Tolerance is not enough, you must submit

TitanTiger

I understand his position,and respect it but like another poster I think there is more to it. Plus when you are told to do your job you usually have to do it. Or call in sick.

Or do as he did.

I would have no problem performing security for a gay parade because that would be my job and I don't hate gays. Not going to march.

I would protect people who participate in race based parades but I will not stand beside them and march.

I would protect an abortion rights parade but I could not perform and smile about it.

It's not all that unusual for people to have normal duties but when something a bit off the beaten path or out of the ordinary comes up that causes some personal conflict, to ask for an accommodation. It doesn't mean the boss has to grant it, but it's not wrong or being a bad employee to request it. It certainly didn't warrant the escalation that the chief initiated on it. He could have simply turned down the request and let that be it. Then the ball is in the officer's court...comply or resign. I think that's unfair, but not illegal necessarily. Instead he chose to take the man's badge over it.

And as I said about there 'being more to it'....the story has been out for 8 months. Only now did the officer come forward to tell his side. The other side has been the only one talking. And this chief hardly comes off as the type that's concerned about the bigot's feelings such that he'd keep any pertinent details that bolster his course of action out of the narrative.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand his position,and respect it but like another poster I think there is more to it. Plus when you are told to do your job you usually have to do it. Or call in sick.

Or do as he did.

I would have no problem performing security for a gay parade because that would be my job and I don't hate gays. Not going to march.

I would protect people who participate in race based parades but I will not stand beside them and march.

I would protect an abortion rights parade but I could not perform and smile about it.

he performs this 300 times a year. By this time he view it as his job just as he does performing security. He was riding a motorcycle . I doubt he was asked to wear assless chaps and lipstick or hold up a gay pride sign.

Be that as it may, it just makes me sad that so many Pharisees frequent this forum.

And it makes me exasperated that you deem yourself an accurate arbiter of who is a Pharisee and who really understands grace and Christian doctrine. So I guess we're even.

Be that as it may, it just makes me sad that so many Pharisees frequent this forum.

Yeah, there ought to be a law against 'em, huh?

Let me throw something out. If I was asked to march in a Gay parade in uniform, would I do it? Yes and doing so doesn't mean I agree with their lifestyle. It's a chance to recruit, community involvement and the other intangibles that come with interacting with a group of people.

Brother, being IN UNIFORM at a Gay Pride Parade can only realistically be described as one of two things:

1) Setting yourself up to get sexually harrassed by the other parade members.

2) Trolling.

I have friends in the NSFW Steel City Centurions NSFW, sigh, and i will let you google that one.

I have friends in the Steel City Centurions, sigh, and i will let you google that one.

And have that show up on my computer ??

Hell - naw !!!

:roflol:

It likely never came up before. Just as I imagine that people in various lines of work such as being a photographer never imagined when they opened their studio 15 years ago and booked some wedding gigs that they'd be confronted with doing photo shoots for gay weddings. It just never occurred to them.

Again, this didn't have to be a big deal. His request was not unreasonable or something that created some great burden on the police department. It only became a big deal because his chief decided that the bigotry detector stick shoved up his butt had sounded off and he needed to bring the offending party to heel.

Concur. It did seem rather draconian to call him in, remove his badge and send him home. That leads me to believe that this event was the straw that broke the back, otherwise, this officer has a good case of wrongful termination especially if he requested special accommodation before and was granted.

I have friends in the Steel City Centurions, sigh, and i will let you google that one.

And have that show up on my computer ??

Hell - naw !!!

:roflol:

Agreed.

Let me throw something out. If I was asked to march in a Gay parade in uniform, would I do it? Yes and doing so doesn't mean I agree with their lifestyle. It's a chance to recruit, community involvement and the other intangibles that come with interacting with a group of people.

Brother, being IN UNIFORM at a Gay Pride Parade can only realistically be described as one of two things:

2) Trolling.

I have friends in the NSFW Steel City Centurion NSFW, sigh, and i will let you google that one.

I disagree. san1.jpg

And it makes me exasperated that you deem yourself an accurate arbiter of who is a Pharisee and who really understands grace and Christian doctrine. So I guess we're even.

Call it as I see it. And from what I have seen you post, you are clueless of what Grace really means.

Call it as I see it. And from what I have seen you post, you are clueless of what Grace really means.

Your opinion is noted. From what I've seen of your posts, I think you are much less theologically astute than you think you are on this subject. Just calling it like I see it.

