Muschamp discusses linebacker position

metafour

@ ~10:07

"Right now in our scheme we're playing over 70, close to 80% the last two years, maybe three years of Nickel or Dime...its just where the game has gone. Everybody talks about numbers of Linebackers on scholarship, I mean, at the end of the day you're primarily playing with two inside Backers and then you're playing with five and six DB's. In a perfect world you need probably 8 total Mike's and Will's on scholarship, as far as thats concerned as far as your numbers, cause you need as many pass rushers as you can find, as many big guys up front as you can find, and you gotta have secondary guys and enough guys that can cover in the slot for us and what we do schematically."

:jossun:

In before Mikey's repeated claim that we need 12+ Pro Bowl linebackers on scholarship at all times; 4+ signed in every single class, 18 guys that are ready to play on any given day, etc. etc. etc.

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ ~10:07

"Right now in our scheme we're playing over 70, close to 80% the last two years, maybe three years of Nickel or Dime...its just where the game has gone. Everybody talks about numbers of Linebackers on scholarship, I mean, at the end of the day you're primarily playing with two inside Backers and then you're playing with five and six DB's. In a perfect world you need probably 8 total Mike's and Will's on scholarship, as far as thats concerned as far as your numbers, cause you need as many pass rushers as you can find, as many big guys up front as you can find, and you gotta have secondary guys and enough guys that can cover in the slot for us and what we do schematically."

:jossun:

In before Mikey's repeated claim that we need 12+ Pro Bowl linebackers on scholarship at all times; 4+ signed in every single class, 18 guys that are ready to play on any given day, etc. etc. etc.

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Thanks for the cred metafour. It's not often that you say something nice about someone. I'll settle for two LB's that might scare up a vote or two for something outlandish such as (dare we hope?) second team all-SEC? Until then we need to sign three or four a year, maybe one or two of them will even pan out.

PS: It doesn't matter if we have 38 LB's on scholarship. Until two or three of them are good enough to start for Vandy we need to keep on trying. The four we signed this year are a good start. On average, one or two of them will pan out so as I say, this year's four signees is a start.

To some degree, I suppose he's correct. Outside of Frost and McKinzy, we haven't even had linebackers with potential in a while, much less being respected and having proven ability.

I don't feel we have to sign over 9000 LBs every class just to hope we eventually get a boom though

Really can't fault Mikey's logic here, guys.

He's saying we need 3 or 4 quality LBs signed every year because of the success rate is around 50%.

Boom says we need 8 or so on the roster.

That adds up.

? It's good that Mikey can take a joke. The same joke, over and over.

To some degree, I suppose he's correct. Outside of Frost and McKinzy, we haven't even had linebackers with potential in a while, much less being respected and having proven ability.

I don't feel we have to sign over 9000 LBs every class just to hope we eventually get a boom though

Tre Williams doesn't have potential?

Thanks for the cred metafour. It's not often that you say something nice about someone. I'll settle for two LB's that might scare up a vote or two for something outlandish such as (dare we hope?) second team all-SEC? Until then we need to sign three or four a year, maybe one or two of them will even pan out.

PS: It doesn't matter if we have 38 LB's on scholarship. Until two or three of them are good enough to start for Vandy we need to keep on trying. The four we signed this year are a good start. On average, one or two of them will pan out so as I say, this year's four signees is a start.

:bow:

I agree with Mikey. I don't care if the team runs a bunch of nickel. Base it out of a 4-3 or 3-4, then "adjust." Don't go out there and say you are going to run a 4-2. We had complete atrophy in LB recruiting under Johnson. LBs are the QBs of the defense.

Tre Williams doesn't have potential?

Of course he does, but even he only = 1!! Is he supposed to play more than one position? And every single down? Unless D. Davis pans out, Tre represents 1 SEC quality High School LB signed since forever, up until 2015.

Cass/Frost didn't even play LB in HS, except occasionally, I don't think.

No, we've had complete atrophy since Tubs left. How come he was able to take lower rated guys and make them great? Consistency!!!! Consistency in coaching is what our guys need. Although Mikey hammers his point he always forgets that after the year of recruiting comes 4 to 5 years of coaching. Having one Defensive coordinator for that long is a big deal. But hey, Kris Frost hasn't seen a total of 4 DCs since he's been here.

So you just keep throwing bodies at one (singular) problem till fixed?

Seems there's disconnect in logic somewhere. Gus's offensives have been effective because of judicious use of available talent. He's tailored the program around the facts at hand, and not based on wishes or preferred scheme. Here's to hoping Coach Will is equally as savvy, because these "if a frog had wings" arguments seem to have a high failure rate. Personally I'm glad to hear he's not as far removed (coach speak aside) from being able to produce results....or has a plan that doesn't require half a defense squad of LB's.... as some seem to preach.

LBs with potential should include more than Tre Williams. Geez. I'm sometimes pessimistic, but that's outlandish.

In the last four years, we've signed Cass McKinzy, Javiere Mitchell, Cameron Toney (moved back to defense at Muschamp's request), Deshaun Davis (entering his redshirt freshman season), Tre Williams, Jeff Holland, Richard McBryde, and Darrell Williams. Plus, a swing guy like Montavious Atkinson.

I'd say we've signed more than one high school LB with potential in recent years. It's a way too early to write the obits for guys like Toney and Davis, and it may be too early to write off Mitchell's career if he can stay healthy. You certainly can't ignore the haul we had this season.

We haven't killed LB recruiting, but it isn't as bleak as folks sometimes make it out to be either. McKinzy, Tre Williams, and this year's class alone would make a decent signing history. If Mitchell, Toney, Davis or Moncrief (now at LB) or Flowers have a solid year, we'll have plenty to depth to mix with McKinzy, Frost, Garrett, and Williams without getting anything from the incoming freshmen (which I think some of those guys are going to play).

I think getting ran and passed all over the last 4 or 5 years has hurt recruiting more than anything

Archived