Play calling DID NOT lose this game!

DivisionN

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to chuckle at the "cub reporter" announcers of the game when they talked about all of the yards gained against this "good Auburn defense."

I've seen many "good Auburn defenses" and this "ain't" one of 'em.

Look: Since Gus got here in 2009 his offense has ALWAYS hit flat spots. See the '09 Kentucky game for an entire flat game. Usually we win anyway, but those flat spots aren't going away. Predictable plays are only bad when the defense stops them. Often Gus's predictable plays work anyway. When we get a defense on the field that can hold people to below 30 points we'll be big winners with Gus's play calling. Until then it won't matter what plays are called.

Well we got away with those flat spots before. This season we couldn't do it. I am not giving anybody a pass for this. He has to be accountable for that. He has to improve on the way he runs his offense. I can't tell you how many times I've had to sit through games we should have won comfortably that ended up being close because he took his foot off the gas.

When your defense can't stop anybody, the best way to win is get a lead and slow the offense down late in the game. I don't have a problem with taking your foot off the gas when the defense is atrocious.

No that's a sure fire way to lose a game like that. When your defense is atrocious you keep the foot on the gas because you know the defense is not capable of holding the lead.

Lets each get us a team and play it out! :) Taking 30+ seconds off the clock every snap when you have a late lead is how to win. A couple first downs keeps your best unit (offense) on the field until the game is over. We won the 2010 Iron Bowl by slowing down after we took the lead, for example.

We didn't take the lead until late in the 4th qtr. We had a defense that, for all the yards they gave up, was capable of stopping a team from scoring. Bama wasn't a team that was an offensive juggernaut that year. The defense last year and this year couldn't stop a 1A high school team from scoring. You don't do it in the middle of the third qtr when the other team has plenty of time to get the momentum and come back. That is what happened against UGA last year. You can argue the touchdown by Murray but the fact that it even came down to that was due in part to Gus taking his foot off the gas. He did the same thing against FSU and it contributed to losing that game.

Man Im torn on this argument, I have watched a team like Oregon keep the pedal to the metal and win games comfortably because they did so but most of my football watching life I have seen teams get a lead and sit on it and win that way too. Maybe a good balance between the two? I don't know.

Look: Since Gus got here in 2009 his offense has ALWAYS hit flat spots. See the '09 Kentucky game for an entire flat game. Usually we win anyway, but those flat spots aren't going away. Predictable plays are only bad when the defense stops them. Often Gus's predictable plays work anyway. When we get a defense on the field that can hold people to below 30 points we'll be big winners with Gus's play calling. Until then it won't matter what plays are called.

Well we got away with those flat spots before. This season we couldn't do it. I am not giving anybody a pass for this. He has to be accountable for that. He has to improve on the way he runs his offense. I can't tell you how many times I've had to sit through games we should have won comfortably that ended up being close because he took his foot off the gas.

When your defense can't stop anybody, the best way to win is get a lead and slow the offense down late in the game. I don't have a problem with taking your foot off the gas when the defense is atrocious.

Exactly. Hard to go full throttle when you afraid the defense thatjust got on the bench after surrendering another score is going to give up another. Next year when our defense is respectable, hopefully, we will be able to run the offense at a higher pace.

No that's a sure fire way to lose a game like that. When your defense is atrocious you keep the foot on the gas because you know the defense is not capable of holding the lead.

Lets each get us a team and play it out! :) Taking 30+ seconds off the clock every snap when you have a late lead is how to win. A couple first downs keeps your best unit (offense) on the field until the game is over. We won the 2010 Iron Bowl by slowing down after we took the lead, for example.

We didn't take the lead until late in the 4th qtr. We had a defense that, for all the yards they gave up, was capable of stopping a team from scoring. Bama wasn't a team that was an offensive juggernaut that year. The defense last year and this year couldn't stop a 1A high school team from scoring. You don't do it in the middle of the third qtr when the other team has plenty of time to get the momentum and come back. That is what happened against UGA last year. You can argue the touchdown by Murray but the fact that it even came down to that was due in part to Gus taking his foot off the gas. He did the same thing against FSU and it contributed to losing that game.

Man Im torn on this argument, I have watched a team like Oregon keep the pedal to the metal and win games comfortably because they did so but most of my football watching life I have seen teams get a lead and sit on it and win that way too. Maybe a good balance between the two? I don't know.

There is a time to do it. There is a balance. Gus has a habit of doing it too soon, in the middle of the third qtr. As much as people grated on him for doing it, Spurrier kept running his normal offense even when he had his backups in the game. Don't worry about running the score up. It's their job to stop you. When your offense is based around going at a fast pace, slowing it down takes you out of what you do best and makes you less likely to be effective. It is like a team going to the prevent defense. It's a prevent offense. The only thing it prevents you from doing is winning.

