Ellis Johnson

Ed_

Paul Rhodes, anyone?

I'd take him, assuming ISU doesn't retain him. That said, he wasn't too happy with the way Tubs was treated at the end if I recall.

ISU is giving up 37.4 points a game and is ranked 115 in scoring D.

Think about what you just said.. IOWA STATE is the key component to that statement. We get infinitely better players than Iowa State will ever get. Those numbers aren't in the least bit relevant.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I posted need to go after Robb Smith from Arkansas or their linebacker coach Randy Shannon.

Is Shannon the same guy that was at Miami a few years ago?

Yes

Hell yeah. He had some hellacious defenses there.

Paul Rhodes, anyone?

I'd take him, assuming ISU doesn't retain him. That said, he wasn't too happy with the way Tubs was treated at the end if I recall.

Think about what you just said.. IOWA STATE is the key component to that statement. We get infinitely better players than Iowa State will ever get. Those numbers aren't in the least bit relevant.

They're perhaps a bit relevant. He immediately improved ISU's defense, but the last two years they've really struggled. Don't know if that was due to losing players to graduation or what.

Paul Rhodes, anyone?

Just like 5-19 wasn't relevant because it was ISU? Gibbs has Houston's D ranked 10th in points allowed at 17.8 ppg. Do they get better players than us?

Randy Shannon should be a leading candidate for DC anywhere. He's underutilized as a LB coach. When we fired Chiz I hoped we would consider hiring RS but we ended up with one better, far better.

HIRE SHANNON !

Good call ET!

Paul Rhodes, anyone?

Just like 5-19 wasn't relevant because it was ISU? Gibbs has Houston's D ranked 10th in points allowed at 17.8 ppg. Do they get better players than us?

No, but they play worse teams.

Is it bad that I am checking every 5-10 minutes to see if EJ has been fired or retiring yet?

I don't think we're going to hear anything for a few days yet. I know A&M fired theirs the day after the season. If anyone is going to get the boot, it will happen this week.

Maybe we can do like the Dallas Cowboys did with Monty Kiffen and make EJ some type on honorary coach if Gus doesn't want to just fire him and bring in Muschamp. It's just hard for me to see Gus firing EJ b/c he's such a loyal and good man. I just wonder if Gus would be willing to do that.

I was mostly pissed on how we allowed their BEST player on defense to just run free all over the freaking field wide open. Yes Cooper is good but my goodness after he beats us for the 2nd long TD...double his azz....h3ll triple his azz if you need to. Make other players beat us!

If I were the offensively minded coach like Malzahn who just hung 44 points and 630 yards of offense against the number 1 team in the nation and coming away with a loss, I'd probably be well pissed-off enough to give EJ the boot.

I'm sure he is pissed. I'd just have to see it to believe it that he'd fire EJ. He'd have every right to do so....i just personally don't see Gus doing that. EJ retiring seems like our best chance for a replacement.

Gus knows he can't keep on like this. He knows something has to change. Ellis is a good man and he may decide to just be honorable and retire.

That's what i'm hoping for.

I'm not ready to throw Johnson out yet. I remember how bad our D has been for the past 6 years. I don't think he has had time to have his players on the field. Only one recruiting year and the DB's signed appear to be whats needed. We need to get some more help at LB and DL. Run stoppers and pass rushers. We don't have that many now and the staff has to have time to develop these freshmen. Maybe the scheme if part of the problem but I believe its a talent issue in most cases. I would offer that it may take three years of recruiting to fill the void. CM has to know that we cannot win championships unless the Offense, Defense, and Special Teams are championship caliber. Last year we had two of the three phases at championship level. This year only one. We have not been able to change field position and too many mistakes on Offense left us in bad field position many times during these last five games.

Archived