Jeremy Johnson

RunInRed

To those complaining about the read option run with JJ in the game, I think they were all designed hand-offs. The read option for him was whether to run the ball or throw the ball like on the first TD of the game he threw to Melvin Ray. It was a read option based off of what the CB did on the play. The CB bit hard on the run and Ray slipped into the open spot of the field. JJ read the play perfectly and hit Ray for a 49yd TD.

Auburn ran a simplified offense with JJ in the game. AL.com has an article that breaks down the number of snaps players on the O had during the game. Auburn pretty much kept the same personnel on the field during JJ's entire time in the game. Most sub's were made while NM was in the game as far as changing up personnel groupings.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, somebody was comparing JJ's size to Cams's. JJ's frame is vastly smaller than CN. CN has much wider shoulders than JJ. Not saying JJ isn't big, but nowhere near the size of CN. He was just a freak.

We're blessed to have at LEAST 2 QBS that could start most of our games and rock & roll, but IMHO a planned 2-QB system is going to keep Nick from developing (yes developing) further. JJ can do it all and is the man starting next year but Nick can do an overall better job with this O this year. fwiw, no player in the history of the planet has had more media anticipation hype than Todd Gurley. There are 9 or 10 RBs in the SEC of his caliber. He's the new Mark Ingram.

The guy played 6A ball was the player of the year in basketball as well and Gus keeps repeating himself that the guy can run......somebody says that when they saw him he could run yet a statement saying he's in the SEC now makes perfect sense to you.....that's hilarious. He likes to state pointless stuff to make pretend he's some type of guru and I don't know what you call yourself doing

You seem upset.

You see; in HS, 6A or not, he would have been the most athletic player on the field 9 times out of 10. Therefore, the fact that he could run in HS doesn't exactly magically translate over to the SEC, where his relative athleticism is much more average. Is he athletic for a QB of his size? Yes, but it should be blatantly obvious just by watching him by now that running will be a secondary option. He looks timid making reads.

Barrett Trotter ran for 600+ yards his senior season in HS.

I hate to think how testy this forum would be if we had lost.

no kidding.

I don't know if you missed anything. I just figured that would be the most logical reason for him not to run. I suppose if the game absolutely hinged on it, he would've run. However, it appeared the pass was working.

This is absolutely the most logical reason for the coaches not running him. An injury to Johnson is almost as bad as one to Marshall.

The guy played 6A ball was the player of the year in basketball as well and Gus keeps repeating himself that the guy can run......somebody says that when they saw him he could run yet a statement saying he's in the SEC now makes perfect sense to you.....that's hilarious. He likes to state pointless stuff to make pretend he's some type of guru and I don't know what you call yourself doing

You seem upset.

You see; in HS, 6A or not, he would have been the most athletic player on the field 9 times out of 10. Therefore, the fact that he could run in HS doesn't exactly magically translate over to the SEC, where his relative athleticism is much more average. Is he athletic for a QB of his size? Yes, but it should be blatantly obvious just by watching him by now that running will be a secondary option. He looks timid making reads.

Nick Marshall was timid making reads and Marshall is the prime example you use as far as being a good runner. You know what else? In high school Marshall probably ran faster than everybody else and 9 times out of 10 he was the best athlete on the field, which is probably why they figured he could do it in college....

The guy played 6A ball was the player of the year in basketball as well and Gus keeps repeating himself that the guy can run......somebody says that when they sa7w him he could run yet a statement saying he's in the SEC now makes perfect sense to you.....that's hilarious. He likes to state pointless stuff to make pretend he's some type of guru and I don't know what you call yourself doing

Has he run for big yards in the SEC yet? No. Has he had opportunities? Yes. Will he? Very possibly, but no guarantee. He is one-two steps slower than NM. He looks more like a Jason Campbell with a slightly better arm and maybe a little quicker at this point. My prediction is he will be more of an opportunistic runner than a creative runner like NM.