There was enough blame to go around. I do think Gus has had times this year he gets lost with his offense. He tends to go away from what is working. We had Whisky tired going in to OT we should have continued using CAP and the running game instead of getting fancy. I do not blame the kicker. He is a freshman and was put in a stressful situation. We actually got minus yards and forced him to kick a 44 yarder. I don't what else we could have done on defense. The whole scheme was a failure all year, that is why Ellis was canned. There just wasn't much we could do to change it before the bowl game. Gus has started the process to fix the defense. I think on offense Gus needs to spend the offseason watching Oregon offense. This is the HUNH we need to be. JMO. WDE

I listened to AU radio as I watched the game and heard two knowledgeable ex-players break down what was happening. We lost because our defense played poor fundamental football and gave up cheap long drives and a touchdown run that should have be a 2 yard gain. That being said, our lb's learned how to fill a hole and not over-run plays toward the end of the game, the D stiffened, and we had a chance to win. The calls made by Gus in OT were bizarre, and I think resulted from his not trusting 14 to throw downfield.

I listened to AU radio as I watched the game and heard two knowledgeable ex-players break down what was happening. We lost because our defense played poor fundamental football and gave up cheap long drives and a touchdown run that should have be a 2 yard gain. That being said, our lb's learned how to fill a hole and not over-run plays toward the end of the game, the D stiffened, and we had a chance to win. The calls made by Gus in OT were bizarre, and I think resulted from his not trusting 14 to throw downfield.

I think most if not all experts would agree.

That's weird because throwing downfield is the strength of NM when it comes to passing. The defense is by far the biggest culprit but you can't exonerate Gus and the offense completely.

The tunnel screen to the 'short side' of the field has been a disaster ALL year. There is NO defending that call. The 'pass back' to Marshall was just not executed well. It was set up and was a good call...execution was not good.

What he said. :clap:/>

wisky was camping that play call. They stayed home and were well disciplined. I wouldnt say it didnt work due to execution as much as wisky just beat it. Even if we blocked well it wouldnt have gotten the first down, if that makes sense.

I've heard people here bash our defense for giving up 30 points. Then I see those same people bash Gus and our offense because we only scored 30. Make up your mind. Seriously there were about 5 or 6 really good offenses in the SEC this year and we had one of those. The defense was bad, but hopefully Muschamp will help with that. Seriously, don't just come on here and rant. Think about what you are saying.

Mikey, you might be right about slowing down to win in 2919, but that was because we had Cam who would keep making the 1st downs and keep the drives alive. By the same token slowing down has cost other games. 2009 we led the last 10 minutes but tried to do the slowdown and kept giving uat the chance to come back, which they did with a minute plus left. Same thing in the 2014 IB. As soon as we went up two scores in the third our defense held and the offense came in running the slowdown mode and went 3 and out the next couple of possessions and let uat catch up and get the momentum that we could never get back. Biggest problem with slowing down is you take the offense out of their normal routine and that creates havoc. I agree with the Old Ball coach when someone was riding him about running up the score on people, he said every time he sends his offense on the field their objective is to score and should be. WDE

I've heard people here bash our defense for giving up 30 points. Then I see those same people bash Gus and our offense because we only scored 30. Make up your mind. Seriously there were about 5 or 6 really good offenses in the SEC this year and we had one of those. The defense was bad, but hopefully Muschamp will help with that. Seriously, don't just come on here and rant. Think about what you are saying.

Ok there is a difference between what has been said about the defense and the offense. The offense has been productive but in certain situations they have contributed to the problems. He tends to outsmart himself sometimes. He does, at times, take his foot off the gas too soon. He is a great offensive mind and I'm tickled to have him but he does have things he has to get better at.

I'm sorry but play calling DID lose this game for Auburn. The 3 plays in OT were absolutely the worst calls of the game. Auburn had just got done spending the entire 4th quarter when on offense moving the ball very well by running the ball and passing down field. That stupid tunnel screen had not worked all game the previous 2 times it was called so why the hell would you call it again? Wisky was not over pursuing they stayed home all game long so the draw play with no run blocking was awful too!! And finally that awful throw back play....... what the hell was he thinking? We needed yards for a 1st down or at a minimum no chance at losing any more yards! You either concede the FG and run a designed running play with our line run-blocking to the kickers preferred side or middle, OR you throw a quick slant to one of our big guys over the middle. Either play would have been better than those 3.

Ok there is a difference between what has been said about the defense and the offense. The offense has been productive but in certain situations they have contributed to the problems. He tends to outsmart himself sometimes. He does, at times, take his foot off the gas too soon. He is a great offensive mind and I'm tickled to have him but he does have things he has to get better at.

Go back and watch Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl last year. When you play against a good defense you can't just sit there and "take what the defense is giving" the whole time. You become predictable and the defense gets to dictate what you do. Wisconsin had an elite defense this year. You can sit here and oversimplify by saying that Gus is making bad playcalls, but ultimately if Gus had decided to throw downfield in overtime and it didn't work you same people would be asking why we didn't try to run the ball or throw a short pass.

Whomever was calling the plays at the end of close games this year did this on numerous occasions, got too cute or tricky and away from what was working for no reason.

