Ellis Johnson

Ed_

I give Smith a pass, he has always produced good corners. He said when he got here he doesn't have the type of guys he likes at corner but he has to coach up what's here. You can look and tell we don't have the type of talent at corner we need. We basically have nickel guys covering the outside. Haibson or whatever on the other hand safeties sucked at Clemson. They improved when he left....IMO Smith was the only defensive hire that made sense on paper

Let him take over the safeties too. No need for two men coaching the defensive backs. I'm sure somebody somewhere has two db coaches but I know of no major programs that do that.

Hard to see two coaches with over-lapping responsibilities can work for us...players are shifted around all over the defensive backfield to fill holes and guess none of the kids ever get to "specialize" in a type of coverage or get enough time working on their coverages. .It was a joke watching our guys just wave Cooper off the line and into his routes...totally running free all night. I don't know the answer of course...but it's pretty easy to see the problem ....which Sims took advantage of once he got settled down.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I give Smith a pass, he has always produced good corners. He said when he got here he doesn't have the type of guys he likes at corner but he has to coach up what's here. You can look and tell we don't have the type of talent at corner we need. We basically have nickel guys covering the outside. Haibson or whatever on the other hand safeties sucked at Clemson. They improved when he left....IMO Smith was the only defensive hire that made sense on paper

Let him take over the safeties too. No need for two men coaching the defensive backs. I'm sure somebody somewhere has two db coaches but I know of no major programs that do that.

It depends on the number of LB coaches. 4-3 teams tend to have one LB coach and two DB coaches. 3-4 teams tend to have two LB coaches and one DB coach. Oddly enough, UAT this year has no DB coach. Saban never replaced Greg Brown when Brown went to Louisville. Of course, Saban has always been the de facto DB coach at Bama.

Hard to see two coaches with over-lapping responsibilities can work for us...players are shifted around all over the defensive backfield to fill holes and guess none of the kids ever get to "specialize" in a type of coverage or get enough time working on their coverages. .It was a joke watching our guys just wave Cooper off the line and into his routes...totally running free all night. I don't know the answer of course...but it's pretty easy to see the problem ....which Sims took advantage of once he got settled down.

All the moving players around everywhere bothers me to, can we honestly say the coaches have given Hosely any type of help as being looked at as a nfl player? Is it fair to Hosely? Can he even play corner anymore because he damn sure can't tackle well enough to be an impact safety. Whitehead would have been a corner at any other school.....when was the last time you saw our defense blasting guys? Especially anybody from the secondary?

I don't believe this defense's biggest problem is schematic. These coaches are not DEMANDING results from the players. If you continue to reward piss poor tackling with playing time, you will get piss poor tackling. Same with penalties, shedding blocks, busted coverages, and just general aggressiveness and flying to the ball. If you continue to reward it you will continue to get it. When you keep playing the same guys, who keep doing the same ole crap, can you imagine how bad an attitude developes with the backups trying to win paying time? Imagine if you were a back up DB or LBer. You would have to be asking what it takes to get an honest look. Does EVERYONE on this team know why they are not getting playing time and what they must do to get it? It appears thy play the oldest and everyone waits their turn. This approach will destroy a team from the inside out. I know many will say the biggest problem is the DLine, but at least we all know how good (or bad) they are. Garner has given ALL of them the opportunity to establish themselves. Competition for playing time results in better play and attitude.

I don't believe this defense's biggest problem is schematic. These coaches are not DEMANDING results from the players. If you continue to reward piss poor tackling with playing time, you will get piss poor tackling. Same with penalties, shedding blocks, busted coverages, and just general aggressiveness and flying to the ball. If you continue to reward it you will continue to get it. When you keep playing the same guys, who keep doing the same ole crap, can you imagine how bad an attitude developes with the backups trying to win paying time? Imagine if you were a back up DB or LBer. You would have to be asking what it takes to get an honest look. Does EVERYONE on this team know why they are not getting playing time and what they must do to get it? It appears thy play the oldest and everyone waits their turn. This approach will destroy a team from the inside out. I know many will say the biggest problem is the DLine, but at least we all know how good (or bad) they are. Garner has given ALL of them the opportunity to establish themselves. Competition for playing time results in better play and attitude.

