Why Southern Baptists must aid Liberia

AUUSN

The relocation of freed slaves to the western Africa actually began in 1821. Subsequently, over the ensuing years Methodists and other Christians were involved with helping them.

Link?

Dude, really you should just quit. The actual date is 1817.

http://www.slate.com..._us_slaves.html

"When the first settlers were relocated to Liberia in 1822, the plan drew immediate criticism on several fronts. Many leaders in the black community publicly attacked it, asking why free blacks should have to emigrate from the country where they, their parents, and even their grandparents were born. Meanwhile, slave owners in the South vigorously denounced the plan as an assault on their slave economy."

That link was trash. You stated, "Subsequently, over the ensuing years Methodists and other Christians were involved with helping them."

I've already provided proof that the government sponsored initiative to relocate the freed slaves died but the Baptists continued to emigrate people to Liberia.

Where is the link that Methodists did the same?

Classis liberal tactic...you dont like the content so the link is trash. SO, now, IF you're arguing the govt started the Liberian colonization why does any responsibility fall on the Southern Baptists. You're all over the map bud. First you post as fact that the SB started Liberia now you're stating the govt started it. I have simply posted that it was NOT JUST Southern Baptists involved in that effort which included Methodists as well as other evangelicals. Are you conceding that your original argument if clearly flawed now?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have simply posted that it was NOT JUST Southern Baptists involved in that effort which included Methodists as well as other evangelicals.

Where. is. the. link.

It's not my argument, I merely posted the article that was posted on a Southern Baptist Convention website written by a SOUTHERN BAPTIST PASTOR. I happen to agree with his thesis.

I love how people assume I'm a Liberal. How many times do I need to state that I am Apolitical?

AUUSN, are you a follower of Christ?

Yes!

Whether or not Southern Baptists have a special relationship with Liberia is, to me, a moot point.

As I read the Bible, there is no doubt that Jesus commanded us to care for the sick and the poor...period! I see nothing in His words that makes any distinctions based on nationality, race, history, or church denomination. We Christians have an obligation/duty to help (i.e., "owe") the poor and sick wherever we find them. In my opinion, that includes electing and supporting leaders that work to help the poor and the sick.

Personally, I don't see how anyone can make distinctions based on race, history, religion, or nationality when in comes to caring for the less fortunate and still call oneself Christian. But that is, of course, my interpretation and my opinion--I cannot speak for others and their interpretations/opinions.

We owe it to our fellow man to help them because that is the commandment given to us by God. That is not a matter for dispute. People want to say we owe them because of slavery or some such thing, which is absurd. That is the point most of us try to make here.

Out of curiosity, what was the official cutoff? When did we no longer have any responsibility? Or, did we do something extraordinary that constituted just compensation?

It seems to me that, simple decency would dictate acknowledging what our ancestors did to their ancestors as a part of our responsibility to our fellow man. commanded by Christ.

Christians in general should be loving, caring, giving people. Not just a particular denomination, i.e. Southern Baptist.

Archived