Go back and watch Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl last year. When you play against a good defense you can't just sit there and "take what the defense is giving" the whole time. You become predictable and the defense gets to dictate what you do. Wisconsin had an elite defense this year. You can sit here and oversimplify by saying that Gus is making bad playcalls, but ultimately if Gus had decided to throw downfield in overtime and it didn't work you same people would be asking why we didn't try to run the ball or throw a short pass.

Look at what we had done in that game. We had success offensively by running the ball and throwing downfield,not by running trick plays. We had had success the entire 4th qtr and then he completely abandons what had been working for trick plays. Comparing what happened yesterday to what Seattle did to Peyton is laughable. You couldn't have picked any to examples more different from each other. Why does the offense always get a pass because we have an "offensive genius" as the head coach? I love Gus but I have seen several head scratching play calls out of him. Three straight runs right up the gut would have been preferable to that.

That's weird because throwing downfield is the strength of NM when it comes to passing. The defense is by far the biggest culprit but you can't exonerate Gus and the offense completely.

Nick is good with the deep ball, but accuracy across the middle (which is what was available) has always been less of a strength. Also, Gus was obviously frustrated with Bray for the drops, he didn't have Duke, and Coates was hobbled. I think all that contributed to Gus going away from what he said on radio at halftime, "We have to hurt them with the pass".

Look at what we had done in that game. We had success offensively by running the ball and throwing downfield,not by running trick plays. Comparing what happened yesterday to what Seattle did to Peyton is laughable. You couldn't have picked any to examples more different from each other. Why does the offense always get a pass because we have an "offensive genius" as the head coach?

Gus doesn't get a pass, but unless you start being more realistic, it's probably better that you stop watching now. You don't get to be the best team in college football every year. Regardless, we have a very good offense. God help us if Gus runs off before he finishes building what we have here... unless you know of someone better who is going to drop everything to come here.

Look at what we had done in that game. We had success offensively by running the ball and throwing downfield,not by running trick plays. Comparing what happened yesterday to what Seattle did to Peyton is laughable. You couldn't have picked any to examples more different from each other. Why does the offense always get a pass because we have an "offensive genius" as the head coach?

Gus doesn't get a pass, but unless you start being more realistic, it's probably better that you stop watching now. You don't get to be the best team in college football every year. Regardless, we have a very good offense. God help us if Gus runs off before he finishes building what we have here... unless you know of someone better who is going to drop everything to come here.

Where did I ever say I wanted to run Gus off? You are reading things that aren't there. I know you don't get to be the best team every year. My whole point is that people want to just lay everything at the feet of the defense and Gus gets a free pass, which is what this entire thread has been about from most people. Any criticism of Gus is taken for wanting to run him off and accusing him of being a bad coach. I've heard of teflon but this is ridiculous. Defense was by far the biggest problem but to abandon what had been working on offense to go for trick plays just cannot be overlooked.

Where did I ever say I wanted to run Gus off? You are reading things that aren't there. I know you don't get to be the best team every year. My whole point is that people want to just lay everything at the feet of the defense and Gus gets a free pass, which is what this entire thread has been about from most people. Any criticism of Gus is taken for wanting to run him off and accusing him of being a bad coach. I've heard of teflon but this is ridiculous. Defense was by far the biggest problem but to abandon what had been working on offense to go for trick plays just cannot be overlooked.

Gus has led two offenses to a National Title game. He is the only offensive coach in recent memory that has won a national title while hampered by not having an elite defense. I think I will take his opinion of what a good play call is over yours any day.

I'm sorry but play calling DID lose this game for Auburn. The 3 plays in OT were absolutely the worst calls of the game. Auburn had just got done spending the entire 4th quarter when on offense moving the ball very well by running the ball and passing down field. That stupid tunnel screen had not worked all game the previous 2 times it was called so why the hell would you call it again? Wisky was not over pursuing they stayed home all game long so the draw play with no run blocking was awful too!! And finally that awful throw back play....... what the hell was he thinking? We needed yards for a 1st down or at a minimum no chance at losing any more yards! You either concede the FG and run a designed running play with our line run-blocking to the kickers preferred side or middle, OR you throw a quick slant to one of our big guys over the middle. Either play would have been better than those 3.

Yep. In this case, the D gave us the opportunity to win holding Wisc to a FG in OT. The offensive genius had the opportunity to show his genius and we took a big dump. No one is perfect...I hope we learn from it...but this has been a 3 year issue.

The third down play before we got the PI call on 4th down was another head scratcher as well. Wisconsin bailed us out on that one. Simple fact is without some gifts from Wisconsin in the form of three turnovers, we don't even get to OT. You can play this game of we scored more on them than everybody except one team all day long but this offense has not been at it's best several times this year. It was a contributing factor in some of those losses, including that one yesterday. It wasn't the sole factor but it was one factor to be sure. In the world of college football today scoring 30 plus points a game is not unique nor always good enough. Take it for what it's worth but it is what it is.

Archived