Typically, championship teams have a balanced offense along with a good defense. Auburn did not match this description last year but their capable passing game kept other defenses honest. They also had an average defense between the twenties and that is the reason we didn't win the big one .

Yes. If you win consistently you most likely will be in contention for a natty. Not many air raid teams are contending for a championship year in and year out. It's a simple matter of the fact that running the football is more consistent. If you rely on your passing game and your QB has an off game things get ugly quick.

Not rooting for one over the other. Outcome has no impact on AU.

Wow. It's been explained multiple times already in this thread that the outcome absolutely does impact AU. No sense in explaining it again, I reckon.

well you have your opinion and I have mine. It could impact Auburn later if they don't take care of business but there is no way to know that at this point.

Wow. It's been explained multiple times already in this thread that the outcome absolutely does impact AU. No sense in explaining it again, I reckon.

well you have your opinion and I have mine. It could impact Auburn later if they don't take care of business but there is no way to know that at this point.

Not an opinion. If Auburn wants to get to the SECCG, then we have to have a better SEC record than the other teams in the SECW. That means it helps us when other SECW teams lose.

Not an opinion. If Auburn wants to get to the SECCG, then we have to have a better SEC record than the other teams in the SECW. That means it helps us when other SECW teams lose.

ka-ching

I'm glad this game is in week 11. We absolutely need Carl Lawson back by this game or we are SCREWED. Right now we have 4 defensive tackles at D line. Texas A&M's offensive line is scary good. We need all the pass rush we can get

I get that part. But as of right now it does not matter. The implication was that we needed TAMU to lose. It may come into play and it may not. It is way too early to start worrying about that.

Archived