Ellis Johnson

Ed_

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ellis is among the top 10 highest paid coordinators in the nation at $900,000. Do you think AU got $ even $90,000 worth out of him this year much less $900,000?

don't forget southern miss is still paying him $850,000 next year to NOT coach there next year

Ellis will prolly stay.

He effing better not. They need to leave the old sob in Tuscaloosa. This is on him. So was the non-loss to USCe and the ATM game.

It's not so much the losses, but the lack of recruiting. We will have a lot more of this horse manure if he stays.

Guest jojo1515

Did Elluis Make it back to the bus? 55 points to that offense is an embarrassment.

After giving up over 30 in 6 straight SEC games, he deserves the Lane Kiffin pulled off the bus and left behind treatment

Good god... I've never seen anything so bad. Cooper over the top two plays in a row and our DB doesn't even try to disrupt the route while playing press man with a lone safety over the middle. Terrible.

No one ever checked him at the line. Free released all night long. He's good, no doubt, but you know we don't have to turn him loose on every dadgum play!

But that is what we did. Explain it. I can't. Our DB's were playing man to man up close at the LOS and never made contact. They just let Cooper run his routes. Stupid and disgusting.

Yes! I started a whole thread on this. We had to stop HIM. And we made little effort to do so.

I generally buck the trend of always firing a coach when things aren't going your way. However, I'm starting to change my mind on Ellis. My biggest issue is I saw the secondary out of position and basically lost on where they should many times. In my very uneducated opinion that is coaching. It has nothing to do with the skill set of the player and everything to do with knowledge of what to do and where to be. To me that falls on the coaching.

Maybe we can do like the Dallas Cowboys did with Monty Kiffen and make EJ some type on honorary coach if Gus doesn't want to just fire him and bring in Muschamp. It's just hard for me to see Gus firing EJ b/c he's such a loyal and good man. I just wonder if Gus would be willing to do that.

I was mostly pissed on how we allowed their BEST player on defense to just run free all over the freaking field wide open. Yes Cooper is good but my goodness after he beats us for the 2nd long TD...double his azz....h3ll triple his azz if you need to. Make other players beat us!

Maybe we can do like the Dallas Cowboys did with Monty Kiffen and make EJ some type on honorary coach if Gus doesn't want to just fire him and bring in Muschamp. It's just hard for me to see Gus firing EJ b/c he's such a loyal and good man. I just wonder if Gus would be willing to do that.

I was mostly pissed on how we allowed their BEST player on defense to just run free all over the freaking field wide open. Yes Cooper is good but my goodness after he beats us for the 2nd long TD...double his azz....h3ll triple his azz if you need to. Make other players beat us!

If I were the offensively minded coach like Malzahn who just hung 44 points and 630 yards of offense against the number 1 team in the nation and coming away with a loss, I'd probably be well pissed-off enough to give EJ the boot.

If I were the offensively minded coach like Malzahn who just hung 44 points and 630 yards of offense against the number 1 team in the nation and coming away with a loss, I'd probably be well pissed-off enough to give EJ the boot.

I'm sure he is pissed. I'd just have to see it to believe it that he'd fire EJ. He'd have every right to do so....i just personally don't see Gus doing that. EJ retiring seems like our best chance for a replacement.

I'm sure he is pissed. I'd just have to see it to believe it that he'd fire EJ. He'd have every right to do so....i just personally don't see Gus doing that. EJ retiring seems like our best chance for a replacement.

Gus knows he can't keep on like this. He knows something has to change. Ellis is a good man and he may decide to just be honorable and retire.

Success breeds Success.....Failure breeds Failure

Over the past six years our defense has developed into a culture of failure. The older players pass it along to te younger players.

The only way to break this cycle is to sit or dismiss players that don't do the fundamentals properly. You may end up playing freshmen and walk ons.

CEJ is not an in your face, my way or the highway kind of guy. I am not going to play armchair head coach. That is Coach Malzahn's job. I am confident that he will get it fixed since he stands to lose the most. On paper our defensive staff looks great but obviously it is not working in producing on the field.

We are not and have not been playing Auburn Defense for a long time. We have to get back to that to compete in the SEC West.

One observation of the game last night....when AU completed those long passes, bama typically had one or two defenders all over our WR...and most of the time our WRs were having to fight their way off the line of scrimmage to get into their routes. Whereas, the bama receivers, and Lord knows Cooper is a stud, were able to break off the line, juke one defender who seemed to just wave him on... and by the time the ball was headed his way there was not an AU defender in the frame...most of Coopers receptions looked like he was out to practice.

Seems that AU is trying to play a press coverage but our DBs have no idea how to keep the opposing receiver from breaking open immediately and once Cooper had up a head of steam there was no way our DBs could keep up....and this game also showed how slow our defenders are compared to the bama receivers.....were clearly outrun in the several footraces that took place.

Smith or Harbison .....whoever is the DB coach should be gone IMO...Ellis is the top guy but the two coaches teaching the basics of defensive play are in over their heads with modern offensive football.

