Mike Currier, Cousin of WannabeAUMom

DKW 86

I was at that game in 1968. I was 13 at the time. It was a double-header day at Legion Field. Bama played LSU in the afternoon and AU played UT that night. UT was ranked #4 (or something close) at the time and only needed a victory over 21-point underdog Auburn to clinch an Orange Bowl invitation. I believe OB officials were at the game in order to issue the official invitation after UT's victory, which never happened. Currier scored 3 TD's in the first half as AU went up 21-0 (we won 28-14). After each TD, he threw the football up into the stands, which infuriated Shug but apparently was not against the rules.

I remember that night very well; it was the night I offically became a fan of Auburn football. Listening to a huge underdog Auburn team demolish Tennesse that night is what Auburn football came to mean to me. That unpredictable '68 team was a direct link to the success over the next four years.

Believe it or not, I was there also. I graduated high school that year and my dad got tickets and took me to the game. It was simply unbelievable. We dominated the first half and played level with them in the second half. I believe that Dewey Warren (SwampRat) was UT's QB. It was one of the few games he was contained. They still had some UA/LSU stuff littered in the stands. The best game was the night game. What an upset. The UA/LSU game was hyped all week and our game was an afterthought. It was a great graduation present.

I was there. It seems like yesterday :au:

Guys like Mike Currier and Terry Henley aren't ever listed among our top RBs but they probably had more sheer guts than some of our better known ones. :au:

Gosh, How time flies! I was at the Bammer-LSU , AU -UT games too. I remember one thing about Coach Jordan, he couldn't pronounce CURRIER worth a Damn. He called him Kerrior. ha. It was a great win..... WDE!

Count one more attendee for that AU-UT game. My friend Flash and I borrowed someone's apartment for the weekend. We had LSU jersies that we got from Russell, and wore them during the first game, to no avail. I recall it was a little rainy, so I had an umbrella at the game. Tim Christian got the last TD on a 49-yard pass from Loran Carter.

There are two other backs who each scored 3 TDs in one game against UT - Kenny Burks in '74 and Kyle Collins in '84.

Archived