2015 Spring Practice - Day 9

RunInRed

The Tigers held their ninth spring practice today and the biggest takeaway is an apparent minor issue with the right leg of D'haquille Williams.

The senior wide receiver has been stretched out on the side before today's practice, and last week as well. During full stretches it was evident that Williams, who has been practicing all spring, was unable to do as much with the right leg as the left.

Again, this is a minor issue, probably a hamstring or calf strain, but it hasn't even kept him off the field that we know of so don't overreact quite yet. We'll seek clarification from Gus Malzahn after practice.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/auburnauthority/2015/04/07/spring-practice-observations-day-9/25423487/

On the injury front ...

• Cornerback Jonathan Jones (foot) was not in shoulder pads. His injury continues to limit him in contact drills.

• Defensive back Tim Irvin (left hand) and receiver Stanton Truitt (shoulder) continue to wear non-contact jerseys.

• OL Jordan Diamond, who had been limited at times earlier this spring, participated in sled drill.

• Defensive end DaVonte Lambert continues to work to the side as he rehabilitates his surgically-repaired knee.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/04/auburn_practice_report_updatin.html

So a couple of observations...

1) It is really nice to have an ex-QB coaching WRs. This gives them an accurate idea of what the QB is going to be thinking and looking for and he can still make all the throws.

2) Grimes is really short. I mean he barely came to the chest of most of those guys.

3) The DL will have a new attitude this year. I can feel it.

WR Jason Smith ...

Jason Smith talking to media members for the first time. Said it "wasn't tough" making the decision to move to receiver full-time.

@wareagleextra

Jason Smith talking to media members for the first time. Said it "wasn't tough" making the decision to move to receiver full-time.

@AUBlog

Jason Smith says he’s expecting to play some Wildcat; Tigers might not get to that package unitl August

@JoelAEricksonAU

LB Tre Williams ...

Williams on his goals this year: Provide more. ... Help the Auburn Tigers go farther.

Tre' Williams: Coach Muschamp wants us to know *everything* so I'm working at the Will and the Mike (linebacker spots)

@AUBlog

Auburn linebacker Tre' Williams on Will Muschamp: "His intensity is all the way up here all the time."

@AUGoldMine

Tre' Williams on Will Muschamp: "His intensity is all the way up here ... " *puts hand above head* " .. all the time. And I love it."

@wareagleextra

Tre' Williams on Will Muschamp: "If he doesn't yell at you it means something is wrong."

@JamesCrepea

DB Nick Ruffin ...

Nick Ruffin just said it's been a "very enlightening spring." (First time I can ever recall a player using the word "enlightening.")

@wareagleextra

Ruffin: I'm kinda a perfectionist. I expect to be the best in the country. We have the talent and the coaches to be the best in the country

Ruffin: Defensively, we're progressing, but we've got a long way to go.

Ruffin: I've had my fair share of encounters with Jason Smith so far. He's going to be a great one.

@AUBlog

OC Rhett Lashlee ...

Auburn O-coordinator Rhett Lashlee: "We're getting to the point a lot of our base core offense is in. I like the work we're getting done."

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee says defensive intensity in last scrimmage was at "all-time high since I've been here. That makes both sides better."

Auburn H-backs Kamryn Pettway, Chandler Cox have been a "big bright spot," says Rhett Lashlee. "Really been pleased with both those guys."

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee says Jeremy Johnson, Sean White "have been solid." For final 6 practices they did to go "from being steady to great."

@AUGoldMine

Lashlee on the defense: "You can tell they've got a pep in their step."

Lashlee said Will Muschamp's "energy and the way they swarm" has impressed him the most.

Lashlee doesn't have an ideal playing weight for Jason Smith, who's now listed at 178. Wants him to get as big as he can w/o losing speed.

Lashlee says Kamryn Pettway is a bit further along physically compared to Chandler Cox -- "as it should be," he notes.

@wareagleextra

Lashlee on Muschamp's defense: Most important thing is they play with great effort and fly around.

Lashlee: Jason Smith is transitioning well at WR. Will sitll have a QB role -- whether emergency QB or a special package, remains to be seen

Lashlee: Tony Stevens isn't where he needs to be. Needs to be an "every-play, every-down guy." Has responded well, though.

Lashlee: Saw some in-scrimmage things from Austin Golson that were promising, but Xavier Dampeer has also had a good spring. Snaps are good.

Lashlee: Roc Thomas needs to work on running downhill more. Jovon Robinson did some good things. All three were good in pass protection.

@AUBlog

Lashlee says Alex Kozan has been practicing with limited contact since return from break

Lashlee clarifies something he told ESPN. Auburn wants to take 8 deep passing shots per game, then hit whatever it can.

Lashlee wants QBs to take "next step from being steady to being great."

Lashlee says Roc Thomas had some good runs but did too much shifty moves and not enough downhill yards

@JamesCrepea

Want to name a starting quarterback at end of spring? "I don't really have a preference one way or the other," says Rhett Lashlee.

@bmarcello

Auburn Rhett Lashlee says "no one has earned the spot" at the QB position. Says Jeremy Johnson is very capable of running zone read

@jzenor

Any extra stretching from Duke WIlliams in practice is just wear and tear of spring, Lashlee says

@JoelAEricksonAU

Roc has indeed put on the muscle poundage. Big freak.

Was going to make the same observation, Weegs. Roc is looking strong.

"The Tigers held their ninth spring practice today and the biggest takeaway is an apparent minor issue with the right leg of D'haquille Williams."

Always heavy to see anything involving injury + Duke WIlliams

"The Tigers held their ninth spring practice today and the biggest takeaway is an apparent minor issue with the right leg of D'haquille Williams."

Always heavy to see anything involving injury + Duke WIlliams

Rhett Lashlee: "There's no issues there. He's just tight. A lot of guys are tight at this point."

I love hearing RL comments on the defense. Hopefully it can help the offense bring it to another level as well.

and man it's weird seeing lance in orange and blue.

War eagle!

Archived