2015 Spring Practice - Day 14 (A-Day)

RunInRed

image.jpg

Look who I ran into Saturday. Was very down to earth, and said he was ready! I am standing a step below him, so it doesn't give you a good idea of his size. I am 6'-02", and he was at least 2" taller than me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We signed a few guys who will never get carded in Cowart and Montavious Atkinson lol

You can add Prince Tega to that list as well. My goodness they all are huge!

Jeremy Johnson ...

CC5fgUzUEAAHOGi.jpg

via @FootballAU

What in heck is Jeremy looking at?

He's looking at the ball. A lot of quarterbacks after marking their target will set their eyes on their release point during the throw. When I was in high school they tried to teach us to never take your eyes off the target, but its habitual like most mechanics.

Also, the angle of this picture, and the fact that he's clearly throwing the ball deep make it hard to tell if that's the case at all. He may be looking at the target, its just hard to keep your head level and pointed at the receiver when you are having to tilt your entire body to throw a deep ball. Here is a picture of Drew Brees throwing deep as an example:

new_orleans_drew_brees-266.jpg

Drew Breeze is looking in the direction he is throwing. Jeremy is not.

And maybe you are right about looking at the release point - which is what Jeremy looks to be doing - but it makes no sense to me.

We signed a few guys who will never get carded in Cowart and Montavious Atkinson lol

You can add Prince Tega to that list as well. My goodness they all are huge!

And Montavious Atkinson, that dude looks 40.

Jeremy Johnson ...

CC5fgUzUEAAHOGi.jpg

via @FootballAU

What in heck is Jeremy looking at?

He's looking at the ball. A lot of quarterbacks after marking their target will set their eyes on their release point during the throw. When I was in high school they tried to teach us to never take your eyes off the target, but its habitual like most mechanics.

Also, the angle of this picture, and the fact that he's clearly throwing the ball deep make it hard to tell if that's the case at all. He may be looking at the target, its just hard to keep your head level and pointed at the receiver when you are having to tilt your entire body to throw a deep ball. Here is a picture of Drew Brees throwing deep as an example:

new_orleans_drew_brees-266.jpg

Drew Breeze is looking in the direction he is throwing. Jeremy is not.

And maybe you are right about looking at the release point - which is what Jeremy looks to be doing - but it makes no sense to me.

Right, I showed Brees because he is very technically sound, and as you can tell even when he throws deep its hard to keep his head pointed down toward the target. Your body tilt on those throws makes it difficult. Even with his chin up it appears Brees' eyes are down field. I really can't tell for sure if Johnson is looking down field or not from his picture, because I can't see his eyes, maybe you can. If he is looking at his release point then I'd guess its just a habit formed over time. We quarterbacks are quite narcissistic. Especially as a young guy throwing a football, you can get caught up in how your ball looks rather than how precisely you are placing the ball. As a result you watch the ball and not the target, its common, but it is coached against. Obviously, it effects accuracy.

Is nobody going to bring up the fact we talked about Kiehl Frazier looking at the ball for two months? I'm too lazy to search it, but it went on, and on, and on, and...well you get the picture.

Is nobody going to bring up the fact we talked about Kiehl Frazier looking at the ball for two months? I'm too lazy to search it, but it went on, and on, and on, and...well you get the picture.

:-X

In the picture above, it looks like to me that Jeremy's left eye (which is the only one I can see) is looking downfield (like he's looking out of the lower left corner of his eye), even though his head is tilted up.

Personally, if he keeps playing like he's playing, I don't care where he looks.

Also, I did notice that he did a fantastic job of looking off the safeties on some of the deep balls. He actually looks as if he's going to throw it to the guy he's locked onto, and then he makes the switch. It doesn't look mechanical at all, like, say, Dak Prescott. When Dak looks one way, you can almost always expect him to throw the other. And the move looks rehearsed. JJ looks smooth.

In the picture above, it looks like to me that Jeremy's left eye (which is the only one I can see) is looking downfield (like he's looking out of the lower left corner of his eye), even though his head is tilted up.

Also, I did notice that he did a fantastic job of looking off the safeties on some of the deep balls. He actually looks as if he's going to throw it to the guy he's locked onto, and then he makes the switch. It doesn't look mechanical at all, like, say, Dak Prescott. When Dak looks one way, you can almost always expect him to throw the other. And the move looks rehearsed. JJ looks smooth.

I agree 100%! It almost looked carefree at times, very relaxed. May be the best QB (entering first year as starter at AU) in terms of athletic ability/QB skills as I have seen, in well...my lifetime.

I assure you none of our competition wants to see us with a great QB, who can run when needed. JJ can run, but he isn't Nick, or Cam. (close maybe) Anyone who saw what he did to Auburn HS, a few years ago, knows this as well.

I agree 100%! It almost looked carefree at times, very relaxed. May be the best QB (entering first year as starter at AU) in terms of athletic ability/QB skills as I have seen, in well...my lifetime.

I assure you none of our competition wants to see us with a great QB, who can run when needed. JJ can run, but he isn't Nick, or Cam. (close maybe) Anyone who saw what he did to Auburn HS, a few years ago, knows this as well.

Yep. Not Cam, but he'll be great!

:-X/>

His short to intermediate passes are money balls practically every time. That's so important. He keeps on throwing like that it's going to be record making time in Auburn next season.

:-X/>

His short to intermediate passes are money balls practically every time. That's so important. He keeps on throwing like that it's going to be record making time in Auburn next season.

Yep. Now if Muschamp can just get that D to perform .... I was actually impressed with the D's performance during A-Day. Looked like (dare I say it?) some generally sure tackling going on. Mont Adams will be a beast. Lawson back. Cowart coming in. LBs will be much improved. Matthews at safety. I think we'll surprise some folks this year.

He may be a more accurate passer than Cam was during his season at AU, if not as good on the run. during the A-day game broadcast, Jason Campbell said Jeremy reminded him of Rohan Davie.

He may be a more accurate passer than Cam was during his season at AU, if not as good on the run. during the A-day game broadcast, Jason Campbell said Jeremy reminded him of Rohan Davie.

I thought that was an interesting comparison. I don't see it at all, but I'm also not an NFL QB who has seen both of those guys up close.

Archived