One observation of the game last night....when AU completed those long passes, bama typically had one or two defenders all over our WR...and most of the time our WRs were having to fight their way off the line of scrimmage to get into their routes. Whereas, the bama receivers, and Lord knows Cooper is a stud, were able to break off the line, juke one defender who seemed to just wave him on... and by the time the ball was headed his way there was not an AU defender in the frame...most of Coopers receptions looked like he was out to practice.

Seems that AU is trying to play a press coverage but our DBs have no idea how to keep the opposing receiver from breaking open immediately and once Cooper had up a head of steam there was no way our DBs could keep up....and this game also showed how slow our defenders are compared to the bama receivers.....were clearly outrun in the several footraces that took place.

Smith or Harbison .....whoever is the DB coach should be gone IMO...Ellis is the top guy but the two coaches teaching the basics of defensive play are in over their heads with modern offensive football.

The defensive backfield is split between two coaches, one for the safties and one for the cornerbacks. Harbison has the title of co defensive coordinator as well. The defensive back coaches have to be the ones to go at the very least. If Ellis goes then the that leaves a vacancy at the linebacker spot so that would mean likely three new coaches on the defensive side of the ball. You can't get rid of those two and then have to get rid of ellis next year too. Whatever changes are made, they have to be made all at once.

I hear a lot of talk about it being tough to be learning new system all the time. Well I can understand that in the first season but by year two you should have learned it pretty well and be showing signs of improvement not regressing.

I hear a lot of talk about it being tough to be learning new system all the time. Well I can understand that in the first season but by year two you should have learned it pretty well and be showing signs of improvement not regressing.

Year two of the scheme might be more confusing than Year one so that is why you can see regression. These guys have been coaching for 15,20,25 years so why we fans think every player can come pick up a scheme in a year or two is absurd. There are coaches who don't pick schemes up for YEARS and they are expected to teach the players as they are learning the same scheme. Giving guys 2 years to catch a system is a joke especially when other systems have ingrained bad habits over and over. Those bad habits don't just disappear and often ruin a guys shot at the next level.

There are a few guys every year who's talent exceeds any scheme and they excel until they land into a scheme where talent is not a factor in success and fundamentals rule (NE and Ocho cinco) . Auburn needs a defensive player so good that scheme doesn't matter and he can set the pace for the d and let the scheme take care of the rest.

THIS :-\

Year two of the scheme might be more confusing than Year one so that is why you can see regression. These guys have been coaching for 15,20,25 years so why we fans think every player can come pick up a scheme in a year or two is absurd. There are coaches who don't pick schemes up for YEARS and they are expected to teach the players as they are learning the same scheme. Giving guys 2 years to catch a system is a joke especially when other systems have ingrained bad habits over and over. Those bad habits don't just disappear and often ruin a guys shot at the next level.

There are a few guys every year who's talent exceeds any scheme and they excel until they land into a scheme where talent is not a factor in success and fundamentals rule (NE and Ocho cinco) . Auburn needs a defensive player so good that scheme doesn't matter and he can set the pace for the d and let the scheme take care of the rest.

I'm talking fundamentals here. They should be able to teach players fundamentals. Hell start with the freshmen if you have to and then by year two they will show some signs of getting better. You don't put the whole system in but the basics can be learned and by the end of year two, things should be better. Not asking for perfection here but improvement. By the logic you used then we should give Ellis 15 years. to implement his defense.

I give Smith a pass, he has always produced good corners. He said when he got here he doesn't have the type of guys he likes at corner but he has to coach up what's here. You can look and tell we don't have the type of talent at corner we need. We basically have nickel guys covering the outside. Haibson or whatever on the other hand safeties sucked at Clemson. They improved when he left....IMO Smith was the only defensive hire that made sense on paper

I give Smith a pass, he has always produced good corners. He said when he got here he doesn't have the type of guys he likes at corner but he has to coach up what's here. You can look and tell we don't have the type of talent at corner we need. We basically have nickel guys covering the outside. Haibson or whatever on the other hand safeties sucked at Clemson. They improved when he left....IMO Smith was the only defensive hire that made sense on paper

Let him take over the safeties too. No need for two men coaching the defensive backs. I'm sure somebody somewhere has two db coaches but I know of no major programs that do that.

This correctly describes CEJ's primary pass defense scheme. We either do not have the players in the secondary, or we are not coaching them. Add to that our lack of a pass rush from our front four, and the additional pressure that put on our DBs, and it explains much of our pass defense problems.

Pass rush may be an excuse for the year but I didn't see where pass rush was the problem on any of the big passes to Cooper. Or any of his wr screens he turned into nice plays

This will get handled shortly. The question is who gets hired to replace CEJ.

Personally I like D.J. Durkin, Florida's DC. He is young, was an experienced LB coach at several schools, and can handle the pressure of being Boom's DC. Is he his own man? I think so. He currently is UF's interim HC, and will coach the Gators in their bowl game. He is potentially a hot prospect.

Archived