Most racist places according to Google

IndianTiger

Interesting tool..

http://www.washingto...ding-to-google/

"most concentrated cluster of racist searches happened not in the South, but rather along the spine of the Appalachians running from Georgia all the way up to New York and southern Vermont"

Other hotbeds of racist searches appear in areas of the Gulf Coast, Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and a large portion of Ohio.

Information that provides a more consistent "share" of racism. Find a big city or confined rural areas and you will find a trend.

This may be appropriate for one form of 'racism' (i.e., white on black), but what about other forms of 'racism'? (I infer from that article that they're using the term 'racism' to mean prejudice against another race (or other races), and not necessarily its actual meaning of regarding another race (or other races) as inferior to one's own race.)

Information that provides a more consistent "share" of racism. Find a big city or confined rural areas and you will find a trend.

EMT, why is that the case? I do not disagree. Those are two polar opposites. Really strange.

This may be appropriate for one form of 'racism' (i.e., white on black), but what about other forms of 'racism'? (I infer from that article that they're using the term 'racism' to mean prejudice against another race (or other races), and not necessarily its actual meaning of regarding another race (or other races) as inferior to one's own race.)

It was told to me (on here) that races other than white can't be racist because they lack the power dynamic and privilege that is necessary to actually be racist.

In academia, where the term "racism" was coined, it is used to describe prejudice combined with power. Colloquially, we interchange the terms "racism" and "prejudice" but they weren't meant to be. So in that sense, it wouldn't make sense to refer to a minority who does not have social/economic/political power as "racist" for holding discriminatory or negative stereotypical views of another race that does have power.

In other words, all of us have prejudice. Black, brown, white, and every shade in between holds prejudicial views about others based on race, sex, religion, etc. But without the power dynamic it would be technically incorrect to say that everyone is "racist."

EMT, why is that the case? I do not disagree. Those are two polar opposites. Really strange.

My opinion.....the big cities and rural America share one common thread....poverty. Combine that with a lack of education and you create ignorance. Ignorance creates a breeding ground for all kinds of things such as racism, stereotyping, communal crime (drugs, gangs, etc.).

In academia' date=' where the term "racism" was coined, it is used to describe prejudice combined with power. Colloquially, we interchange the terms "racism" and "prejudice" but they weren't meant to be. So in that sense, it wouldn't make sense to refer to a minority who does not have social/economic/political power as "racist" for holding discriminatory or negative stereotypical views of another race that does have power.

In other words, all of us have prejudice. Black, brown, white, and every shade in between holds prejudicial views about others based on race, sex, religion, etc. But without the power dynamic it would be technically incorrect to say that everyone is "racist." [/quote']

I thought it came out of the same worldview that spawned eugenics and Nazi Germany - a belief in the inferiority of other races relative to one's own race. One doesn't have to have power to have this mindset; but I guess one has to have power in order to act on that mindset in large-scale destructive ways. I'm sure there are instances of non-white racism in places in the world other than Europe and North America.

Bottom line, we as human beings have proven ourselves to be pretty creative in coming up with ways to discriminate against and hurt one another.

In academia, where the term "racism" was coined, it is used to describe prejudice combined with power. Colloquially, we interchange the terms "racism" and "prejudice" but they weren't meant to be. So in that sense, it wouldn't make sense to refer to a minority who does not have social/economic/political power as "racist" for holding discriminatory or negative stereotypical views of another race that does have power.

In other words, all of us have prejudice. Black, brown, white, and every shade in between holds prejudicial views about others based on race, sex, religion, etc. But without the power dynamic it would be technically incorrect to say that everyone is "racist."

Taken from Webster:

a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

The word "Power" isn't even used. The power dynamic has been the excuse as to why only whites can be racist for decades, but by definition, a power dynamic is not required.

Taken from Webster:

a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

The word "Power" isn't even used. The power dynamic has been the excuse as to why only whites can be racist for decades, but by definition, a power dynamic is not required.

There ya go.

It always confused my when people used the power dynamic argument, but then said only white people could be racist. If it was defined by power then it would be a person by person judgement, and not a race one. Since a lower class white would have no power and a black lawyer or judge would have much power.

Taken from Webster:

Webster's Dictionary != academia

For instance, Webster's has various definitions of "work" that revolve around exerting effort. But the scientific (read: academic) definition of work is the use of force and effort to move an object. Under the scientific definition, if you push hard against a brick wall until you're sweating and worn out, you may have exerted effort but you did not do any work because the wall didn't move even a micron. But most people would call that work and according to Webster's and other common dictionaries, they'd be right.

Webster's deals more in colloquial usage of terms than it does specific technical or academic terms.

Archived