Get over yourself, seriously. Your point is that he ran in 6A ball and Gus has said he can run so he will? So, Gus is going to say he can't run? Sure, he can run. The question is for how much? Not as much as in HS, I'm guessing.

Then what is your point? Nobody said he could run like Marshall. You just want to type some crap. As far as saying can he run or not I'm saying he's athletic enough to be a big enough threat where people guess if he's going to keep the ball or not. As a matter of fact I wasn't even talking to you in the first place so actually you get over yourself. If the question is can he run or not I'm going to say yes and just like any other prospect that is in college I'm going to look at what he did in high school to form an opinion on what he may do in college. Like when he was unstoppable against Auburn High and they had a good defense with multiple college players. Yes I look at that.....

Gotta complain about somethin', so we're just making stuff up at this point. This season is proof that the QB conversation will always be a passionate and contentious one. Things really couldn't possibly be positive for us at the most important position on the field, and we're still picking nits all over the place. It's hilarious.

At least we won't have to find out this year. :jossun:/> :jossun:/> :jossun:/>

I nominate this for post of the year!

Just an aside; I saw Jeremy Johnson a few times in high school. He CAN run. He is powerful and fast.

HS to SEC is a big jump. Lots of guys can run in HS.

This does not make any sense

Sure it does. SEC defenders are faster than high school ones. What part of that was hard?

You seem upset.

Nick Marshall was timid making reads and Marshall is the prime example you use as far as being a good runner. You know what else? In high school Marshall probably ran faster than everybody else and 9 times out of 10 he was the best athlete on the field, which is probably why they figured he could do it in college....

I think the reason we didn't see JJ run is because we didn't need him to. The pass game was working for us, and the biggest threat to the defense was JJ's arm, not his legs. Instead of running after the fake to the RB like Marshall does a lot of the time, they prefer JJ to pass, especially with the arm strength he has and the receivers that he is throwing to.

He may not have run the ball, but he racked up 254 passing yards and 2 TDs in 1 half, and was over 200 yards passing before he had an incompletion. If the pass game is working and we can rush enough with our RBs to keep the defense honest and open up the PA pass game, why have Johnson run it and risk getting him injured?

Just an aside; I saw Jeremy Johnson a few times in high school. He CAN run. He is powerful and fast.

Sure it does. SEC defenders are faster than high school ones. What part of that was hard?

So....are you saying that JJ couldn't have gotten stronger and faster as well?

I think that he can and he has, but I also think that JJ's style of running has changed. In HS, he was able to run around folks and make them miss. In the SEC, defenders are faster, stronger, and most importantly more disciplined. Rhett and Gus are using JJ in the run game similar to how they used Cam, using more outside zone read to let the RBs swing out and run around the Defense (which they currently have Marshall do) while they have JJ run inside the tackles where he can use his elite size to over power the LBs and DBs who come up to stop him.

No, not even close to what I was saying. I'm sure he is stronger and faster. But the teams he played in high school probably had, at most, one or two guys that were as talented as any of the 11 guys he is facing from an SEC defense. It has nothing to do with growth and development. College football just has more concentrated talent than high school football.

^^I think you guys are arguing about two different things...

Or arguing just to argue.

Surely no Auburn fan has to explain to another how average talent rises and relative talent diminishes as athletes progress to higher echelons of competition.

Surely no Auburn fan has to explain to another how average talent rises and relative talent diminishes as athletes progress to higher echelons of competition.

Trying to give the benefit of the doubt ;)

Exactly so that being the case there can't be any logic of saying yeah he could run but now he can't.....it's the SEC

Exactly so that being the case there can't be any logic of saying yeah he could run but now he can't.....it's the SEC

Sigh. I was sorely mistaken. Barnacle, I should've followed your lead.

Anybody that types out sigh on a message board clearly thinks too much of themselves and should be laughed at, I'm not going to say anything else about it but when he does show he can run don't be mad at the I told you so

Archived