Ellis Johnson out as Auburn Defensive coordinator

tigerbrotha12

Well I can wait until it's official. It honestly doesn't matter much to me. There are several very good candidates out there. In spite of the fact that the fault lay more with the position coaches, Ellis had to be the one to go first. I suspect that the new DC will be wanting to make changes in position coaches. I can think of one or two that need to go.

Who? Maybe their philosophies did not mesh with EJ and his schemes, particularly the dline and safety positions ...all of three of them have had tremendous success as position coaches before...

Ellis has had a lot of success as a DC too. He had a good run at South Carolina. Harbison hasn't impressed me one bit from day one. If it is Muschamp he is a secondary guy so that would move somebody out there in all probability.

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jojo1515

Tweets like this keep popping up on Twitter....a whole heck of a lot of smoke if there is no fire....

AU FANatic (@AuburnInsider) tweeted at 9:03pm - 30 Nov 14:

All the signs are pointing towards Muschamp. Brace yourselves Auburn fans I don't think we'll be waiting long. (https://twitter.com/...5028985856?s=17)

Who is this guy and how would he know anything, credible, about the next DC hire?

Cuz it's on the inter webs.

I guess sarcasm gets lost at a time like this...

Nah, I got it bro. And I raised you one sarcasm . . . or, was it facetiousness?!!!!

Btw, I never suggested the tweet was from a credible source, just that a bunch of tweets similar to that are popping up all over twitter indicating a bunch of smoke....but no actual flame spotted as of yet

Clay Travis seems to have thought the Boom and Boom connection was a good idea back on the 16th of November, right after WM announced he would be stepping down as UF HC.

Can you imagine pairing Will Muschamp with the defense and Gus Malzahn with the offense at Auburn? Heavyweight coaching duo. (per Clay Travis' Twitter account on Nov. 16th)

Just adding to the "excitement"!

Don't forget Muschamp is a secondary type coach as far as positional so there would most likely be more changes. Meaning MS and CH may not be needed. Muschamp will want to control the secondary but I suppose he could coach linebackers. This looks much less like a real option (without firing someone else on staff)

Why do I keep seeing Barry Odom's name posted? what has he done at Memphis to make anyone think AU should get him.

Probably because he's a young up and coming coach and he has Memphis' defense ranked 7th in scoring defense (17.1 ppt) and 24th in total defense (343 yds per game). And Memphis went 9-3 this year with two of those losses to UCLA (42-35) and Ole Miss (24-3). And the Ole Miss game was only 7-3 after 3 quarters and 10-3 with 10 minutes left. They finally gave out because their offense was getting stoned vs OM.

Not saying he's the best available, but he's not going to be at Memphis too much longer if that keeps up.

His bio: http://www.gotigersgo.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/barry_odom_790354.html

Sorry if I missed this elsewhere, but what happened between Jacobs and Muschamp?

Boom likes saying G-D and M-F. JJ no likey.

Boom will probably have to clean up the language if he works with Gus. The dispute with Jacobs started with his contract while Tubby was there. That is when he left for Texas.

Guest jojo1515

Sorry if I missed this elsewhere, but what happened between Jacobs and Muschamp?

Not even close....Im hoping you forgot the sarcasm tag...

JJ played for Pat Dye. I bet he heard those words and a lot more out of Dye.

"If Muschamp is hired, that could signal a return of former Auburn defensive back and current Gator defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson, according to Zach Abolverdi of the Gainesville (Fla.) Sun:"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2284707-will-muschamp-and-auburn-is-a-great-match-should-terrify-sec?utm_campaign=tsiphone&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com

Not sure if this is generic coachspeak or if Gus already has his man:

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Malzahn-tells-commit-he-will-be-happy-with-new-DC--33429090

who were the top teams before he committed to us? Maybe will tell us something

Boom will probably have to clean up the language if he works with Gus. The dispute with Jacobs started with his contract while Tubby was there. That is when he left for Texas.

Hasn't been a requirement of Garners employment

I think it's fairly obvious the new DC has been found. It's either working out the details or waiting on other timing.

Hasn't been a requirement of Garners employment

Indeed. Garner has been known to get up in the grill of some of the players. He isn't afraid to throw out a few f bombs.

I think it's fairly obvious the new DC has been found. It's either working out the details or waiting on other timing.

If that's the case, who is it? Bill Clark or Will Muschamp? Those two are good and immediately available.

If that's the case, who is it? Bill Clark or Will Muschamp? Those two are good and immediately available.

Wish I knew!

Archived