Play calling DID NOT lose this game!

DivisionN

We had a converted DB as a QB

Our 2 best WRs were either out or gimpy

We lost 2 stellar blockers to the NFL after last season

Injuries across the board

A recent player death

A defense that couldn't stop anything

All that being said, we were the 4th best team in our division playing the Conference Runner-Up from another Power 5 conference and lost by 3 in OT. Back away from the ledge people.

+1

This exactly. My wife had to work New Years Day. When she called to ask how it went I told her pretty much this exact quote.

Was the play calling in overtime suspect at best? Of course. I doubt anyone would doubt that, even CGM. Next year our offense will look totally different. Next season his play book will be able to be opened up more as we will have a NFL caliber talent behind center.

Lastly, Melvin Gordon was 292 yards away from breaking Barry Sanders all time rushing record for a season of 2628 yards. With our atrocious defense, did anyone HONESTLY think we were going to stop that freight train? Sure rush defense was the only even half way respectful phase of the defense, but after Georgia, even that phase of our defense was getting laughable. I mean sure I have no doubt everyone of us reading this WANTED us to win. But take the Orange and Blue glasses off and think realistically. We havent been able to stop a 1A girls football team post A&M... We were playing a very good football team. We could of scored more, but requiring the offense to score 50 a game is what got Johnson canned, and got us paying HC money for a DC.

We were leading with under 13 seconds to a team that had a running back with 2,336 yards rushing entering the game, despite the defense. Let that sink in. Oh and 2 other quick tidbits. For those of you blaming the offense, we never punted after halftime... and for #2, Gordon finished 41 yards short of the record.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A recent player death

All that being said, we were the 4th best team in our division playing the Conference Runner-Up from another Power 5 conference and lost by 3 in OT. Back away from the ledge people.

+1

This exactly. My wife had to work New Years Day. When she called to ask how it went I told her pretty much this exact quote.

Was the play calling in overtime suspect at best? Of course. I doubt anyone would doubt that, even CGM. Next year our offense will look totally different. Next season his play book will be able to be opened up more as we will have a NFL caliber talent behind center.

Lastly, Melvin Gordon was 292 yards away from breaking Barry Sanders all time rushing record for a season of 2628 yards. With our atrocious defense, did anyone HONESTLY think we were going to stop that freight train? Sure rush defense was the only even half way respectful phase of the defense, but after Georgia, even that phase of our defense was getting laughable. I mean sure I have no doubt everyone of us reading this WANTED us to win. But take the Orange and Blue glasses off and think realistically. We havent been able to stop a 1A girls football team post A&M... We were playing a very good football team. We could of scored more, but requiring the offense to score 50 a game is what got Johnson canned, and got us paying HC money for a DC.

We were leading with under 13 seconds to a team that had a running back with 2,336 yards rushing entering the game, despite the defense. Let that sink in. Oh and 2 other quick tidbits. For those of you blaming the offense, we never punted after halftime... and for #2, Gordon finished 41 yards short of the record.

I know we hadn't punted after halftime That is precisely the point. Gus decided to go away from what had been working and get cute in the OT. He does that at least once in nearly every game. Not saying the offense and play calling lost the game by itself but it was a contributing factor. Quite frankly, if Wisconsin doesn't make three equally bad play calls and turn the ball over, we don't even make it to OT. I feel like I have to make disclaimer every time I bring these points up but I don't want to run Gus off or anything like that.

The converted db at qb makes no sense when the qb is easily one of the best in the nation and is the reason for many of your wins

It kind of does, and maybe Marshall is one of the best QBs in the South, but nationwide, he doesn't garner that type of respect. And you are correct, NM was the reason for some wins. But on the same token, we lost some due to his inaccuracies. Nick had 2 throws, 5 yards or 30+ yards. There was very little outside of that. He simply was not accurate enough. Sure he was electric. He was a play maker. The team the last 2 years has been HIS team. There are droves of qualities he possesses, but that doesn't negate the fact that he had a REAL problem putting it where he wanted too. He hits wide open Sammie in the BCS Championship last year, maybe we win, who knows.

