Auburn-Opelika News

Barnacle

Posted a picture of Treadwell's injury on the front page of the sports section, with the heading "Finding a Way". Personally, I think its appalling. I hadn't seen it mentioned here, but good grief. I hadn't agreed with any of the other "classless" accusations, but this one truly is. I won't post the picture here, but this actually has my blood boiling a bit. It makes Auburn, the newspaper, everyone look terrible, not to mention making light of what happened to Treadwell. Whoever made that decision should face some serious reckoning.

Posted a picture of Treadwell's injury on the front page of the sports section, with the heading "Finding a Way". Personally, I think its appalling. I hadn't seen it mentioned here, but good grief. I hadn't agreed with any of the other "classless" accusations, but this one truly is. I won't post the picture here, but this actually has my blood boiling a bit. It makes Auburn, the newspaper, everyone look terrible, not to mention making light of what happened to Treadwell. Whoever made that decision should face some serious reckoning.

what makes it even worse is the size of the picture. to make matters more worse they posted later that they should have made the picture smaller instead of saying they shouldnt have run it at all. sad

And it was brought to the world's attention how?

wpQfdIOz_bigger.jpeg

@
TheHoundztooth

Here is the cover of the Opelika-Auburn Newspaper. I did a black out job on his lower legs

It did happen to be the key play of the game, and injuries are a significant part of football. I guess in our overly sensitive culture this is shocking and horribly cruel. It's not like they captioned it with something to do with getting a huge break. Sigh.....

Yes, and the managing editor happens to be a Bama grad. That's weird to me that he would think it okay to run that picture. Do you think he had hurt feelings over Ole Miss beating Bama and was secretly celebrating their loss? All the way around, it was classless and unprofessional and portrays Auburn in a bad light. I don't like it at all.

And it was brought to the world's attention how?

wpQfdIOz_bigger.jpeg

@
TheHoundztooth

Here is the cover of the Opelika-Auburn Newspaper. I did a black out job on his lower legs

It did happen to be the key play of the game, and injuries are a significant part of football. I guess in our overly sensitive culture this is shocking and horribly cruel. It's not like they captioned it with something to do with getting a huge break. Sigh.....

Easy on the hyperbole. This has nothing to do with people being overly sensitive. It was tasteless, unprofessional and unnecessary. It comes off as if Auburn is celebrating his injury. Above all, it reflects poorly upon Auburn and its fans, which is also unfortunate.

It may reflect poorly (in some people's opinion) on the AO News. Only.

The outpouring of well wishes mailed directly to Laquon Treadwell will reflect accurately on the Auburn family. My card is addressed, stamped and ready to go in the mailbox in the morning. No one affiliated with Auburn University (that I'm aware of) has even intimated that they are happy that the injury occurred. However, many have expressed great joy in the ultimate outcome of that one play. I will extend the newspaper the benefit of the doubt that that is what they were trying to convey. It's not that hard to understand.

I don't believe they were featuring a picture of Treadwell's injury. They were featuring a picture of the game's biggest play. If some bammer rag wants to try to twist it, that's a bammer for you. Besides, the O-A News is not a representative of Auburn University.

I don't believe they were featuring a picture of Treadwell's injury. They were featuring a picture of the game's biggest play. If some bammer rag wants to try to twist it, that's a bammer for you. Besides, the O-A News is not a representative of Auburn University.

Not a representative, but representative by association. I'm not sure how anyone would defend it. It was a very poor choice.

It was a legal clean tackle from behind. I'm glad Auburn got the tackle, caused the fumble and recovered the ball. I'm unhappy that Treadwell got injured badly ending his season.

Football is a violent sport even when played completely within the rules using all the best equipment to protect the players.

An Auburn defensive player could have been injured that on play too. Treadwell was using maximum effort to get to the goal line. Treadwell could have fallen on the leg of the Auburn defensive player and broken it. Who would be at fault then? There is the issue of Field Turf. Would he have been injured on natural grass? Who decided to put in Field Turf? There is no fault on either side. Bad injuries happen and I hope none are permanent or keep an athlete from playing at full capacity again.

This was a legal hit and tackle by Bell at the end of the 2010 iron bowl. McElroy hit his head on the ground and suffered a concussion.

9079902-large.jpg

No one, in this thread at least is saying it was a dirty play, or that it wasn't clean. I just think a different picture would have been more appropriate. Even if they were meaning to capture the game's biggest play, which I don't doubt they were. Just because the intent was genuine doesn't mean the decision was good. Anyway, I'm clearly over stating my case.

OF all the photos taken at the game choosing this particular one was uncalled for. No reason to be so lurid. There were plenty of other big plays in the game. Heck show one of Coate's td catch. Or Payne's game winner.

Makes Auburn look stupid and insensitive you don't need that photo to sell papers in a geographically isolated area, seriously! How about the circle where the team comes together that would have been more appropriate with finding a way as a head line.

I won't argue that SI is the bastion of all that's right with sports journalism, however they didn't believe just one picture was enough. They used two still photos of the fateful play on one of their reports. Go get 'em boys....

http://www.si.com/co...?xid=nl_siextra

FWIW, growing up in AUBURN, the OPELIKA-Auburn news (O, first, office located there, too) represents a fair share of Bammer-clientele, as in many O families choose to root for Bama deliberately to dis its neighbor, the Loveliest Village. Now, if families were connected to AU, that was often different...but very different cultural bases exist between the "twin cities"...or did. The doctors and the factory workers were well-represented in Opelika, and most physicians' kids went to private schools (although you can't do much better than Auburn High, and even Opelika High has come pretty far, too). University families...profs and kids, legacy-families, plus lots of local businessmen were heavy-prevalent in Auburn back in the day. This is probably neither here nor there, because I didn't see the photo (the live version was painful enough)...but IF there is anything beyond poor taste and lack of sensitivity, houndstooth influence easily could be part of it. This is a shame, because both cities have definitely benefited by having the blessing of Auburn University "sit-chee-ated" in their midst. :wareagle:

Archived