Play calling DID NOT lose this game!

DivisionN

Sure, Gus is kicking himself right now, but we had enough offense to win, especially since we did not have the ball a lot. This loss falls squarely on the defense. The Muschamp era cannot start soon enough for me. I think we see an attitude change. Will is going to weed out the weak, the dumb and the egotistical. It will not be an immediate process and we are going to have to be patient BUT by the end of next season I think we see a completely different Auburn team. We are going to have an EDGE. If Muschamp catches guys counting thier NFL cash, they can do it from the bench!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Play calling didn't win it either. We needed 6 to win. The D came through, albeit surprisingly. 1 play for a loss and then two slow developing lateral plays later we would have been better off taking a knee 3 times and lining it up for the kicker instead of losing yardage and field position. I'm not blaming it on Gus. Whisky plays their butts off. Just disappointed. Won't matter if we have a more consistent D.

Sure, Gus is kicking himself right now, but we had enough offense to win, especially since we did not have the ball a lot. This loss falls squarely on the defense. The Muschamp era cannot start soon enough for me. I think we see an attitude change. Will is going to weed out the weak, the dumb and the egotistical. It will not be an immediate process and we are going to have to be patient BUT by the end of next season I think we see a completely different Auburn team. We are going to have an EDGE. If Muschamp catches guys counting thier NFL cash, they can do it from the bench!

AU 1st half O 2-6 Wisc 1-6

AU 2nd half O 3-4 Wisc- 4-5

Iffy play calling in OT, but D held their own the first half. Offense had plenty of time to build a lead. All in all it was a team loss, only 1 phase showed up per half, D in the 1st, O in the second.

Not all calls work all the time. When they do, people call it awesome play calling. When it doesn't, they call it bad play calling. Auburn took some chances on offense. some of them paid off. The throw back pass was a good call in OT. poor blocking ruined it.

Not all calls work all the time. When they do, people call it awesome play calling. When it doesn't, they call it bad play calling. Auburn took some chances on offense. some of them paid off. The throw back pass was a good call in OT. poor blocking ruined it.

On 3rd down thats not a good call because they are looking for trickery, if it had been on 2nd down thats a different story, but to run a tunnel screen that they had stuffed all day on 2nd down then run that it was just iffy.

That last drive was abhorrent. Hated every play really. That double pass was an exclamatory point. Even if we were rolling from time to time, we'd make a series of bad play calls and end up punting. Then there's the whole first half which aside from a 66 yard TD, it was a waste.

Everyone has known all season that this defense is bad and that's quite aggressively being addressed.

I hope no one on staff who can make a change buys into this fantasy that all is well with the offense. Gus, or whoever is calling the plays, is choking. This game wasn't the first time.

The game went to overtime.

Play calling was terrible in overtime.

Thus play calling helped in large measure to the lose the game.

By the way Gus is responsible for the defense too.

Defense is, and has been, awful. That fact has been WELL established. Rehashing it is more than redundant.

When the game was on the line, the offensive playing calling was questionable at best and inexcusable at worst. The bubble screen should be stricken from the playbook. And, the double pass/trick play looked amateurish.

Cannot agree with you on this.

It absolutely did. Just as it has with other losses this year. The decision to abandon the option while utilizing an option QB is definite a play calling fail.

Many times the ball should have been pulled and taken by NM. At some point, the play calling must have eliminated that option.

That caused us to lose our identity.

Once again I thought the play calling was suspect especially in OT. 3 plays for negative yards??? Gus the Offensive mastermind*...

*except inside the 20 yard line.

31 points, 435 yds of offense, 5.4 YPC. Defense and penalties cost us another game.

Going 2-6 in the first half while holding Wisc to 1-6 and multiple turnovers cost us the game too.

Offense cannot be held blameless. We have had the same issues on defense all year. The offense knows going in what they have to do. You have to make every possession count. The offense has failed at critical times this year.

31 points, 435 yds of offense, 5.4 YPC. Defense and penalties cost us another game.

Going 2-6 in the first half while holding Wisc to 1-6 and multiple turnovers cost us the game too.

Defense did good job the first half. Second half not so much. Two of those turnovers occured at the 5 too. Wisconsin cost themselves more points than anything. I'm sorry but I just see this as yet another game of the offense doing what they could, while the defense fell by the wayside.

Defense did good job the first half. Second half not so much. Two of those turnovers occured at the 5 too. Wisconsin cost themselves more points than anything. I'm sorry but I just see this as yet another game of the offense doing what they could, while the defense fell by the wayside.

true the defense played the second half like they played the second half of the season, like crap. However, they did what they needed to in ot. Play calling cost us ot. However, there is enough blame to go on everyone for the whole game. Thus I say wisky was just better

Poor blocking ruined a lot of plays today.. and all season. Just not consistent. At least we have plenty of good competition for spots on the O-line next year so maybe we can iron this out.

Poor blocking ruined a lot of plays today.. and all season. Just not consistent. At least we have plenty of good competition for spots on the O-line next year so maybe we can iron this out.

Offense cannot be held blameless. We have had the same issues on defense all year. The offense knows going in what they have to do. You have to make every possession count. The offense has failed at critical times this year.

True. We had to be a team that lived on offense. The South Carolina game showed this. But even good offense won't win if your defense is a total suck-fest (see Iron Bowl).

Blocking has been an issue all year long just like the defense. It isn't like we've been able to do all these things the entire year and it just all of a sudden fell apart this game.

Auburn O 5-10 50% Wisc O 5-11 45% at the end of regulation. Going into OT AU O: 4 TD's 1 FG, Wisc O: 4 TD's 1 FG. Wisc gets a FG, AU O doesnt gain a single yard on very curious playcalling after the 1st down play and misses a FG. Thats also why the missed FG earlier in the game was killer here as well, Like I said it was a team loss. I dont blame one unit, I blame everybody

Archived