Ellis Johnson out as Auburn Defensive coordinator

tigerbrotha12

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knowing Gus, he's already got the 99% solution. This will be taken care of before we know it.

Muschamp will not be our next DC. JJ doesn't like him.

Maybe so, but JJ is also a practical man. I think he swallows his pride and follows Gus on this one. But it's not over till it's over.

Well, I have had enough fun hanging out on this thread for one night. And while I could post several more posts laced with sarcasm and dabbed with touches of factitious wit (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating!) I think I will head to bed and leave the rest with you fine men and women.

Good night and WDE!

Jay Jacobs won't stand in the way of Gus' hire, and here's why I think that.

Jay's job was very much on the line after the Chizik hire. So much so that there was a committee formed to do his job for him. In comes Gus, Pearl, and a slew of other "home run" hires. Gus does great his first year, Jacobs looks like he's in the clear. However, Gus' success or failure is closely tied to Jacobs. Even if Jacobs doesn't like Muschamp, if Gus doesn't succeed and hires someone less than stellar and is gone after a few years, Jacobs is too.

It's job security for him to make sure Gus gets who he needs to make this thing work.

Probably a dumb statement but I don't think an assistant coach from Memphis fits the bill when there is so much riding on this hire and there are others more qualified. Then again that assumes Auburn can attract who they want.

He played, coached and recruited at Missouri prior to the Memphis job. He was a winning high school coach before his time at Missouri. He's been successful at every level.

I agree he is an excellent defensive coordinator. The problem is hiring him doesn't shore up the underwhelming defensive prospects for NSD. Muschamp has a much better chance of puliing a few big names that haven't even given us a look. I don't like his foul mouth and on field antics either. You know the saying about that guy is a jackwagon but its different when he's your jackwagon. I believe both can fix our broken defense but it speeds up the process by signing an improved defensive class this NSD. The downside with Muschamp is he will be looking to get another head coaching job in two or three years. The problem with Coach Odom is that he isn't well known enough to improve this years signing class.

We also have to remember there are a LOT of details to iron out with this transaction. Contracts etc.. But there is also the remaining and future defensive staff. The juggling of existing staff that Auburn may keep, with staff that the New coordinator(to remain nameless) wants to bring. As well as staff we may want to bring back home. Could be quite the hat trick.

Come on, who wouldnt love to see some of this on the side lines???

Ellis was fired up in that video.

Did I goof?

Sarcasm

IMO Will Muschamp is too good to pass up. JJ can get over his sissy feelings toward him for the sake of the football program. No one cares he didn't like your wife's cooking at Thanksgiving JJ.

I hope we can get muschamp, but if we cant pull off the home run hire i wouldnt be opposed to bringing chizik back. I know i know, he will not bring any excitement but he was a heck of a DC and he still lives in Auburn. It would also help AU from paying him around 5mil a year not to coach

1st time poster inspired after reading these 47 pages of dribble... Come on guys! Get coordinated! Somebody needs to cover the hotels, rental car companies, and waffle houses in the OC candidates respective cities and find out where GUS is? Seriously....

I hope we can get muschamp, but if we cant pull off the home run hire i wouldnt be opposed to bringing chizik back. I know i know, he will not bring any excitement but he was a heck of a DC and he still lives in Auburn. It would also help AU from paying him around 5mil a year not to coach

I doubt Gus agrees with you.

Archived