Cole, there is a reason he is projected as a DB at the next level. Its almost like CGM is still in HS mode as far as NM... get the best athlete on your roster, put him at QB and sit back and watch the video game stats accumulate, then when he gets to the next level, they can teach him a new position.....

Long story short, while NM definitely won us some games, but his accuracy definitely left room for improvement...

A recent player death

+1

I know we hadn't punted after halftime That is precisely the point. Gus decided to go away from what had been working and get cute in the OT. He does that at least once in nearly every game. Not saying the offense and play calling lost the game by itself but it was a contributing factor. Quite frankly, if Wisconsin doesn't make three equally bad play calls and turn the ball over, we don't even make it to OT. I feel like I have to make disclaimer every time I bring these points up but I don't want to run Gus off or anything like that.

No worries. I didnt mean that at all. I wasnt even talking about you at all. I was more talking about the whole back away from the ledge. The sky isnt falling yet some of you guys act like it is...

The amount of posters handling the Gus situation with kid gloves is laughable. His playcalling cost them the game in overtime. I can't believe this is up for debate. The DEFENSE held Wisconsin's POTENT 21st ranked offense to a FG and Auburn's HIGH POTENT 16th ranked offense managed - 3 yards on three bogus play calls. Everything that happened prior to that point was moot.

Auburn's offense might be a little misleading because they were going up against SEC defenses. Had they been playing against teams from other power five conferences, they probably wouldn't have been so lucky. Conversely, thank god Auburn's defense was going up against SEC offenses or it would have been much worse.

Yep. Unless you face the horror; you can't/won't make needed changes for the future. Now is the time to be very objective and critical on both sides of the ball.

The amount of posters handling the Gus situation with kid gloves is laughable. His playcalling cost them the game in overtime. I can't believe this is up for debate. The DEFENSE held Wisconsin's POTENT 21st ranked offense to a FG and Auburn's HIGH POTENT 16th ranked offense managed - 3 yards on three bogus play calls. Everything that happened prior to that point was moot.

Auburn's offense might be a little misleading because they were going up against SEC defenses. Had they been playing against teams from other power five conferences, they probably wouldn't have been so lucky. Conversely, thank god Auburn's defense was going up against SEC offenses or it would have been much worse.

Yep. Unless you face the horror; you can't/won't make needed changes for the future. Now is the time to be very objective and critical on both sides of the ball.

We've fallen for the "offensive genius" tag with Gus. He is a tremendous offensive mind but he has a very stubborn streak about him. That can be good but sometimes it works against you. He also has a tendency to outsmart himself and do things like what happened in the OT against Wisconsin. He has things to learn just like we all do in our own profession. I think some of us view him like the turds view Saban, as infallible.

We've fallen for the "offensive genius" tag with Gus. He is a tremendous offensive mind but he has a very stubborn streak about him. That can be good but sometimes it works against you. He also has a tendency to outsmart himself and do things like what happened in the OT against Wisconsin. He has things to learn just like we all do in our own profession. I think some of us view him like the turds view Saban, as infallible.

I agree with the stubborn part. CGM insists on sticking to his plan (stay the course) even when things go bad. The solution he preferred this year is keep running it until we execute better and get it perfected. Last year we seemed to keep everyone guessing who had the ball or what we were doing (including the announcers).

Im not sure about the offensive genius part but I would go along with the idea that he is definitely a great offensive innovator.That may qualify for genius with some but I tend to think Gus is still learning to coach at this level. I have no doubt he'll get there but with the success we had in only his 2nd season as a HFC I could be easily persuaded to think our expectations may not have been that realistic this, his 3rd season, given our losses on both sides of the ball.

Lets rebuild our talent on both sides of the LOS and get them playing at a CS level and we'll be much better than good.

Bunch of arm chair analysts trying to tell a guy who started from skid row in coaching to becoming a championship HS coach, championship asst coach in SEC, BCS Title as an OC, coached a heisman winner, QB coach 1st pick in NFL draft, SEC Championship head coach, National Championship game in year one (with a good DC he wins it all) and countless coaching awards from his peers and sports writers. Please excuse me if I am ok with Gus doing things his way, stubborn or not it has worked well for him thus far.

