Ellis Johnson out as Auburn Defensive coordinator

tigerbrotha12

So I wonder how long this is going to drag out.

Doubt it's very long. I bet we have someone in place in time for bowl practices.

My guess is this will be done within a couple of weeks. He could have someone named by the end of this week. I'm guessing he wants to talk to more than one candidate and he'll do that over the course of this week.

He could've been talking to candidates for a few weeks now. I doubt they just decided to fire him after last night. This might have been in the works since the TAMU loss for all we know.

He may have spoken by phone to one or two people. Really with the time constraints he would have had getting ready to play each week plus other coaches schedule it would have been difficult to have more than a initial feeler type thing to gauge interest.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was just announced a few hours ago. Good grief.

So we already announced who we hired?

I was talking about the hiring process! Good grief back attcha!

I know exactly what you meant, genius. The OPENING just occurred a few hours ago. Did you expect a replacement in 30 minutes??

Sit tight lil buddy. This one will go AU fast.

For all you Muschamp fans, don't forget that as soon as TAM fired their DC, twitter and such was ablaze that Sumlin's #1 target was Muschamp. So temper the twitter feeds and expectations, and trust in Gus. It was less than 18 hours after the end of the last regular season game and the announcement was made. Tells me he has a plan and knew before Saturday that he was going to dismiss CEJ. So he probably has some in mind and working it now. But remember what it was like when CGM was hired and it took some time to get his staff in place then. Same will happen now.

Good points

It was just announced a few hours ago. Good grief.

So we already announced who we hired?

I was talking about the hiring process! Good grief back attcha!

I know exactly what you meant, genius. The OPENING just occurred a few hours ago. Did you expect a replacement in 30 minutes??

I expected it in 30 seconds.......... :)

It was a simple question and a reasonable one, I appreciate your input.

This stuff is handled through agents anyway. I think Gus and Boom have the same agent, so Gus probably knew very quickly if there was interest there.

The initial interest is done that way. Once he knows the interested parties, he now has go talk with them face to face. They may want to come to Auburn to see the facilities and even meet with the position coaches.

I think Gus should call Tommy Tuberville he is a defensive coach and always new who the rising stars were.

What is the defense more suited to transition to (3/4, 4/3...etc ) if a 4-2-5 coordinator isn't brought in as a replacement for Ellis?

We are best suited for a 4-3. If we go 3-4, we will need to convert some DEs to OLBs.

We will be thin in DTs next year, which could make transitioning to a 3-4 somewhat easier, again if we can convert DEs to LBs. But what becomes of Lawson if we do? He either becomes a small 3-4 DE, or a big 3-4 OLB.

To me, 4-3 base, with a 4-2-5 alternate, makes the most sense. Most 4-3 teams have a 4-2-5 package for spread teams. Bama's primary alternate D is a 4-2-5 set. They have run more defensive snaps out of that set than their 3-4 set, which is not unusual given the offenses in the SECW.

The problem with CEJ was not the 4-2-5, it was his pass coverage schemes, which had little to do with the DL or the LBs.

Guest jojo1515

https://twitter.com/CoachWMuschamp/favorites

Maybe the man thought it was funny, maybe not... we'll see soon.

I saw that. Wow that's crazy either way!

That favorite by WM is spreading through Twitter like wild fire. Never seen so much pointed speculation this quick in any type of coaching search. Strange if it all turns out to be false because there is so much smoke it's hard to see who's in the room right now

Didn't someone say a plane left Auburn earlier this afternoon? Aren't there ways to track it?

Not anymore, they requested that flight information be private a few years ago. No more tracking.

Didn't someone say a plane left Auburn earlier this afternoon? Aren't there ways to track it?

Not anymore, they requested that flight information be private a few years ago. No more tracking.

Apparently the plane went to Gadsden to visit Tyler Carr, one of our recruits.

Thoughts on Garner as DC? Or is he a part of the problem?

The only advantage is he would likely have to give up coaching the entire DL. Most 4-3 teams with a DL coach as DC have another coach for DEs.

Apparently the plane went to Gadsden to visit Tyler Carr, one of our recruits.

That does make sense. I suspect he will meet with people during the course of the week.

Archived