2016 4* WR Kyle Davis (AU commit 11/25/15)

RunInRed

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we will see more balance as far as run/pass go. That said I think our production in the run game will remain about the same due to the threat of the pass. Overall, Our yards per play avg I think will increase.

If passing more means the running game is no longer getting it done, then passing more will be a bad thing. Lets wait and see if we pass more, and if so, why we pass more. Coachspeak aside, I'm betting we don't pass more to draw recruits.

I agree Mikey. If the ration is more, it won't be much and it will be to fit JJ's skills and not for recruits. If our D can get off the field we will pass more by default though as we will have more plays on offense. Also I think we will pass more because of JJ's skills set. He is much more comfortable passing than Nick was. I don't think the % ratio will change much though. Going from the 73 plays we ran a game the past couple of years to 80 if the D can get off the field and uping the pass ratio 5% yield a good number of more total passes, around 90-100 more in a season.

And the number of completions per game will go up because JJ is the one doing the chunking.

This remains to be seen. I believe it was an interview in this thread where KD said he got tired of seeing the dropped balls.

We should pass a little more just based on the players we have in JJ @ qb, Duuuuuke @ reciever, two other srs @ receiver, and a pretty good looking offensive line. Defenses having to prepare for the passing option should also open up the run game, and the yards per run average, by spreading the defense out more. All that being said, Gus will do whatever is working best to win games.

If passing more means the running game is no longer getting it done, then passing more will be a bad thing. Lets wait and see if we pass more, and if so, why we pass more. Coachspeak aside, I'm betting we don't pass more to draw recruits.

I agree Mikey. If the ration is more, it won't be much and it will be to fit JJ's skills and not for recruits. If our D can get off the field we will pass more by default though as we will have more plays on offense. Also I think we will pass more because of JJ's skills set. He is much more comfortable passing than Nick was. I don't think the % ratio will change much though. Going from the 73 plays we ran a game the past couple of years to 80 if the D can get off the field and uping the pass ratio 5% yield a good number of more total passes, around 90-100 more in a season.

And the number of completions per game will go up because JJ is the one doing the chunking.

This remains to be seen. I believe it was an interview in this thread where KD said he got tired of seeing the dropped balls.

Unless AU players were passing and catching in the camp, I don't think it's relevant.

I think we will pass alittle more because i think Gus wants a more balanced attack. Maybe not 50 50 but close. We ran mostly over that last 2 years because at times thats all we could do consistently. If JJ shows early that he can hit the throws that the running game opens up then we will see more throws as the season progresses. Thats my opinion.

Unless AU players were passing and catching in the camp, I don't think it's relevant.

^^^THIS^^^ He wasn't talking about AU's WR. He was talking about HS kids. :headscratch:

Again, if passing more gives us the best chance of scoring points and winning, we will do it. It's not complicated or mysterious.

100% agree. Gus will call the plays that give us the best chance to win. If passing less gives us the best chance to win, then we'll pass less. Not at all complicated or mysterious.

I think if any coach could run the ball effectively with minimal passing, they would. What's the old saying, there are 3 things that can happen when you pass and 2 of them are bad? Thing is, there are few teams that can sit and pound the running game without getting stuffed (AU 2013 not withstanding).

The net is they do what they need to do to move the ball and score.

I think if any coach could run the ball effectively with minimal passing, they would. What's the old saying, there are 3 things that can happen when you pass and 2 of them are bad? Thing is, there are few teams that can sit and pound the running game without getting stuffed (AU 2013 not withstanding).

That used to be the case but not so much anymore. Baylor and TCU are examples.

A number of coaches buy in all the way on football analytics. The numbers tell you that going for it more often on fourth down is the higher value proposition so some teams go for it on fourth down as a matter of course (the Lions last year were an example with 20 fourth down attempts and a 50% conversion rate; Spurrier did the same thing to us last year; then there's Pulaski Academy which never punts).

In the same vein, the expected yardage per play for a pass attempt is higher. That's why you saw and continue to see the rise of Air Raid, spread passing games. The theory is: give yourself the highest expected return for each play and live with the results. Even if you fail a number of times, eventually the numbers will bend in your favor so pass the ball. If you've ever visited smartfootball.com or read Chris Brown's work, you've heard this before.

The interesting question/analysis is winning percentage to run percentage, which often shows that good teams run the ball more often even though a run play is empirically inferior to a pass (for most teams). It's not as easy as saying "pass more and win more", but throwing the ball is the easiest way to boost your offensive performance. There are a bunch of good coaches that are 100% in on the passing game, and they use the run game as little more than a decoy or a counter play (popping a draw into 6 or 7 straight passes). Gus doesn't fall into that category, but he's also never had a pure passer on Johnson's level. I suspect the offense will look different this fall. It certainly did in the first half against Arkansas.

Or it may be their running game is not so dominant?

Or it may be their running game is not so dominant?

Speaking of Baylor, just drove past the stadium. Wow, it is a thing of beauty.

The passing game will be more polished this year, therefore, Gus will depend on it more. The run game will be better because defenses won't be able to load up in the box or JJ and company will torch them.

Also, Kyle Davis is a perfect fit at Auburn and Gus's offense.

A number of coaches buy in all the way on football analytics. The numbers tell you that going for it more often on fourth down is the higher value proposition so some teams go for it on fourth down as a matter of course (the Lions last year were an example with 20 fourth down attempts and a 50% conversion rate; Spurrier did the same thing to us last year; then there's Pulaski Academy which never punts).

In the same vein, the expected yardage per play for a pass attempt is higher. That's why you saw and continue to see the rise of Air Raid, spread passing games. The theory is: give yourself the highest expected return for each play and live with the results. Even if you fail a number of times, eventually the numbers will bend in your favor so pass the ball. If you've ever visited smartfootball.com or read Chris Brown's work, you've heard this before.

The interesting question/analysis is winning percentage to run percentage, which often shows that good teams run the ball more often even though a run play is empirically inferior to a pass (for most teams). It's not as easy as saying "pass more and win more", but throwing the ball is the easiest way to boost your offensive performance. There are a bunch of good coaches that are 100% in on the passing game, and they use the run game as little more than a decoy or a counter play (popping a draw into 6 or 7 straight passes). Gus doesn't fall into that category, but he's also never had a pure passer on Johnson's level. I suspect the offense will look different this fall. It certainly did in the first half against Arkansas.

Gus adjusts to his people and to the other team. The hogs were better at stopping the run then the pass so Gus played to that based on Johnson's skill set and the Hog weakness against the pass.

• 3 weeks later...

Davis said in an Interview today with the GA 247 guy, Kipp Adams that he wants to go to the same school that Jamyest Williams goes to. Says he is his guy. Davis said he will commit by 10/23/15. Right now, UGA has most of both Davis's and Williams' crystal ball predictions.

Davis said his goal this year is to not drop a single ball.

Davis said in an Interview today with the GA 247 guy, Kipp Adams that he wants to go to the same school that Jamyest Williams goes to. Says he is his guy. Davis said he will commit by 10/23/15. Right now, UGA has most of both Davis's and Williams' crystal ball predictions.

"I want him so bad."

"I want him so bad."

No judging here. I am OK with whoever you want. JK.

Of the remaining receiver targets I like, and I like a lot of them quite a bit, Davis is the one I'd like to get the most. I'm hoping Duke lights it up this season and Davis can see himself stepping into that role with JJ or Sean throwing to him.

Davis is ready right now. We would love to get him. Its hard not to like Nate Craig Myers as well. I think D Craig has several very good receivers he is recruitting that would be great to have.

Personally, I think Davis will come down to AU or UGA. It won't be easy.

Archived