The converted db at qb makes no sense when the qb is easily one of the best in the nation and is the reason for many of your wins

It kind of does, and maybe Marshall is one of the best QBs in the South, but nationwide, he doesn't garner that type of respect. And you are correct, NM was the reason for some wins. But on the same token, we lost some due to his inaccuracies. Nick had 2 throws, 5 yards or 30+ yards. There was very little outside of that. He simply was not accurate enough. Sure he was electric. He was a play maker. The team the last 2 years has been HIS team. There are droves of qualities he possesses, but that doesn't negate the fact that he had a REAL problem putting it where he wanted too. He hits wide open Sammie in the BCS Championship last year, maybe we win, who knows.

Cole, there is a reason he is projected as a DB at the next level. Its almost like CGM is still in HS mode as far as NM... get the best athlete on your roster, put him at QB and sit back and watch the video game stats accumulate, then when he gets to the next level, they can teach him a new position.....

Long story short, while NM definitely won us some games, but his accuracy definitely left room for improvement...

What games did we lose because of him. Nobody said he was perfect but the statement db at qb like he held the team back is a joke. There were a million problems with the offense and Marshall would be at the very end of that list

Whether we scored 31 points, 14 points, or 60 points, we need to speed up the offense (ala Oregon), and become less predictable. We broke tendencies against Bama, which is why we put up 650 yards.

We also had Duke in the IB which made the passing game more successful. Duke made some catches NO other AU receiver would have made. They had to cover him which made Sammy more successful.

It wasn't DC that lost BCS championship game. That might have been the best defensive game of the year. Special teams lost that game.

Not if u give up 27 pts, and pretty much let them walk down the field on last drive. I agree the players had a solid performance, but the scheme and defensive calls could have been better IMO

What games did we lose because of him. Nobody said he was perfect but the statement db at qb like he held the team back is a joke. There were a million problems with the offense and Marshall would be at the very end of that list

I agree with that. Mostly. But you cant argue the fact that he has very little intermediate passing game. If he did, there wouldn't of been so many missed opportunities because of over/under thrown passes to wide open receivers. However, in your defense, he preformed at a world class level in 2013. The read option with he and Tre was darn near unstoppable. So what I mean by that is that CGM could of put Nick in better positions this year by running the offense we had last season. But he didn't. It was almost like CGM wanted to prove to everyone he COULD turn that DB into a pocket passer.

Getting back on point, I feel you are mostly correct in that the "DB at QB" didn't hold down this offense THAT much.

Yeah he missed some throws, they dropped lots of his throws as well, you can't name a qb that didn't miss throws and when talking about Nick it's not like he missed a lot of those. You say so many but I challenge you to find out how. Hell you wouldn't know anything about him being a db if it wasn't told to you. In actuality he has more experience at qb than any other position. Answer this question how many intermediate routes did you see from cam and Chris Todd?

That DB @ QB was one of the very best Auburn has ever had. if you compare his Jr and Sr seasons as QB @ Auburn to Pat Sullivans Jr and Sr seasons you'll see that.

Sullivan passing...349comp/606attempts = 57.5% 4848 yds

38 TDs, 25 INTs

rushed 336 yards and another 11 TDs

49 total TDs

Marshall passing.. 320comp/532 attempts =60.1% 4408 yds

34TDs, 13INTs

rushed for 1866 yds and another 33 TDs

67 total TDs

Pat Sullivan is revered by most to be at or very near the top of ALL QBs in Auburn football history but I have to tell you, based on production alone, I'd have to take NM ahead of PS. There is always so much hairsplitting about NM's weaknesses while clearly his strengths are conveniently ignored. Dude was a baller, bigtime

http://espn.go.com/c...1/nick-marshall

Heisman Memorial Trophy Winner (1971)

Passing Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate Career Auburn 472 863 54.7 6534 7.6 6.7 54 41 129.4 1969 Auburn SEC QB 10 123 257 47.9 1686 6.6 5.0 16 16 111.1 1970 Auburn SEC QB 10 167 281 59.4 2586 9.2 8.5 17 12 148.2 *1971 Auburn SEC QB 11 182 325 56.0 2262 7.0 6.5 21 13 127.8

Archived