This is what I felt happened with chiz and his defenses after 2010

That's the question I've had in my mind for weeks now. If they older guys are playing this bad then bench them in favor of younger players who are more coachable. Going into the offseason and spring practice, nobody should be guaranteed a starting job. Every position is up for grabs. This better be the offseason from hell for these guys.

If all those DB's and LBers on our roster are not at least good enough for a "look", the way the starters are playing, then all the coaches should be fired for wasting scholarship money. The way playing time is awarded, we will NEVER sign another Tre Williams!

If all those DB's and LBers on our roster are not at least good enough for a "look", the way the starters are playing, then all the coaches should be fired for wasting scholarship money. The way playing time is awarded, we will NEVER sign another Tre Williams!

This is the problem very well stated. The way you make any team better is not to make your best player better but to make your worst player better. Can anyone say that happened.

This is the problem very well stated. The way you make any team better is not to make your best player better but to make your worst player better. Can anyone say that happened.

well, our LBS were the worst last year and now are much better this year. Not great, but much better.

I hope that I will live to see another Auburn defense that is intimidating, aggressive, mean. Forget about schemes, technique, and talent. As a whole, we do not like contact. It is amazing how much better an offense plays when they have no fear.

Don't overlook the recruiting aspect. That's not getting it done. Then we have first half performance vs second half all season long. Oh yes. Let's not forget the Whitehead debacle. Whatever happened there appeared to have been the turning point.

Maybe it's player attitude. Part of coaching is controlling that. Any way you slice it, this coaching staff didn't get it done this year and handed over two wins to teams that performed to a lesser level than ours. Except the defense of course.

Just got a message on my phone that Nebraska has fired Pelini. If a change at DC is made, why not look at him as well?

Just got a message on my phone that Nebraska has fired Pelini. If a change at DC is made, why not look at him as well?

Because he's a complete douchebag. And a whinyass to boot.

So what. Can he coach defense?

He was as a head coach. As a DC I don't recall him being a problem.

Two words: Poor execution.

Now, who is responsible for execution? This is where you will find your answer.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

If we're not doing what is needed IN practice, then what you get at game time is exactly what you put in.

You think a character trait changes based on one's job title?

Well, apparently it's working for Kiffin.

He has character flaws? That is what you meant by calling him a "douchebag"? Can you explain? Sorry, I thought you just didn't like his personality.

Well, apparently it's working for Kiffin.

I don't think you take the exception and make it the rule. And it's not as if Nebraska has been some defensive juggernaut with him there. They've been respectable.

Is Gus going to adopt Saban's policy of being the only one that's allowed to talk to the media so Pelini doesn't say something asinine in public? And would such a policy fix behavior like some of the stuff in this list (which includes time when he was a coordinator)?

http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/9-28-2011-bo-pelini-meltdowns

If he had been a problem when he was a coordinator, Miles would have canned his butt. Maybe they hid it well, I don't know but I don't recall any problems with him while he was an asst. coach. Nebraska isn't the Nebraska of old. They don't have the great recruiting hotbeds of places like GA and FL to work with. It's very difficult to recruit there. I'm not saying he is necessarily the guy AU should hire in the event they do move on but it's at least worth consideration.

He has character flaws? That is what you meant by calling him a "douchebag"? Can you explain? Sorry, I thought you just didn't like his personality.

A couple of links might help explain:

http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/9-28-2011-bo-pelini-meltdowns

http://deadspin.com/bo-pelini-on-nebraska-fans-****-you-fans-****-all-o-1327398903

Note, this hothead trait and inability to control oneself (which is different from simply being fiery or emotional) dates back to at least 2003.

Archived