2016 4* WR Kyle Davis (AU commit 11/25/15)

RunInRed

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder how Kyle Davis is doing???

Who is Kyle Davis and why are you trying to hijack this thread? :dunno:/>

:) ha

On the other hand, if we can continue to run the ball as successfully as we've been doing, who cares about where WR prospects go? If a team can hang 40 on 'em and never throw a pass, then never pass...

The true days of strictly running offenses doesn't really exist anymore. At least if you want to be competitive and challenge for titles. You HAVE to have some ability to balance out your attack. It's just the way the game is played today.

Of course a team has to have some balance. But the talk of "airing it out" and all the enthusiasm concerning running it less leaves me cold. I think we'll keep on doing what we've been doing, that's pass when you get behind the chains or want to loosen the defense up, run the rest of the time. The offense hasn't been broke, lets don't fix it.

The defense is what's been broken and the overhauling of the coaching staff on that side of the ball should be the only the fix this team needs.

On the other hand, if we can continue to run the ball as successfully as we've been doing, who cares about where WR prospects go? If a team can hang 40 on 'em and never throw a pass, then never pass...

The true days of strictly running offenses doesn't really exist anymore. At least if you want to be competitive and challenge for titles. You HAVE to have some ability to balance out your attack. It's just the way the game is played today.

Of course a team has to have some balance. But the talk of "airing it out" and all the enthusiasm concerning running it less leaves me cold. I think we'll keep on doing what we've been doing, that's pass when you get behind the chains or want to loosen the defense up, run the rest of the time. The offense hasn't been broke, lets don't fix it.

The defense is what's been broken and the overhauling of the coaching staff on that side of the ball should be the only the fix this team needs.

I do not see up becoming a 50-50 ratio pass to run team this year. That is not Malzahn's offensive style.

More like 60% run, 40% pass ratio. That's for the year, not for each game.

Of course if defenses give us the pass, JJ and our receiving core will burn them. If they give us the run in order to shut down the pass (which they will not be able to do entirely), Javon, Roc, and Peyton will light them up.

This could actually be the best overall offense Auburn has ever had, ever!

If our D is in the top five of the SEC (which I fully expect), this team is going to be extremely hard to stop. Too much talent on both sides of the ball for this team not to be extremely special.

I think Gus's strategy is to attack the weakness(es) of the defenses he's playing against and score as many points as possible as quickly as possible. If that's through the air, then that's how he'll do it.

I don't think we are going to "air it out" per se, but I do think the plays/game stat - hasn't Malzahn said in the past he would like to be in the 85 plays range - will go from the mid 70's to the mid 80's. Those extra plays being through the air. Still think we run the ball 45-50 times a game. I just think we are going to pass in the 35 range, as well. Don't think our running goes down, just our pasing goes up

Don't think our running goes down, just our passing goes up

I'd certainly drink to that! :) In order for that to happen, your idea of running more plays per game will have to become reality. Defensive stops will be another key here. You can't run or pass if the opponent has the ball.

Don't think our running goes down, just our passing goes up

I'd certainly drink to that! :)/> In order for that to happen, your idea of running more plays per game will have to become reality. Defensive stops will be another key here. You can't run or pass if the opponent has the ball.

I don't know, as the season wore on, the opposition scored so quickly that AU had plenty of opportunities to operate it's offense....kinda like we were not too worried about what they did, we just wanted the ball back so we could rack up some yardage. This year I'm hoping we score more TDs and know how to get the ball into the end zone.

Soooo....About this Kyle Davis guy. I hear he is a stud and his dad wants him in a spread offense.

Soooo....About this Kyle Davis guy. I hear he is a stud and his dad wants him in a spread offense.

Dont let Gus hear ya call it a spread. He's corrected many a media member on terminology.

Bryan Matthews tweeted this afternoon that Kyle would be in AU today.

He was. AU is VERY much in this one.

