Welcome back Coach Will Muschamp

bikeriderga

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing lots of posts by bammers on the ESPN comments section that we got a great hire. They are worried for sure. WDE!

Well, I'm glad the opening is filled but not thrilled with the hire. If Muschamp can improve this defense, then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but I'm just not sold on Muschamp like the majority of you are. We will all see what we are on defense and make a judgement from there.

I agree with you. I also think the D was poised for a breakout year next year with the talent and experience coming back.

Well, I'm glad the opening is filled but not thrilled with the hire. If Muschamp can improve this defense, then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but I'm just not sold on Muschamp like the majority of you are. We will all see what we are on defense and make a judgement from there.

I agree with you. I also think the D was poised for a breakout year next year with the talent and experience coming back.

Lol^^

Now watch our offense go into the tank.

LOL!! With Gus at the helm? Not even a remote possibility..

What this means = CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

If Auburn has a top 10 defense to go along with a top 10 offense the results are:

SEC AND NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS!

If Auburn has a top 10 defense to go along with a top 10 offense the results are:

I don't see us having that for several years. We still have holes that only recruiting will fix. That being said, we don't need a top 10 D with our O. With a serviceable D, we are 10-2, at the absolute worst, right now. I have every confidence that Muschamp will give us better than a serviceable D.

I don't see us having that for several years. We still have holes that only recruiting will fix. That being said, we don't need a top 10 D with our O. With a serviceable D, we are 10-2, at the absolute worst, right now. I have every confidence that Muschamp will give us better than a serviceable D.

I agree. I do not see a top 10 Defense next year. It will take a recruiting cycle to get the players we need to fill the gaps. We have some good defensive talent on this team, but we need some depth in areas where we will have some departing from this year's team. Top 30 next year would have us close to at least a 10-11 win season. Our offense next year is going to be potent.

Maybe two years before we crack the top 20 in defense. However, we will be much better on Defense next year.

Look for a couple of Jr College players to come on board now, to help us fill some immediate holes. But watch our weak recruiting area (prior to this announcement) becoming more of a strength.

There are going to be some recruits that will be back in play with this announcement. Expect a few flips as well. It's coming.

I am of the opinion that Muschamp will bring us some top talent that Ellis couldn't pull in. I just don't understand how you could visit Auburn and not want to play there...Although, I might be a bit biased. ;D

I am of the opinion that Muschamp will bring us some top talent that Ellis couldn't pull in. I just don't understand how you could visit Auburn and not want to play there...Although, I might be a bit biased. ;D

Ohh, I think he will bring in some studs, starting this year, but you just can't expect for true freshmen to come in and be major contributors right away. There is the exception, Lawson, but those guys are the exception and not the rule.

10-2 maybe. It depends on everything coming together right. A top ten defense would be awesome. A top 25 defense would be more than enough.

I am of the opinion that Muschamp will bring us some top talent that Ellis couldn't pull in. I just don't understand how you could visit Auburn and not want to play there...Although, I might be a bit biased. ;D/>

Ohh, I think he will bring in some studs, starting this year, but you just can't expect for true freshmen to come in and be major contributors right away. There is the exception, Lawson, but those guys are the exception and not the rule.

Did not think this would happen but sounds great.

He should be able to bring some talent which we sorely need...just hope he stays with us long enough to see the young guys developed.

Wonder what he will do for staff ?....JMO but that was more of an issue the past two seasons than EJ...just bad fundamentals.

Lol^^

Laugh it up fuzzball, the fact still remains the same that pieces missing from defense this year are coming back and that changes the dynamic of the defense and puts us in a better position for next year. Our backend took some solid lumps this year but will have extra experience for next year, I am going to assume the LBs are coming back their draft stock isn't that high, so we will have solid LB group, d line might be a ? but in the end we get Carl back and that opens up opportunity for others on the line but if our backend is better the line doesn't need to make a quantum leap forward.

I am not saying we didn't need a coaching change, ha by no means. no we need to ax harbinson and then ellis but I expect you would have seen marked improvement from whomever came in because the D is ready to take the next step. As for breakout year, I am not talking top 10, I am talking something respectable and much better than this year. We have 6 seniors on the 2 deep, with only 3 starting, If you are counting 5 freshman and 5 Sophomores, 2 soph starting (would have been 3 with Carl). We also had at least 1 FR start as well this year.

Take emotion out of it and look at it as a coach you will see the game differently.

Lol^^

Laugh it up fuzzball, the fact still remains the same that pieces missing from defense this year are coming back and that changes the dynamic of the defense and puts us in a better position for next year. Our backend took some solid lumps this year but will have extra experience for next year, I am going to assume the LBs are coming back their draft stock isn't that high, so we will have solid LB group, d line might be a ? but in the end we get Carl back and that opens up opportunity for others on the line but if our backend is better the line doesn't need to make a quantum leap forward.

I am not saying we didn't need a coaching change, ha by no means. no we need to ax harbinson and then ellis but I expect you would have seen marked improvement from whomever came in because the D is ready to take the next step. As for breakout year, I am not talking top 10, I am talking something respectable and much better than this year. We have 6 seniors on the 2 deep, with only 3 starting, If you are counting 5 freshman and 5 Sophomores, 2 soph starting (would have been 3 with Carl). We also had at least 1 FR start as well this year.

Take emotion out of it and look at it as a coach you will see the game differently.

As for Boom, just not sure that was the right play at this time. He needs to mentor someone while he is hear to take his place when he leaves in 2 years.

It is reported that it says in small print on Muschamps contract that he must wear a sweater vest.

. . . more likely a sweat shirt with the arms ripped off (will not say a WB)

Soon as the defense plays well people will start saying it wasn't muschamp it's because Lawson came back from injury

Lol^^

Good post. I agree that no matter what happened we were going to be better on d. I think a change needed to be made and am thrilled to have CWM.

Lol^^

They weren't going to get a lot better with that current staff. They were sorely lacking in fundamentals. They actually regressed in that area. We had a lot of experience, especially in the secondary but they played as if they were freshmen and the backups never got any PT which is baffling. There are some talented players there. Now if WM can come in and get the fundamentals and attitude changed around then we will be good.

DL play has to improve and not just the defensive ends. The interior linemen have to get better. This is going to be an offseason from hell for the defense and really for the entire team as well. They need it. Got to be hungry to want to erase that bad taste of the last half of this season. It starts with Wisconsin. Don't know how much he can do for that game but we'll see.

Lol^^

They weren't going to get a lot better with that current staff. They were sorely lacking in fundamentals. They actually regressed in that area. We had a lot of experience, especially in the secondary but they played as if they were freshmen and the backups never got any PT which is baffling. There are some talented players there. Now if WM can come in and get the fundamentals and attitude changed around then we will be good.

DL play has to improve and not just the defensive ends. The interior linemen have to get better. This is going to be an offseason from hell for the defense and really for the entire team as well. They need it. Got to be hungry to want to erase that bad taste of the last half of this season. It starts with Wisconsin. Don't know how much he can do for that game but we'll see.

Maybe that but there were other problems that have not been revealed but something happened mid-season that changed the performance of the defensive unit....Whitehead or who knows but it was not the same team the second half of the season. There is a real opportunity for improvement...if we just get back to where we where early in the season.

Archived