Softball vs. Tennessee - game 1

It seemed clear to me that she never touched first on her way to back toward the bag and then broke to second. Seemed like a heads up move by an experienced player. She is a first baseman and I would guess she would know the rule ... I didnt

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

time wasn't called...Rhodes came back to the bag at 1st and touched it then advanced to 2nd and was immediately called out. I believe if she hadn't retouched 1st she would have been ok. Someone with better rule knowledge of softball will have to chime in on that one. I'll try to look it up later.

The umpire blew the call. If time had been called, she would have been sent back to 1st. She never retouched 1st base after running through on the fielder's choice. The ball was live. That was a play we used when I coached if we thought we had a pitcher and infield that weren't paying attention.

Yes she did retouch first. It was very clear on the replay that after she overran the bag at 1st, she went to the base, then broke for second. The only angle we had of the play was the camera behind home plate and it looked abundantly clear to me that she touched the base again. I have no idea if re-touching the base before breaking for 2nd is what got her called out or not. I'm trying to find it in the rule book, but not having any luck.

Wrong, my friend. She never retouched 1st Base. You need to watch the replay again. She is clearly behind the bag when she breaks for 2nd. I tried to post the screen shot but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

We will just have to agree to disagree. The box score says she was out because SHE LEFT EARLY. If that was the case then (in the umpires view at 1st) she had to retouch the base. The only other thing it could have been would if time had been called but I don't think that was the case. whatever the explanation was, let's just hope its accurate and consistent so we don't get called on it should we try it again. Does retouching the base prohibit the runner from then attempting to advance in that situation? I just don't know the rule there.

JMO but from what I saw, the ump got caught napping and just did not know what to call....so called an out.

And like the nitpicking on a couple players getting caught off base. That stuff happens regularly at all levels of baseball and softball....so why are people making such a deal of it here? it was a mistake, it happened...so just learn from it and move on.

AU is playing great softball this year, some outstanding defense and I find it hard to understand the petty complaining about an occasional mistake. There is no perfection in life...and certainly on the sports field.

Archived