Welcome back Coach Will Muschamp

bikeriderga

Well, I'm glad the opening is filled but not thrilled with the hire. If Muschamp can improve this defense, then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but I'm just not sold on Muschamp like the majority of you are. We will all see what we are on defense and make a judgement from there.

I agree with you. I also think the D was poised for a breakout year next year with the talent and experience coming back.

Lol^^

Laugh it up fuzzball, the fact still remains the same that pieces missing from defense this year are coming back and that changes the dynamic of the defense and puts us in a better position for next year. Our backend took some solid lumps this year but will have extra experience for next year, I am going to assume the LBs are coming back their draft stock isn't that high, so we will have solid LB group, d line might be a ? but in the end we get Carl back and that opens up opportunity for others on the line but if our backend is better the line doesn't need to make a quantum leap forward.

I am not saying we didn't need a coaching change, ha by no means. no we need to ax harbinson and then ellis but I expect you would have seen marked improvement from whomever came in because the D is ready to take the next step. As for breakout year, I am not talking top 10, I am talking something respectable and much better than this year. We have 6 seniors on the 2 deep, with only 3 starting, If you are counting 5 freshman and 5 Sophomores, 2 soph starting (would have been 3 with Carl). We also had at least 1 FR start as well this year.

Take emotion out of it and look at it as a coach you will see the game differently.

They weren't going to get a lot better with that current staff. They were sorely lacking in fundamentals. They actually regressed in that area. We had a lot of experience, especially in the secondary but they played as if they were freshmen and the backups never got any PT which is baffling. There are some talented players there. Now if WM can come in and get the fundamentals and attitude changed around then we will be good.

DL play has to improve and not just the defensive ends. The interior linemen have to get better. This is going to be an offseason from hell for the defense and really for the entire team as well. They need it. Got to be hungry to want to erase that bad taste of the last half of this season. It starts with Wisconsin. Don't know how much he can do for that game but we'll see.

Thank u!! Regardless of what expierience players were coming back, they still needed to be coached up! Something the previous coach couldn't do. Hate it that some don't see it, but that's just the way it is. If cej had stayed, not only would we be mediocre on d, we would also be mediocre when recruiting players for the defense. Not so with the present coach, as some were blaming talent as the reason we were so poor on defense. It was from a percentage standpoint of 85% coaching and 15% talent. Regardless of what talent u have, a good coach can have his team to at least be fundamentally sound, something we were NOT with cej. Prepare to see a better defensive effort in the bowl game from the defensive side of the ball. It's just gonna give u a taste of what's to come in the years from this day forward with only a matter of weeks for this team to learn how to be fundamentally sound with muschamp.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm glad the opening is filled but not thrilled with the hire. If Muschamp can improve this defense, then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong, but I'm just not sold on Muschamp like the majority of you are. We will all see what we are on defense and make a judgement from there.

I agree with you. I also think the D was poised for a breakout year next year with the talent and experience coming back.

Lol^^

Laugh it up fuzzball, the fact still remains the same that pieces missing from defense this year are coming back and that changes the dynamic of the defense and puts us in a better position for next year. Our backend took some solid lumps this year but will have extra experience for next year, I am going to assume the LBs are coming back their draft stock isn't that high, so we will have solid LB group, d line might be a ? but in the end we get Carl back and that opens up opportunity for others on the line but if our backend is better the line doesn't need to make a quantum leap forward.

I am not saying we didn't need a coaching change, ha by no means. no we need to ax harbinson and then ellis but I expect you would have seen marked improvement from whomever came in because the D is ready to take the next step. As for breakout year, I am not talking top 10, I am talking something respectable and much better than this year. We have 6 seniors on the 2 deep, with only 3 starting, If you are counting 5 freshman and 5 Sophomores, 2 soph starting (would have been 3 with Carl). We also had at least 1 FR start as well this year.

Take emotion out of it and look at it as a coach you will see the game differently.

They weren't going to get a lot better with that current staff. They were sorely lacking in fundamentals. They actually regressed in that area. We had a lot of experience, especially in the secondary but they played as if they were freshmen and the backups never got any PT which is baffling. There are some talented players there. Now if WM can come in and get the fundamentals and attitude changed around then we will be good.

DL play has to improve and not just the defensive ends. The interior linemen have to get better. This is going to be an offseason from hell for the defense and really for the entire team as well. They need it. Got to be hungry to want to erase that bad taste of the last half of this season. It starts with Wisconsin. Don't know how much he can do for that game but we'll see.

Maybe that but there were other problems that have not been revealed but something happened mid-season that changed the performance of the defensive unit....Whitehead or who knows but it was not the same team the second half of the season. There is a real opportunity for improvement...if we just get back to where we where early in the season.

Part of the early season success was due to the fact that we were playing offensively challenged teams. They were one dimensional and didn't have much of a passing threat. Outside of the UGA game the run defense was good. Spurrier exposed our weaknesses and everyone else just followed suit. There was something else too like you said. I guess we'll never know exactly what went on with Whitehead and what effect that had.

Guest jojo1515

I thought this was a Will Muschamp thread.....turns out it is an old tired argue about whether the old staff would have improved next year or not thread. Some people are absolutely impossible to please and may need to do everyone a favor and jump ship....geez what a bunch of killjoys

Oh yeah, we got freaking Will Muschamp as our DC and he is bringing TRob with him!! Not only our quality of coaches improved, but D recruiting should take a giant leap from very below average for the SEC to top of the line. That alone is a program changer!

Did I really just read somebody calling somebody else a fuzz ball? I love this board

Yes sir u did see it. It normally happens a lot when I disagree with certain posters. It's all good though, can't take my joy of FINALLY getting a good dcoordinator and great recruiter at AU!! Man it feels good

Did I really just read somebody calling somebody else a fuzz ball? I love this board

Yes sir u did see it. It normally happens a lot when I disagree with certain posters. It's all good though, can't take my joy of FINALLY getting a good dcoordinator and great recruiter at AU!! Man it feels good

Yeah I know you wanted this pretty bad. I made a few calls for you, merry Christmas brother, my gift is boom is back. You can thank me through PayPal!

Lack of BASIC fundamentals were CLEAR for all to see. The reason? I do not know. It was more than obvious D coaches had to go. Gus got his clear cut 1st choice last night. CWM has my 100% support. He and this TEAM should expect nothing less from AU men and women.

Lack of BASIC fundamentals were CLEAR for all to see. The reason? I do not know. It was more than obvious D coaches had to go. Gus got his clear cut 1st choice last night. CWM has my 100% support. He and this TEAM should expect nothing less from AU men and women.

He does. This hire has the fanbase very excited for the future.

Yeah I know you wanted this pretty bad. I made a few calls for you, merry Christmas brother, my gift is boom is back. You can thank me through PayPal!

Thank u very much! Trust me, he is well worth it! WDE

I read somewhere the press conference was at 10 am today.....

is it on TV?

SEC Network at 10:30 CST, I do believe

Archived