Sounds good! It's rather obvious that our WR guys will have to block downfield or else ride the pine. These big strong types fill the bill.

Sounds good! It's rather obvious that our WR guys will have to block downfield or else ride the pine. These big strong types fill the bill.

IF Gus opens up the passing game this year we will land one of Davis or Craig. If not we will miss on both. Really that simple.

https://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1785677

Archer four-star receiver Kyle Davis didn't have much time to spend in Auburn on Thursday, so the senior from Lawrenceville, Ga. made it count.

Davis, ranked No. 158 in the Rivals250, watched Auburn receivers coach Dameyune Craig in action during a camp, and then met with him and Gus Malzahn after.

"It was good to get some 1-on-1 time with them," Davis said. "It was good to actually get to know them and converse with them. They showed me love, showed a lot of interest.

"I liked watching Coach Craig in camp. I didn't see him get mad at all and I was getting frustrated just watching kids drop the ball. He's real calm, cool and collected."

Davis, 6-foot-2 and 220 pounds, plans to return to Auburn in the fall. He'll have more time then to spend on campus than he did on Thursday.

"I plan on visiting for a game," Davis said. "I'm about to wrap up my summer."

Davis plans to visit Tennessee on Saturday. He also will trek to South Carolina before the end of the summer, but has yet to set a date. Davis is currently focusing on three schools, but declined to name them on Thursday.

As for a commitment, Davis doesn't have a timetable, but the sooner the better.

"I'll probably commit mid-season," Davis said "I really would like to get it over with because it's tough. It's overwhelming and I'm trying so hard to just focus on my school, but it's hard to."

Rivals ranks Davis the No. 33 receiver in 2016 and No. 16 overall player in Georgia.

IF Gus opens up the passing game this year we will land one of Davis or Craig. If not we will miss on both. Really that simple.

I don't expect any big change in our offensive play calling, unless the running game turns sour. That's another way of saying I think Gus will do whatever gives us the best chance to win. If that doesn't involve passing more, we won't pass more.

I don't expect any big change in our offensive play calling, unless the running game turns sour. That's another way of saying I think Gus will do whatever gives us the best chance to win. If that doesn't involve passing more, we won't pass more.

Mikey, CGM has said publicly that we're going to pass more... Multiple times at Media Days.

Mikey, CGM has said publicly that we're going to pass more... Multiple times at Media Days.

I happen to know for a fact Mikey is aware of this.

That said, Gus will not pass even one extra time just to secure a commitment from a HS player. If he does, then the beginning of the end will have occurred.

THAT said, we will be passing more!

If passing more means the running game is no longer getting it done, then passing more will be a bad thing. Lets wait and see if we pass more, and if so, why we pass more. Coachspeak aside, I'm betting we don't pass more to draw recruits.

If passing more means the running game is no longer getting it done, then passing more will be a bad thing. Lets wait and see if we pass more, and if so, why we pass more. Coachspeak aside, I'm betting we don't pass more to draw recruits.

I agree Mikey. If the ration is more, it won't be much and it will be to fit JJ's skills and not for recruits. If our D can get off the field we will pass more by default though as we will have more plays on offense. Also I think we will pass more because of JJ's skills set. He is much more comfortable passing than Nick was. I don't think the % ratio will change much though. Going from the 73 plays we ran a game the past couple of years to 80 if the D can get off the field and uping the pass ratio 5% yield a good number of more total passes, around 90-100 more in a season.

I agree Mikey. If the ration is more, it won't be much and it will be to fit JJ's skills and not for recruits. If our D can get off the field we will pass more by default though as we will have more plays on offense. Also I think we will pass more because of JJ's skills set. He is much more comfortable passing than Nick was. I don't think the % ratio will change much though. Going from the 73 plays we ran a game the past couple of years to 80 if the D can get off the field and uping the pass ratio 5% yield a good number of more total passes, around 90-100 more in a season.

And the number of completions per game will go up because JJ is the one doing the chunking.

Archived