2) Trolling.

I have friends in the NSFW Steel City Centurion NSFW, sigh, and i will let you google that one.

I disagree. san1.jpg

I was trying to be humorous. If i failed, sorry.

I completely understand your thinking and actually support it.

i was active duty was when the 6 sailors held a fantail party on one of the carriers mid Atlantic.

Sickening...

2) Trolling.

I disagree. san1.jpg

i was active duty was when the 6 sailors held a fantail party on one of the carriers mid Atlantic.

Sickening...

Sorry brother. My sarcasm filter is broken. I'll get a CASREP submitted ASAP. ;D

2) Trolling.

I disagree. san1.jpg

Sickening...

Sorry brother. My sarcasm filter is broken. I'll get a CASREP submitted ASAP. ;D

:big:

Your opinion is noted. From what I've seen of your posts, I think you are much less theologically astute than you think you are on this subject. Just calling it like I see it.

And the Pharisees were so much more "astute" than Jesus weren't they. No wonder He called them whitewashed tombs. Typical response again.

And the Pharisees were so much more "astute" than Jesus weren't they. No wonder He called them whitewashed tombs. Typical response again.

Actually, no, they weren't. Which is why His answers so often confounded them. Jesus showed so much understanding even at a young age that the scribes and Pharisees marveled.

Again with the air of superiority, Weegs. Dare I say...'Pharisaical' even?

Look, this is all fun but I'm not going to continue sidetracking yet another thread with your Law/Grace hobby horse. You have a theological take and that's your right. The officer in question has a different one and having that different take doesn't make him, or anyone that supports his view, a Pharisee or someone who "doesn't get it." So this tangent is closed.

Weegs you speak of Grace but you have no grace for the ones that don't want to be a part of these things. You actually support the idea of forcing them go against their beliefs. Now you may hold that they have a wrong belief and that is fine but telling them they have to violate what they believe and participate in such an event is not grace in any shape manner or form.

Didn't this officer join the team knowing that he would be asked to participate in functions that the group participates in? I'll admit that the Chief was a little fast on the trigger, yanking the guy's equipment, but he was a team member.

Didn't this officer join the team knowing that he would be asked to participate in functions that the group participates in? I'll admit that the Chief was a little fast on the trigger, yanking the guy's equipment, but he was a team member.

As I mentioned, something of this nature likely never came up before. When he signed up they probably typically rode in rather innocuous events like July 4th and Veterans Day parades and the like.

Again, this didn't have to be a big deal. His request was not unreasonable or something that created some great burden on the police department. It only became a big deal because his chief decided that the bigotry detector stick shoved up his butt had sounded off and he needed to bring the offending party to heel.

And it was a request. The chief jumped straight from "I can't fulfill this request" to "Simply for asking such a thing, you are now branded as a bigot that can't be trusted to perform the duties of a police officer."

As I mentioned, something of this nature likely never came up before. When he signed up they probably typically rode in rather innocuous events like July 4th and Veterans Day parades and the like.

And it was a request. The chief jumped straight from "I can't fulfill this request" to "Simply for asking such a thing, you are now branded as a bigot that can't be trusted to perform the duties of a police officer."

Like I said. I don't think we are getting the full story.

This reminds me of when the "helper dog" story was first coming out.

The difference being, the "helper dog" story came out within 2 hours of the incident. We're barely past a week since that happened and there has been a response.

This issue with the SLC police officer happened in June 2014. The police dept side has been the only one talking for 8 months. The officer in question just resigned and moved on until a newspaper investigation uncovered his identity. So he finally gave his side of events.

The difference being, the "helper dog" story came out within 2 hours of the incident. We're barely past a week since that happened and there has been a response.

This issue with the SLC police officer happened in June 2014. The police dept side has been the only one talking for 8 months. The officer in question just resigned and moved on until a newspaper investigation uncovered his identity. So he finally gave his side of events.

Well, I know you are wanting to see this the way it's being portrayed, but it sounds fishy to me.

If the policy of providing "drill team" shows exists and the "Gay Pride" parade qualifies, then the guy should certainly have been removed from the motorcycle squad. But to fire an otherwise good officer for this alone, doesn't sound right. I suspect it's more likely being used as an excuse to get rid of him.

Anyone who would take a moral stand on something like this likely has other issues. Course, that's just my opinion.

Archived